Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:12 PM

675 posts, read 1,190,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallop the Spot View Post
ttocs99: Thank you for the tip on Rossmoor, though I'm not the golf-course/gated-community type. I think I need more of the big city. Do you think Berkeley is worth a look? I've got 10 years on you, and, yes, they (the years) go by mighty fast. If it's any consolation, turning 60 was less of a shock than turning 50. At 50 you're worried that you're getting old. At 60 you know you're old so, what the heck, let loose and enjoy the rest of the ride.

Wallop, In doing some research, not ALL of the Rossmoor houses/condos/co-ops are on golf courses. BUT, it might be too residential for you. I understand the desire to be in the city, I'm originally from NYC. can't get any more city than that. BUT, I lived in Walnut Creek from 1999-2006 (back in NYC), and just fell in love with it. I call it a town, but there are over 60,000+ people in WC, it is truly a city. I was lucky enough to live near the downtown area, about 3 blocks away, and also I was 3 1/2 blocks away from the BART (I worked in the city). I just love everything about WC, the weather, the people, the convenience, they practically have everything, (great chain stores, as well as family owned stores, same thing with restaurants).

As far as Rossmoor, since it's not exactly near the downtown area, I know they have free shuttles that go downtown. Me personally, whether I wind up downtown or in Rossmoor, I'll probably own a car (to go to Napa), but still take mass transit to places like Sausalito (one of my favorite places). I also love walking around San Francisco, so I will be spending time in the city as well. Just lots of options, but I want my Homebase to be in WC.

Berkeley is cool, though I know there are some sketchy areas that can be kinda dangerous. I liked one of the main streets, Shattuck Ave, lots of good stores and restaurants there. But I'm not sure about retiring there, it might be a great place, just don't have enough personal experience there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 03:58 PM

124 posts, read 277,412 times
ttocs99: That's quite an endorsement for Walnut Creek. I'm glad you've found a place you feel at home. As for me, I've lived much of my life in suburbia, and the older I get the less I care to drive. In retirement, I'd be more than happy to do without a car entirely. If I could just find a close-knit, down-to-earth urban village where I could simply walk or take public transportation everywhere, I'd be as happy as you are with WC. But I thank you for your suggestions.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:57 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,563 times
Quote:
ttocs99: That's quite an endorsement for Walnut Creek. I'm glad you've found a place you feel at home. As for me, I've lived much of my life in suburbia, and the older I get the less I care to drive. In retirement, I'd be more than happy to do without a car entirely. If I could just find a close-knit, down-to-earth urban village where I could simply walk or take public transportation everywhere, I'd be as happy as you are with WC. But I thank you for your suggestions.
Wallop, I wish you luck in your retirement and in finding your dream place to retire. Hopefully it's somewhere in San Francisco, because it truly is a great city with great history.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:33 AM

45 posts, read 55,130 times
wow, all y'all planning on staying here until death must have bought homes before the boom and have low property tax and/or great retirement savings or amazingly cheap rent controlled apartments! HOW do you plan on staying? do share! (a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom house in pacifica owns me)

Old 06-28-2014, 08:48 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Are there many homeless and "crazies" in The Marina, too? (I get the impression that The Marina is often disparaged for not being "echt" San Francisco).
Some, but not as many. But there are a lot of hot preppy girls and douchy guys looking to party and act like pretentious snobs. Not sure which is worse.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:04 AM

124 posts, read 277,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyvegan View Post
wow, all y'all planning on staying here until death must have bought homes before the boom and have low property tax and/or great retirement savings or amazingly cheap rent controlled apartments! HOW do you plan on staying? do share! (a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom house in pacifica owns me)
Amyvegan:

If I were to move to San Francisco for retirement, it would be to a continuing care retirement community like the "The Sequoias" at Post and Laguna Streets. I certainly couldn't afford to buy a place in SF.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 PM

15 posts, read 19,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
My gf's retired Mom moved to SF recently and she loves the city. Loves the exploring and trying new things and loves that she doesn't need to drive.

99.99999% of the homeless = harmless. Other than their BO I have had no problem with them whatsoever. Unless you're one of those Fox News conservatives who freaks out at every minor things and has no concept of city living, I won't worry about it too much.

I've lived in the Marina for three yrs, it's a great neighborhood and I loved it there; but I do have to say that it's a bit too bubblely with hordes of young rich good looking people and stuff that caters to the yuppies. But perhaps that's what you're looking for.

You ARE clueless. 99.99999% would imply that there are 10 million homeless people in SF, and there are less than 1 million people in SF. There are only about 10,000 homeless people in SF. Aside from your stupid and inaccurate percentage, there are A LOT of homeless people that are not harmless. There is always crime in the Tenderloin committed by or against homeless people. I have had two homeless people in Santa Rosa and SF come up to me and threaten to hurt or kill me. I know a few people who have had relatives that have been killed or injured by homeless in SF.

I agree most are harmless, but your figure is ridiculous. There are plenty of violent people, homeless or not. It's not like there is no such thing as violent people.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:03 AM

5 posts, read 4,523 times
Just went to lunch with an older woman who lives in Rossmoor in Walnut creek. She has lived there for years and enjoys it very much. Apparently they have a very high HOA fee (she said she pays more than $600 a month). What she described is a suburban atmosphere, with close access to San Francisco. Living in other parts of Walnut Creek is expensive. Many one bedroom apartments cost over $2,000 a month. Buying a small home there is close to a million dollars. Their main shopping area is very upscale, but there is another contiguous area which has non-chain stores and restaurants.

I agree with a few other posters that public transportation in San Francisco is absolutely not for the elderly. I have often been on their MUNI system, and most of the time, there were some very sketchy people on board. I have repeatedly seen some very elderly and infirm passengers standing, while much younger folks just sat. What I also noticed, is that about half of the passengers simply do not pay to ride. They do not have the Clipper cards (like a public transportation credit card). They just don't pay. The drivers don't seem to care. We have had two pretty bad experiences with grifters in SF. I doubt if they were homeless, but they demanded money and became threatening when we refused. Panhandlers are almost everywhere, mostly not too aggressive. Homeless folks seem to be almost everywhere. They sleep in the nooks and crannies of the buildings.

As for neighborhoods, although small, I think Hayes Valley feels like a neighborhood. I've never lived there, but a friend lived there for 10 years, and enjoyed it.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:41 AM

45 posts, read 55,130 times
seattle has excellent transportation and constant reminders that offensive or aggressive behavior is not tolerated on busses. the weather is just so cold/rainy though. sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland