Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:19 PM

8 posts, read 29,072 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to move out to CA in a few months and I am looking into the Bay Area. Interested in Cal State at Hayward. I've heard some good and bad. I wanna be close to the city without the city prices. Anyone got any suggestions for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 17,418 times
Hello...
I'm born and raised in that area. Cal State is a great school, however, Hayward has it's good and bad areas just like anywhere. I would recommend the up near the college, or even Castro Valley has some nice areas. Downtown Hayward can be a bit rough in some areas around "A" St.
I would also recommend looking into the Tri Valley area (Pleasanton, Dublin, & Livermore). Great areas, not too far, and reverse commute.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-15-2007, 01:16 AM

30,382 posts, read 51,991,511 times
I'm moving this to the SF forum, since you'll probably find more advice there...

Old 11-15-2007, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,987 times
Lots of plusses, centrally located, cheap gas, friendly people, diversity, BART, AMTRAK, parks, trails, bay, hills, lots of rentals. If you're going to Cal State you DON'T want to live in Pleasanton,etc,...... The freeway is a parking lot. Living close to school would save you sooooo much $$$$$. The area around A St. has some problems but it should not be highlighted because every city has conflicts and ours are small compared to some of the bigger cities. It's very easy to live in one part of Hayward and never leave that neighborhood. As for me I enjoy visiting all the neighborhoods.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:29 AM

87 posts, read 524,217 times
I was just going to post a Hayward topic, but I guess I can use this one! How is the area around the Hayward BART station? Would it be safe to walk in that area, perhaps later at night (11PM or so)? Is there location specific crime statistics for Hayward?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:26 PM

8 posts, read 50,011 times
Hayward isn't THAT "ghetto", it all depends what part you are in. Around the bart station meaning bayfair? I personally don't think its safe ANYWHERE to walk at 11pm at night by yourself. lol. but like babygrn said dublin/pleasanton/san ramon area is very safe BUT expensive. Union City isnt that bad either, and it's close to hayward.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:30 PM

Thanks Jenny. Looking at the official BART map, I see a "Bay Fair" station and a "Hayward" station. I mean the one they call Hayward. I'm considering living in an apartment adjacent to the BART station, walking to the train every day, and commuting to work. I anticipate working late occasionally, so 11PM would probably be the latest I would arrive home...

Old 11-15-2007, 06:04 PM

30,382 posts, read 51,991,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswedc View Post
Thanks Jenny. Looking at the official BART map, I see a "Bay Fair" station and a "Hayward" station. I mean the one they call Hayward. I'm considering living in an apartment adjacent to the BART station, walking to the train every day, and commuting to work. I anticipate working late occasionally, so 11PM would probably be the latest I would arrive home...
If it's literally adjacent to the station, I don't think it would be a problem... like the others said, Hayward has a few problems, but it's not exactly the most dangerous place here. Btw, are you a man? As a woman I always have to be more careful, unfortunately - men generally don't get messed with as much.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:11 PM

718 posts, read 2,689,970 times
i would recomend living on campus if possible, or near the school or castro valley.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:05 PM

Yup I'm a guy. Guess I just need to stop reading Apartment Reviews. If you listen to that site it seems there isn't a single apartment complex in the Bay Area that doesn't experience constant theft and car break ins!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland