Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:07 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
The thing about recent immigrants from Africa is they tend to be amongst the smartest and best educated from the countries that they are leaving. It's not like they just give out visas randomly to the poorest Africans. So despite the racism they may face for being black, they do really really well. At the most recognized universities in the country, they say the majority of black students that they have are probably either recent immigrants or children/grandchildren of recent African immigrants ( Nigerian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). African immigrants actually have the highest average levels of educational attainment in the USA, even higher than Asian Americans.
Therein lies evidence of the extraordinary potential of blacks if focused. If more black Americans were singly focused in the same manner as these African immigrants in obtaining high academic achievement, this society would be permanently transformed. There are plenty doing that now, just not nearly enough to offset the effects of those who aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 09:34 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,014 times
Blacks would have jobs if liberals like bill clinton who signed nafta had not sold out the american workers.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:51 AM

875 posts, read 1,092,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
It's a shame that the city has neglected this section so extensively. What is a greater shame though is for the residents to want to remain in a place that is being neglected. A self-imposed, self-perpetuated enormous level of vile ignorance they promote amongst themselves.
I totally agree......and the guy at the end of the video saying "this is the best ghetto." Hellooooo? The guys in the background flexing their muscles......talk about trashy people.

One word: education

Old 12-05-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Has anyone seen 'Straight Outta Hunters Point'? It came out around 2002 I think.

Oh and notice that guy using the term Frisco in the trailer.

YouTube - STRAIGHT OUTTA HUNTERS POINT - TRAILER

Notice the rest of his language usage? He's an uneducated thug.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:13 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,361,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
Notice the rest of his language usage? He's an uneducated thug.
Who do you think his models were?

I think changing these situations can come down to changing who these kids are modeling. All enviroments are the same in the sense that whether you're in a middle class,upper class or ghetto enviroment people(kids more so) will model what they see in those enviroments as being normal. This is basic psychology/sociology. This is why I can see the usefullness of those big brother and big sister type mentoring programs. These kids in the ghetto need more exposure to people and things outside that enviroment.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Who do you think his models were?

I think changing these situations can come down to changing who these kids are modeling. All enviroments are the same in the sense that whether you're in a middle class,upper class or ghetto enviroment people(kids more so) will model what they see in those enviroments as being normal. This is basic psychology/sociology. This is why I can see the usefullness of those big brother and big sister type mentoring programs. These kids in the ghetto need more exposure to people and things outside that enviroment.

Oh, I agree with you.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:37 PM

what sf has done to blacks is disgusting. its the work of liberals at their best sadly enough. make sure they loose their manufacturing jobs, have poor schools and neighborhoods, and give the neighborhoods little police presence... thats sf's plan for success. Only the least desirable neighborhoods will not gentrify.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:18 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,361,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
what sf has done to blacks is disgusting. its the work of liberals at their best sadly enough. make sure they loose their manufacturing jobs, have poor schools and neighborhoods, and give the neighborhoods little police presence... thats sf's plan for success. Only the least desirable neighborhoods will not gentrify.
As far as the manufacturing jobs being lost how are those whites responsible for that? I thought the loss of manufacturing jobs was due to companies wanting cheaper overseas labor?

What I see missing from Black communities that was touched on in the post about that trucker was a lack of investment on the part of Black entreprenuers in low income Black communities. Blacks even in low income areas spend alot of money but little of it is being recycled within their communities among Black owned businesses so a Black economic base hasn't developed in enough Black areas.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
As far as the manufacturing jobs being lost how are those whites responsible for that? I thought the loss of manufacturing jobs was due to companies wanting cheaper overseas labor?

What I see missing from Black communities that was touched on in the post about that trucker was a lack of investment on the part of Black entreprenuers in low income Black communities. Blacks even in low income areas spend alot of money but little of it is being recycled within their communities among Black owned businesses so a Black economic base hasn't developed in enough Black areas.
Its a combination of that and the bay area's overly aggressive tax stance towards business and industry thathelped. i would agree that the loss of manufacturing jobs in general is due to globalization, but SF politicians did nothing to retraon this class of people which is ironically going against a fundamental liberal notion.

Instead they let once semi vibrant communities deteriorate over the span of a decade to the point where these communities arnt even recognziable.Its typical bay area liberalism.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:25 AM

358 posts, read 1,916,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
Its a combination of that and the bay area's overly aggressive tax stance towards business and industry thathelped. i would agree that the loss of manufacturing jobs in general is due to globalization, but SF politicians did nothing to retraon this class of people which is ironically going against a fundamental liberal notion.

Instead they let once semi vibrant communities deteriorate over the span of a decade to the point where these communities arnt even recognziable.Its typical bay area liberalism.
Hasn't this happened all across the country though? Everything changed since the 60s or so, and for the black community, maybe for the worse. So many getting ahead (and out of the community - dispersing into mostly white areas) while so many left behind (and in the community).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland