Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 5,621 times

Advertisements

We have three kids and are looking to relocate to the bay area. Is love to live in the city itself, and ideally would have close proximity to the beach or surfing, good schools, and lots of sun... I realize that these things, due to the geography of San Francisco, might not go together. I'd love suggestions for family friendly areas with lots of sun and great places to eat, etc within walking distance. If you have any info on how schools work in the area, I'd love to hear that, too. We are up in the air about whether to try to live in the city or better in a BART connected suburb. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 10:02 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
What's your budget?

Old 08-31-2013, 10:32 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
What's your budget?
The $50,000 question. Where can you afford to live? Do you plan to rent, or buy?

Good schools & lots of sun = Lafayette, Walnut Creek, or Marin County.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Assuming based on your desire to live in sf, you want walkable. Try Albany and Alameda.

But the most important question besides budget is your job location. Commuting is not easy in the Bay Area.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:20 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Assuming based on your desire to live in sf, you want walkable. Try Albany and Alameda.

But the most important question besides budget is your job location. Commuting is not easy in the Bay Area.

Totally agreed.
Even if you live and work in the city. It is not unusual to spend at least 45 minute each way on the bus to go to work, or even take 2 buses each way. Not to mention if you live in the peninsula or east bay and want to commute to city. Sad life!!

Old 08-31-2013, 05:08 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Santa Clara is sunny, safe, good schools from what I hear, only 30 minutes to the beach at Santa Cruz. It's pretty suburban, though, not a real downtown anymore, so there's tons of shopping and green belts and parks, etc., but you'll probably be driving to shop/dine. Warmer than the East Bay, cooler than Walnut Creek. Lots of sun.

Mountain View is walkable, and it's a rich town, so I'd assume schools would be good there, and also not far to the ocean.

Alameda is cooler, walkable, good farmer's market, shallow warm beach on the bay. Safe, heard the schools are good.

So much really depends on where you will work and your budget as others have said. Commuting here is a major factor in quality of life.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:50 PM

243 posts, read 467,420 times
Almost all of Bay Area cities are sunny and majority family friendly. But almost all are suburban and not very walkable.Even the densest ones, such as Albany are not super walkable, but it depend on exact location in the town. Best schools according to greatschools are in Albany, Fremont, Cupertino and Palo Alto. BART connected are Fremont and Albany. Walnut Creek has good enough schools, but it may be little too hot in summers.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:48 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkhd2 View Post
Almost all of Bay Area cities are sunny and majority family friendly. But almost all are suburban and not very walkable.Even the densest ones, such as Albany are not super walkable, but it depend on exact location in the town. Best schools according to greatschools are in Albany, Fremont, Cupertino and Palo Alto. BART connected are Fremont and Albany. Walnut Creek has good enough schools, but it may be little too hot in summers.
I think you are speaking of all of Bay Area as a whole, but some parts are more walkable than others. Technically any city on the peninsula is suburban, but many are very walkable. I'm thinking of San Mateo, Palo Alto, Mountain View, etc. They are also very bike friendly.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:38 PM

243 posts, read 467,420 times
Mountain View is more or less walkable in Downtown area, which is less desirable, because it does not feed to Los Altos school ditrict and it is too close to East Palo Alto. Palo Alto is mostly non-walkable except for some parts. None of them are accessible by BART

Old 09-01-2013, 01:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Sometimes people confuse walkable commercial district with walkability. They aren't quite the same.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland