Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:35 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times

Advertisements

Any opinions on how to improve this area?

San Francisco neighborhood gets left behind in boom times - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 11:18 AM

163 posts, read 273,520 times
Drug dealers and criminals don't belong anywhere. They harm communities in a million ways possible.
I'm actually for gentrifying this area and slowly pushing out the undesirables such as drug dealers, etc. Why so much compassion for these kinds?

I don't know how possible it is, but they can gentrify and still possibly keep this slightly more affordable for lower middle class income earners, not necessarily super high-tech income. But I think the bigger problem is the residents and the people per se are the ones who need the bigger improvement. These people need to get up, do what they can to make their lives better instead of hanging out on the streets begging for drug money.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:14 PM

411 posts, read 720,095 times
Walked through the Tenderloin yesterday unintentionally as it just sorta jumps out of nowhere after you walk past posh Union Square, and then suddenly ends when you hit Market Street

it's a high concentration of utter blight and poverty--and it really really smells

i can't think of a good way to fix it. Quite honestly, I was just looking at buildings and thinking of blowing them up

Old 02-15-2014, 04:25 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
As long as I can remember going back to the 1960s, the Tenderloin area has always been in terrible shape.

That area happens to be the S.F. theater district. I recall leaving performances from the Golden Gate Theatre at night and the area took on a different feel and look. Walking to the car at night was always an adventure.

I believe this area has the highest concentration of liquor stores.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post

I believe this area has the highest concentration of liquor stores.
Maybe that's part of the problem? I've heard for years people complaining about too many liquor stores in poor urban areas. Many of these areas have plenty of liquor stores and few grocery stores(food deserts).

Old 02-15-2014, 08:51 PM

At 4:20 of the video.

Is there some merit to that guy's complaint that non profits play a part in hampering needed change in that area?

Old 02-16-2014, 11:53 AM

434 posts, read 1,019,149 times
Agreed with Erratikmind: a problem area for as long as I can remember, going back to the 1960s.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:22 PM

411 posts, read 720,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
At 4:20 of the video.

Is there some merit to that guy's complaint that non profits play a part in hampering needed change in that area?
In my cynical view, yes. In general non-profits in SF/SV have a vested interested in keeping the poor, mentally ill, and homeless around since that's what justifies the non-profits' existence. They obviously have to show some progress, but actually creating self-sufficient ppl and neighborhoods would wipe out the need for non-profits. And their tactics have worked--SF/SV gives by far more money to non-profits than any other major city; it's actually a large part of the budget. If non-profits didn't exist (along with the absurd zoning and development rules for Tenderloin that they've succeeded in getting passed), the potent market forces would have gentrified Tenderloin long ago or at least today with the tech boom. It's in a prime location.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Unlike other cities, SF has made a conscious effort to really concentrate all possible social services into the Tenderloin. And the other neighborhoods push any proposed "social service" into the Tenderloin as well.

Not long ago, I was at a party and were were discussing the Tenderloin. With all of the SROs etc, the Tenderloin is basically at its peak income value. Tearing down a place for new rentals would lose the land owners money (even with todays inflated prices). SROs you don't have to bother keeping up on the maintenance, because no one cares if poor people live in terrible conditions. , You can still charge a boatload of money, and in many cases the rent is guaranteed because they payer is the government. It is a great place to be a slumlord.

You can easily rent a single small bedroom with no kitchen or private bathroom for $600-800.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:08 AM

78 posts, read 86,164 times
Default Gentrification is EVIL!!

So by "gentrifying" an area, you WELCOME the wealthy and displace the poor!! Gentrification is quite evil, in all its forms.. Its ONLY good for the wealthy, the yuppies, and the hipsters!! Poor people need to live as well!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland