Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 03:10 PM

218 posts, read 483,541 times

Advertisements

I want the names of the boxing gyms in the Bay Area that are the most old-school and hardcore. None of that MMA or Cardio Boxing BS, just old-school trainers and real amateur/pro boxers. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 07:09 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
There's a lot of "old school" boxing gyms in the Bay but most are in parts of town you (and I mean specifically you) probably would not feel comfortable in. If you care more about the quality of the gym than its location though, then you can't go wrong at these ones:

King's Boxing (Fruitvale, East Oakland)
3rd Street Boxing (Potrero Hill, San Francisco)
Gladiator's Gym (Redwood City)

Out of those, King's is the best and most populated. It has one of the best reputations of any boxing gym in CA... it most notably trained Andre Ward who went on to be a middleweight world champion. It's a very close to the Fruitvale BART and they have a ton of talent in both the staff and student populations. Rates are very good and can be bartered... you could pay as little as $40 a month. For your purposes though it might be the least feasible as it's easily the most dicey location of the three gyms. Though I did it when I used to box there, I would not recommend walking from there to the Fruitvale BART after dark if you don't have any street smarts.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:57 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
I used to box at the 3rd street gym, right around the time that it opened in 2004-2005 or so. It was a pretty cool place then, that I would recommend, run by a couple of Irish immigrants who were former golden gloves champions. It's been many years since I've been there though, and the owners have since parted ways (one of them now has his own gym on polk street and has giant ads in weekly newspapers for "BOXING BOOTCAMP" with his face plastered all over it...lol). So as long as it hasn't changed much, that's one option right there if you want a nice "old school" boxing gym (3rd street that is, I know nothing about the polk street gym). It has gotten more expensive though. From those on Nineties Flava's list, it's by far the most pricey.

Like King's gym, it's also in a sketchy area (dogpatch, right next to potrero hill), though it's not too bad. It's an area that's getting better/gentrified due to the new light rail, and the construction in Mission bay as well as all the yuppies who have been moving into Potrero hill. Basically, the area looks and feels worse than it really is. It is kind of close to the Potrero Hill projects though, which is a bad place to be.

But is the OP the same guy who was in an earlier thread complaining about the Mission being way too filthy and sketchy? If so: good luck finding an "old school" gym in the bay that doesn't scare you on some level.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:52 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I used to box at the 3rd street gym, right around the time that it opened in 2004-2005 or so. It was a pretty cool place then, that I would recommend, run by a couple of Irish immigrants who were former golden gloves champions. It's been many years since I've been there though, and the owners have since parted ways (one of them now has his own gym on polk street and has giant ads in weekly newspapers for "BOXING BOOTCAMP" with his face plastered all over it...lol). So as long as it hasn't changed much, that's one option right there if you want a nice "old school" boxing gym (3rd street that is, I know nothing about the polk street gym). It has gotten more expensive though. From those on Nineties Flava's list, it's by far the most pricey.

Like King's gym, it's also in a sketchy area (dogpatch, right next to potrero hill), though it's not too bad. It's an area that's getting better/gentrified due to the new light rail, and the construction in Mission bay as well as all the yuppies who have been moving into Potrero hill. Basically, the area looks and feels worse than it really is. It is kind of close to the Potrero Hill projects though, which is a bad place to be.

But is the OP the same guy who was in an earlier thread complaining about the Mission being way too filthy and sketchy? If so: good luck finding an "old school" gym in the bay that doesn't scare you on some level.

It's quite obvious that he's a LIAR. Seriously..a wealthy, preppy, playboy boxer from Michigan that can't handle the Mission...or even hipsters..or wouldn't step foot around blacks or Hispanics or even Oakland, wearing Charles Tyrwhitt shirts from London, anti-liberal mindset, looking for an authentic old school boxing club? Yeah, right.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:28 AM

218 posts, read 483,541 times
^^ This chick is seriously obsessed with me. Probably due to her boring life in the burbs.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
^^ This chick is seriously obsessed with me. Probably due to her boring life in the burbs.

Yeah..so boring...but don't forget angry, bitter, mad and an insecure local!!

Looking forward to more of your VERY original retorts. yawn. Now that's boring.

Whatever you need to say to yourself and strangers to make your PRETEND life as "King of New York"/Playboy/Boxer/Preppie status more real for you, kid.

Spewing random unoriginal adjectives at me won't make me stop calling you out as a FAKE.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:52 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
I'd pay good money to see NYCtoSF and Clongirl duke it out in the boxing ring . My money is on Clongirl!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:25 PM

That actually sounds like a bit of fun, humboldt.

I like fighting especially since I'm so bored and bitter. His Ferragamos might get scuffed though, I don't think I could possibly afford to replace those. LOL

Guy reminds me of a pint sized Mr Fantastic...remember him?

Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,184 times
clongirl, seriously, NYCtoSF has a point. He was simply asking a question about boxing gyms, and you came in here to attack him out of the blue. You do seem obsessed with him.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
clongirl, seriously, NYCtoSF has a point. He was simply asking a question about boxing gyms, and you came in here to attack him out of the blue. You do seem obsessed with him.
Uh, no. Looks like you just haven't been around to read his self congratulatory blather.

I just don't like the way he expresses himself as a racist and sexist while displaying a narcissistic and pompous attitude. I suppose I could have told him off on another thread since it bothers you so much.

Perhaps, since you're new here you just don't see through b.s. very well like a lot of us. You shouldn't be so naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland