Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:20 PM

495 posts, read 1,831,221 times

Advertisements

ABC News: Major Quake Kills 2 in Northern Chile

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g203/crystalsbones/earthquake.jpg (broken link)

This could really, really happen anywhere in CaliFornia. It seems like we should take heed and help those in other countries who get slammed with a big quake as well as really get a clue and prepare ourselves. Inevitably a major quake will hit the Hayward, San Andreas or the other fault lines. I personally am not really great about earthquake preparedness and this is waking me up!

Two people died and hundreds are displaced/injured in Chile. People died and suffered awful injuries in the Loma Prieta Quake in '89. It's no joke. Get prepared and have your emergency plan ready.

I'm going to start today.

Earthquake Store - Emergency Supplies Checklist

Earthquake Education: Bay Area Community Resources (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/earthquakes/archive/quakeresources.dtl - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 03:51 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,584,330 times
They predict with 70% certainty that withing by 2030 a 7.1 or bigger quake will hit the Hayward fault. Ouch. I admit I'm not great about quake preparedness.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:53 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,103,995 times
Being prepared as much as you can is a good thing!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:55 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
well,
aside from having our house bolted to its foundation, stocking up on 6 months worth of emergency supplies, being insured up the wazoo and praying...there's nothing more I can do.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
well,
aside from having our house bolted to its foundation, stocking up on 6 months worth of emergency supplies, being insured up the wazoo and praying...there's nothing more I can do.

True, if a building falls on your head there's not too much you can do about that. But I'd say you're doing a lot actually! I don't have one day's worth of emergency supplies. But I'm working on it.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:00 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodlvr View Post
True, if a building falls on your head there's not too much you can do about that. But I'd say you're doing a lot actually! I don't have one day's worth of emergency supplies. But I'm working on it.
Here's a money saving tip: Wal Mart(but you didnt hear it from me)

Old 11-15-2007, 05:57 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,438 times
Katrina (and the government response) was the wakeup call for us. Earthquakes and fires can both cause huge problems in our area. The wife and I have a three day supply of food, water, clothes, toiletries, drugs and medical supplies in each of our cars and also at work, along with another week’s supply at home. Tent, sleeping bags, copies of records (including computer records) in a safe deposit box, etc.

There are a lot of things that can easily be done. For instance, never let your vehicle’s gas tank get under half full (don’t want to run out of gas during that evacuation, and gas stations may have no power, or gas). Medical supplies: all the bandaids in the world may not do much when a window or mirror take a large slice out of you – make sure you have some big-ass bandages and tape and such around.

Spent a bit of money getting MREs from http://www.saratogatradingcompany.com/ (love the five year shelf life) and emergency supply kits from a local company, http://www.earlybirdsafety.com/.

There are a number of local communities that are providing free emergency prep training, and assisting in organizing neighborhood groups to coordinate potential emergency responses in the absence of any official government assistance.

Basically every week I try to take one positive step to prepare for the worst. For instance, this week I finally got around to unburying our gas shutoff valve (buried by electrical contractors a while back) and put a shutoff wrench nearby.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Here's a money saving tip: Wal Mart(but you didnt hear it from me)
HAAAHAA!

At first glance, I thought you meant this is where you should go when the ground starts shaking. lol. Glad it's friday.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post

There are a lot of things that can easily be done. For instance, never let your vehicle’s gas tank get under half full (don’t want to run out of gas during that evacuation, and gas stations may have no power, or gas). Medical supplies: all the bandaids in the world may not do much when a window or mirror take a large slice out of you – make sure you have some big-ass bandages and tape and such around.
Thank you, very good tips! Never considered the gas tank, but it's true.

You made me laugh with regard to the bandaids. I've been seriously injured before in remote areas and you do need to have the 'big ass bandages' ready for sure.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:55 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times
The 1989 earthquake did a lot for our housing market in the foothills. I have a son that lives in Redwood City and the possibilities scare me a bit. I can't seem to get his mother to consider moving up here somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland