Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 05:45 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,361,673 times

Advertisements

If you are working at SFO and living in/near San Bruno, attending CC at Skyline (in San Bruno) would probably be most convenient. BART goes directly to SFO (if you plan to take public transportation. Some employees at SFO are able to park in the free employee lot, so check that out, too). Look into Skyline College to see if they have your major. If they don't, check out the College of San Mateo's majors (CSM is located in San Mateo, approximately 12 miles south of San Bruno. Driving is very convenient by freeway to either location).

Degrees / Certificates | Academics - Skyline College
Degrees & Certificates at College of San Mateo - Overview

Look at both CC's websites to see if you like the "feel" of the CC. If not, there are more CC's further south (or across the bay). And follow the news for CCSF to see what actually happens.

It does get VERY foggy at Skyline College. If you want a more sunny area, move to San Mateo, attend College of San Mateo in that city, and either drive to Millbrae's BART station (if using public transportation to SFO) or drive to SFO's employee parking lot.

Last edited by twins4lynn; 11-04-2013 at 05:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 08:31 PM

10 posts, read 13,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
If you are working at SFO and living in/near San Bruno, attending CC at Skyline (in San Bruno) would probably be most convenient. BART goes directly to SFO (if you plan to take public transportation. Some employees at SFO are able to park in the free employee lot, so check that out, too). Look into Skyline College to see if they have your major. If they don't, check out the College of San Mateo's majors (CSM is located in San Mateo, approximately 12 miles south of San Bruno. Driving is very convenient by freeway to either location).

Degrees / Certificates | Academics - Skyline College
Degrees & Certificates at College of San Mateo - Overview

Look at both CC's websites to see if you like the "feel" of the CC. If not, there are more CC's further south (or across the bay). And follow the news for CCSF to see what actually happens.

It does get VERY foggy at Skyline College. If you want a more sunny area, move to San Mateo, attend College of San Mateo in that city, and either drive to Millbrae's BART station (if using public transportation to SFO) or drive to SFO's employee parking lot.
This was the answer I was looking for, as for fogginess I'm not too worried about fog so that's the least of my worries, it was the commute to work and school was my concern. So the above answered my concern. As for CC's I'd like to transfer to SFSU so I assume all the cc's have a program that at least make the transition and transfer to SFSU painless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Uh, no. I'm not sure what those reasons are, but for whatever reason if you're convinced that your life will be better on the Peninsula go for it. It's 2x as expensive as most parts of the East Bay, it's not very well connected to BART or public transit, and Skyline College in particular is socked in with fog most of the time. De Anza or College of San Mateo would be the best school on the Peninsula, so I would drive if I were you.
As for the reason I wanted to try to stay on the peninsula, work and study is the Veterans Affairs (I'm in the reserves with three deployments so I'm using my GI bill benefits, I dedicated my service to my country and now its time for my country to take care of me I still serve and will be willing to go on another deployment btw.) would pay a higher stipend of me going to school in SF vs Oakland, where I could actually find a place to stay and actually live off of pretty well and not worry too much along with not worrying about my commute to work. If I choose to stay in Oakland and study in the east bay area I would get less from the Veterans Affairs if I did the math of the cost of living which is a couple hundred dollars difference. Which can mean a lot to people. (I plan on rooming that's why.)

Last edited by maui87a; 11-04-2013 at 08:46 PM..

Old 11-04-2013, 08:39 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui87a View Post
As for CC's I'd like to transfer to SFSU so I assume all the cc's have a program that at least make the transition and transfer to SFSU painless?
Look at assist.org for the exact Community College/SFSU course articulation agreements.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui87a View Post
This was the answer I was looking for, as for fogginess I'm not too worried about fog so that's the least of my worries, it was the commute to work and school was my concern. So the above answered my concern. As for CC's I'd like to transfer to SFSU so I assume all the cc's have a program that at least make the transition and transfer to SFSU painless?

As for the reason I wanted to try to stay on the peninsula, work and study is the Veterans Affairs (I'm in the reserves with three deployments so I'm using my GI bill benefits, I dedicated my service to my country and now its time for my country to take care of me I still serve and will be willing to go on another deployment btw.) would pay a higher stipend of me going to school in SF vs Oakland, where I could actually find a place to stay and actually live off of pretty well and not worry too much along with not worrying about my commute to work. If I choose to stay in Oakland and study in the east bay area I would get less from the Veterans Affairs if I did the math of the cost of living which is a couple hundred dollars difference. Which can mean a lot to people. (I plan on rooming that's why.)
I see. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I don't think there's any advantage in living on the Peninsula over the East Bay other than you save a few dollars on bridge toll. The weather certainly isn't nicer and your dollars don't go as far rent-wise. I understand that your GI bill pays more for living over there, but it certainly doesn't mean you will have a better standard of living- it's so much more expensive, so you probably won't have as nice of place/living situation. If you had a family and kids and were looking for something suburban and quiet, I could see it, but I think Berkeley, Oakland, and Walnut Creek (close to DVC) are much more interesting/exciting than San Bruno or the cheaper parts of the Peninsula where you'll likely end up. Either way, good luck and thanks for your service.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:42 AM

All the CC's in the bay area are in the priority area for SFSU (which means if you meet the requirements you will be admitted ahead of those living out of the priority are). If your CC has an AS-T or AA-T in your major (the "T" stands for transfer) and you meet all requirements you will be guaranteed admittance to a csu as a junior and will be required to complete no more than 60 units to complete your bachelors degree. Here is info. on AA-T/AS-T at Skyline Transfer Degrees | Transfer Center - Skyline College

Some majors at SFSU are impacted and may have additional requirements.

Also, see your counselor/adviser at the CC for a Student Education Plan (SEP). Student Educational Plan | Counseling - Skyline College You will also get a higher class registration date with an SEP than without.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:57 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The community colleges are everywhere. There are 3 about equal distance from where I live. Mission College, DeAnza College and San Jose City College.

I think you ought to decide where you want to live first,then find a community college nearby. Seriously, they're everywhere.

By the way, in CA, if you get your undergraduate credits through a community college, you get automatic transfer as a junior to the CA state colleges and/or universities. It's a great system.
Not quite that simple - you have to get a certain GPA, and the agreements are between the individual schools, and some majors have different requirements (or don't offer a guaranteed transfer because it is impacted).

I went from SBCC to UCSB, and got a guaranteed transfer, but I had to maintain at least a 3.6 GPA for the major I transferred under.

So it is of course very doable, just make sure you hit up the admissions office / counselors to get the details worked out.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:49 PM

10 posts, read 13,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Not quite that simple - you have to get a certain GPA, and the agreements are between the individual schools, and some majors have different requirements (or don't offer a guaranteed transfer because it is impacted).

I went from SBCC to UCSB, and got a guaranteed transfer, but I had to maintain at least a 3.6 GPA for the major I transferred under.

So it is of course very doable, just make sure you hit up the admissions office / counselors to get the details worked out.
I will def look into it. I'm just crossing my fingers that since the California college credit system is modeled after Florida since they passed a bill a couple years ago that there shouldn't be any mishaps with the transfer or if I have to retake any classes.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:57 AM

The previous comment(s) were referring to transferring from CC to the UC's, which is a different process than transferring from a CC to your priority area CSU (the CC to UC transfer will involve IGETC, TAG or possibly TAP, which are not part of the CC to CSU transfer process).

As to which of your classes will transfer, you will have to request a transcript evaluation after you have enrolled in at least 6 units at our local cc's - Overview | Transcript Evaluation-SMCCD and Overview | Transcript Evaluation-SMCCD (those are two different links although titled the same) - put in the evaluation as soon as you have registered and paid for your classes due to the time delay in receiving your results.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Again, I think you really need to look at where you would like to live, and what school you want to go to. As others have said, a couple of hundred dollars is nothing here when you are looking at a more expensive area vs a more affordable one. And, ironically, the cheaper areas can actually have much more going for them as far as entertainment, transportation, etc., if you don't have kids who need to be in a particular school district.

Whatever you do, realize that you can change your mind once you get here. The state colleges generally transfer units pretty readily.

Best of luck to you.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:08 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Honestly, I'd ignore the advice from the previous post. Do your research and pick a school that's an optimal fit. Transfer credits from all over the Bay Area certainly won't make you look like a serious, dedicated applicant. As someone who's taught at various JCs in the Bay Area, I can tell you that students who picked a school that 'fit' and stuck with it are far more likely to transfer to the institution of their choice than those who bounced around. Do your research and pick a school that's the best possible fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland