Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 09:20 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
This was part of the dude's routine (and a neighbor even came when the cops arrived to state as such); he was still cuffed. Do you believe the same thing would have happened had it been a white woman who exercised/danced in front of her home regularly?
Ok but did the person who called the cops know that? How would have this "CAREN" law prevented that or be used against the caller?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Neither is exercising, yet the cops got called on them
Well that's probably why he wasn't charged then I assume, right?

Old 10-30-2020, 11:02 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Stupid act, stupid law, layered on top of other stupid laws.

Old 11-01-2020, 12:42 PM

8,673 posts, read 3,874,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Ok but did the person who called the cops know that? How would have this "CAREN" law prevented that or be used against the caller?
Actually, it's not necessary to know if it was a daily routine or not. Simply replace the black man practicing martial arts/dancing in front of his home with a white woman (in the midst of the same activity) in and of itself. Would the latter have resulted in the same scenario i.e. an emergency-level phone call and handcuffs?

Old 11-01-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Actually, it's not necessary to know if it was a daily routine or not. Simply replace the black man practicing martial arts/dancing in front of his home with a white woman (in the midst of the same activity) in and of itself. Would the latter have resulted in the same scenario i.e. an emergency-level phone call and handcuffs?
Less likely it would I agree but my point is how would the “CAREN” law prevent something like this happening? How would you even be able to apply it here?

Old 11-01-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Less likely it would I agree but my point is how would the “CAREN” law prevent something like this happening? How would you even be able to apply it here?
In theory, it would (could) make the caller think twice about what he/she is reporting i.e. if it is truly an emergency (as in someone dancing); if not, it opens the door to civil remedy/legal recourse.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
In theory, it would (could) make the caller think twice about what he/she is reporting i.e. if it is truly an emergency (as in someone dancing); if not, it opens the door to civil remedy/legal recourse.
So what if is an actual person on drugs so now you have people not reporting it because of this law?

And unless they said they called the cops on them because they were black on on earth would you prove it and pursue some sort of legal recourse?

Old 11-02-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
So what if is an actual person on drugs so now you have people not reporting it because of this law?

And unless they said they called the cops on them because they were black on on earth would you prove it and pursue some sort of legal recourse?
'If' being the key word; what 'if' he isn't on drugs (and is simply performing martial arts).

Reporting/interpreting someone as 'maybe on drugs' is not a life-threatening emergency or crime-in-progress; use the non-emergency SFPD number or call 311/use the app. The CAREN ordinance is relative to racially-motivated 911 calls i.e. 'interpretation' in one's mind rather than 'fact'.

Old 11-03-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
'If' being the key word; what 'if' he isn't on drugs (and is simply performing martial arts).

Reporting/interpreting someone as 'maybe on drugs' is not a life-threatening emergency or crime-in-progress; use the non-emergency SFPD number or call 311/use the app. The CAREN ordinance is relative to racially-motivated 911 calls i.e. 'interpretation' in one's mind rather than 'fact'.
Well then that's for the police to determine no? If you aren't sure and you feel there is a threat why shouldn't you call 911 or at least the non-emergency line?

Depending on how they are acting it definitely well could be or turn into one. And of course it's easy for you to say this after the fact. Again how would you use the CAREN Act in some sort of legal recourse/remedy here? How would you prove it was racially motivated?

Old 11-03-2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Well then that's for the police to determine no? If you aren't sure and you feel there is a threat why shouldn't you call 911 or at least the non-emergency line?

Depending on how they are acting it definitely well could be or turn into one. And of course it's easy for you to say this after the fact. Again how would you use the CAREN Act in some sort of legal recourse/remedy here? How would you prove it was racially motivated?
Why would one assume a black man dancing/performing martial arts (in a neighborhood) is a threat? A 911 call is not for what you 'think it could be'; it's for reporting facts i.e. 'there is a black man performing martial arts in his yard' (but I'm thinking he might be on drugs or a threat) vs. 'I heard gunshots and I saw a man in a ski mask running from the store'.

There is a distinction between the two i.e. the proof may be in the (recorded) phone call in and of itself relative to (and enough for) civil remedy - at least in theory.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 11-04-2020 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland