Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:27 PM

4 posts, read 4,846 times

Advertisements

Howdy folks!

So I'm a recently graduated and registered EMT-B who lives north of the Seattle area in Washington. I'm currently almost finished with my AA and will be working on my BS soon. I plan on going to the Tuoro University for Osteopathic Medicine in about 3 years and living with some family in the Napa area, likely in the hills outside of the main city.

Currently I'm twenty years old and there only happens to be one EMS agency that is non fire based in my county. They said they would review my application once I turn 21 as their insurance won't cover me for now. I only really plan on being an EMT through school, but I do feel I will thoroughly enjoy the job given my personality.

Frankly I'm looking for the EMT job that will pay the best so that I can work and pay off my debt while in school. I'm curious as to what is the best option and pay rate/salary of Firefighter EMT's, Private EMTs and ER techs? Being an ER tech is great because I would get clinical experience, but I would prefer to be out in the field as well as work on a schedule where I can do my homework while I'm at work. Of these three which are the most difficult and easiest to get a job in? I'm not entirely concerned with that factor, but it's something nice to know.

Next fall quarter I can take the fire training course and afterwards start volunteering as a Firefighter/EMT. I'm not entirely sure if I want to do that. My questions are, if I get fire training here will they want me to retake it in California? (Because if so I'm not sure that it's worth it for me to delay my schooling for this).
If I then pass a fire exam and become a paid firefighter will I be able to do my work in California or do I need to pass another test?
Should I or do I need to get a higher level of EMT like EMT-I or EMT-A? What's the call ratio of EMS to EMT in the area?

Also what's the difference between working in a city like Vallejo, Napa and Fairfield between San Francisco and Sacramento? I'm interested in the difference of pay and any other factors you may think are important.

I really appreciate any feedback, thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 09:50 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
I don't think either pays very well in CA, unfortunately

http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=EMT&l1=san+francisco

Old 02-09-2014, 11:43 PM

Thanks.

My question is more related to Fire EMS vs Private EMS vs ER Tech however.

EDIT: And I'm skeptical of those websites, I would be more comfortable with some information from somebody who is involved in this.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
The fast-growing company in your area:

https://falcknc.candidatecare.jobs/

Old 02-11-2014, 12:29 AM

To rephrase the question simply, what sort of salaries do Private EMT-B's, Firefighters, and ER techs make in the area?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:39 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
OP, look at the websites for city/county jobs. They always list the salary as well as all required eduction, etc. That's the best way to gauge what kind of salary you can be making in that city/county.

For instance, here's the job descriptions for Santa Clara County (which includes San Jose, Santa Clara, Palo Alto, etc.):

Job Specifications - Employee Services Agency - County of Santa Clara

Here's the county fire dept job descriptions:

Job Descriptions

Old 02-12-2014, 11:58 PM

37 posts, read 91,226 times
To the OP, sounds like you're getting ahead of yourself considering your planned move isn't for a few years yet. A lot can change between now and then.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:30 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,072,310 times
How will you work while enrolled in med school? Touro is a D.O. program which IS full blown 4 years of med school. Also, I think there could be a blog or website/professional organization for your field, where you can find more details about salaries, etc. Google average salary for different job titles plus the city, and you will get a median, as well. [not 100% reliable but an idea].

Have you checked out the DO program in WA state? It's in Yakima and is fairly new. They may be offering in state scholarships, too, if you agree to practice in the PNW for a few years after graduation. [I am not sure; I just know that med schools sometimes do this].

It doesn't seem like having a potentially high pressure/stress job like EMT, while in med school, is the ideal course, IMO. I'd consider other options, especially since you seem to be trying to convince yourself that you want to do that type of job.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:57 AM

398 posts, read 1,331,843 times
It is going to be extremely more expensive here in the Bay Area in the next three years. You could make the same EMT salary in the Seattle area, and your money will go way farther. You could probably even purchase some property in Washington, on an EMT salary. Just a thought.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:22 PM

Thanks everybody, I appreciate the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland