Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 11:57 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,000 times

Advertisements

Imo this is a huge moral hazard where victims of crime will now be afraid to call for help if the perpetrator is a person of color. Also, the name of the law itself is a racist and sexist slur against middle aged white women. Just all around a terrible piece of legislation. What’re your thoughts on this?

https://www.ktvu.com/news/sf-board-p...-911-calls.amp

Last edited by cttransplant85; 10-22-2020 at 01:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 07:47 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,493 times
People shouldn’t be calling 911 for non emergencies. I am in the south currently and my parents’ neighbor called the cops on a 10 year old’s burthday party because they had loudspeakers at 12 pm on a Saturday. She said “they had a loud party 5 months ago too”

My cousin who is a cop in said city said “yeah we get these idiotic calls all the time. Let people live their lives. It is a waste of time and resources”.

So yeah, stop wasting 911 time on stupid
crap. I don’t want to get a busy signal for my emergency, because you felt that someone was offending your middle class sensibilities.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:03 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,230,685 times
And the flip side is that legit issues will not get called into 911 because of fear of backlash.

Should I call that crime in? Oh wait, I'm white, better not, I'd be called racist even though I'm witnessing a crime in progress.

Oh wait, I'm white - everything I do is now racist.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
And the flip side is that legit issues will not get called into 911 because of fear of backlash.

Should I call that crime in? Oh wait, I'm white, better not, I'd be called racist even though I'm witnessing a crime in progress.

Oh wait, I'm white - everything I do is now racist.
That seems to be a problem in your own head. I am fairly certain I am calling 911 if I see a real crime regardless of color. I have called two times and both times were for minority perpetrators.

If people are too dumb to realize what warrants a 911 call and what doesn’t no law will help in that aspect

Old 10-22-2020, 08:14 AM

208 posts, read 210,482 times
I thought that it was already illegal to "make a false report" to the police. Yes, people should not call 911 for non-emergency "stupid" stuff. But this weaponizes the existing law against white, middle-class people, as made obvious in the text from the cases they cite. Yup, a handful screw up and now everybody has to pay for it.......

Old 10-22-2020, 08:25 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Imo this is a huge moral hazard where victims of crime will now be afraid to call for help if the perpetrator is a person of color. Also, the name of the law itself is a racist and sexist slur against middle aged white women. Just all around a terrible piece of legislation. What’re your thoughts on this?

https://www.ktvu.com/news/sf-board-p...-911-calls.amp
Honestly, I think this is more of a deterrent than anything else. Would probably be difficult to enforce, but it does send a message that this type of behavior is not tolerated. I would guess that this will cause more people to think twice before making inappropriate comments or actions.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:33 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Aren't there already laws against false 911 calls? They should advertise the non-emergency number/311 or something more. 911 shouldn't be used for stuff like loud parties.

Stupid, pointless law proposed by some grandstander looking for attention.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:14 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,230,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Aren't there already laws against false 911 calls? They should advertise the non-emergency number/311 or something more. 911 shouldn't be used for stuff like loud parties.

That's called virtue signaling - and yes, it's pointless.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
That's called virtue signaling - and yes, it's pointless.
That’s what politicians do. Every Trump executive order is virtue signaling. They do it to start a dialogue in the hopes that it eventually leads somewhere. Congress has an official name for it “non-binding resolution”

Old 10-22-2020, 11:20 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,147,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

Agreed! And more wasteful virtue signaling, especially given the acronym "CAREN" (they clearly worked up a name to fit that acronym, but couldn't find a workable word that began with the letter "K") I mean, "Caution Against Racial and Exploitative Non-Emergencies Act"?

I was wondering if there was a non-emergency number like that (311). Is that available everywhere like 911? If so, it should absolutely be advertised regularly, PSA's issued, that sort of thing. If people knew those digits, that would cut down on all kinds of non-emergency calls. People aren't likely to look up their local police non-emergency phone number when they want to make a noise complaint or report suspicious activity in the middle of the night. And those are legit calls...just not at the level of 911.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland