Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 06:03 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm a "veteran" of San Francisco, as I've been here since age 6... and I correct people on the Frisco thing all the time. You can say it if you want, but there are PLENTY of long-time residents who shudder at that word. But yes, the rappers & thug-types do use it as slang, but just in recent years. Oh, and yes I'm white (but not really sure what "class" I am), but my multiracial roommate also hates when people say Frisco - so your assumptions are incorrect in my observations.
They aren't assumptions. They're observations, mainly of people I know and with whom I consort. They may be based on too small a sample size, but there is a basis for my theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
LOL I can't believe I'm reading this. In my experience, the only people who shorten it to Frisco, are either young who are transplants, or people who live in the suburbs and come there to party.

As far as the rappers go......what can you think of that rhymes with San Francisco? lol
They just have to rhyme with "O!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 06:32 PM

495 posts, read 1,831,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
.......Ha!

Old 11-24-2007, 06:40 PM

I'm a semi-native, been here since age 13. When I want to joke around or raise eyebrows deliberately I call it "frisco". It's just known that you don't call it frisco, it's hard for me to even type it, ha, it just sounds so cheesy. When the word exits your mouth, it will irritate a native for whatever reason and they will immediately know you just arrived or are clueless. Call it what you want, but this is the truth. If you want to pretend you know what you're talking about at least, simply call it San Francisco or the city. But when you call it "the city", keep in mind you may **** off folks who reside in nearby cities, ie Oakland, Berkeley, San Jose etc. You can't win. lol.

Good luck on your interview and have fun!

Old 11-24-2007, 06:41 PM

wow, you can't type the word that rhymes with bliss?

this really is a PG forum. hahaa. i can respect this.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:54 PM

875 posts, read 1,093,481 times
Quote:
They aren't assumptions. They're observations, mainly of people I know and with whom I consort. They may be based on too small a sample size, but there is a basis for my theory.

:::::scratching head in disbelief::::::::

Old 11-24-2007, 07:16 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,361,673 times
I was born in SF and lived there until I was 16, then moved to the suburbs for 2 years, then back to SF until I was 30. Everyone I knew who was from San Francisco called it San Francisco! When I moved to the suburbs, San Francisco was frequently referred to as "the City". When my SF friends would hear someone talking about "the City", they'd ask, "what city?"

I never heard anyone in real life refer to SF as "Frisco"!

Old 11-24-2007, 08:53 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Call It Frisco » The Frisco Manifesto (http://www.callitfrisco.com/manifesto/ - broken link)

Call It Frisco
LMAO. That being said, can we try to get back on topic? Hopefully the original poster got the point - if nothing else that "Frisco" is a touchy subject.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:11 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Regular people do often say "Frisco." Transplants come along, masquerade as veterans of the city and spew all this "don't say Frisco" business. You can tell how new someone is to the place by how enraged they are by the word. Correcting someone is like a rite of passage, or so they think. I've also noticed that the anti-Frisco people are generally white and middle-to-upper class. Listen to any Bay Area rapper and it's always "Frisco" in place of "San Francisco."
I've lived in San Jose for 11 years and have never heard anyone in the Bay Area refer to SF as "Frisco".

Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 AM

832 posts, read 3,853,968 times
Quote:
Regular people do often say "Frisco." Transplants come along, masquerade as veterans of the city and spew all this "don't say Frisco" business. You can tell how new someone is to the place by how enraged they are by the word. Correcting someone is like a rite of passage, or so they think. I've also noticed that the anti-Frisco people are generally white and middle-to-upper class. Listen to any Bay Area rapper and it's always "Frisco" in place of "San Francisco."
That's absurd. San Francisco is not 'Frisco.' The rapper sounds like an ignorant fool, as is that manifesto.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:02 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,811 times
Frisco is a name fit for a dog or possibly a new brand of soda but Frisco is not fit as a reference for the City by the Bay - thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland