Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 12:56 AM

427 posts, read 500,175 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know I'm going to get a lot of naysayers on my back....

How hard is it to walk into a business in SF, ask for an application, sell yourself, and find employment at a boutique, store, or restaurant of some kind as a point of entry into life in the city. I'm asking this because I know it's notoriously hard to get a job in LA (unemployment rate 8.6%). The unemployment rate in SF is only 4.4%. I like them both equally, but beyond the cost of living, SF seems like an "easier" place to start, if only for that.

I'm in my early 20s and would really like the experience of living in a vibrant place like SF. I am looking for an adventure and a new experience. I am not satisfied with staying in my hometown any longer, and smaller, cheaper cities also aren't what I'm looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 04:38 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
One thing I've noticed is there's a lot of turnover in grocery store cashiers. Those jobs seem easy to get. They won't pay your rent in SF, though.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:39 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
There's plenty of work in the Bay. Especially the City. No, not hard to score a position. If you have a way to commute from where you can afford rent.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:37 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
OP, you might be able to find affordable rent in not-so-vibrant Concord, and take BART to work in SF. They say waitress jobs pay more in SF than in the East Bay, too.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:40 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Having lived in both places extensively, LA is harder to find any type of a job, but the cost of living is significantly lower (at least by 10-15% in my estimate). The wages will likely be higher here in SF and the Bay Area, but the cost of living will shock anyone from Southern California that is not accustomed to it. Especially, the rents and real estate prices are much, much higher. You have to factor that in, because any possible wage increase could by nullified by the higher cost of living.

I see a lot of places such as restaurants and service type jobs looking for workers here, so I think your chances would be good to land something in that field quickly.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:56 PM

722 posts, read 1,328,797 times
I noticed most restaurants hire Hispanics, almost every restaurant has hispanic workers, including Italian, American, Middle Eastern, also lots asian stores hire hispanics to stock the shelves.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:51 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I noticed most restaurants hire Hispanics, almost every restaurant has hispanic workers, including Italian, American, Middle Eastern, also lots asian stores hire hispanics to stock the shelves.
Welcome to the western/southwestern united states...We have a lot of Hispanic people, in case you didn't notice (there are as many hispanic/latino people in CA as there are non-hispanic white people). Tons of them are working class, so it makes sense that tons of them have working class jobs. And for those who are illegal immigrants, it's of course hard to get any kind of job besides off the books stuff doing construction, landscaping, farm work, or working as a cook or something (it seems like the feds bust a restaurant every now and then around here, for employing illegal immigrants).

Old 01-22-2015, 07:59 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
It depends. What are you actually trying to find when you're looking for "a job"? I don't know what that's code for.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:18 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
I'm not going to be a "naysayer," per se, because I understand your position. I appreciate the dream and desire. but, it occurs to me that San Francisco isn't exactly a "get-a-job" -and-hope-you-make-it kind of town like LA is. Even LA's status as that may be more myth than reality. By that, I mean that it's hard to imagine coming to SF just to struggle against its very real obstacles, without a clear career or personal vision in mind to ultimately offer a payoff.

LA and really many, many other places are far more conducive to the idea of getting a working class job to sustain yourself, while you find the job that will fulfill you long-term. SF seems more geared toward those who are at the top of their game in its very niched categories, who are availing themselves of a job market, talent pool, inspirations, and entrepreneurial spirit of the best and brightest in their fields in the world. It's ultimately worth it to many to suck up the lifestyle sacrifices required to come here and immerse themselves in this environment. The payoff is quite often that great.

In other words, SF isn't really the kind of place someone comes to be a waitress, while hoping for a big break. It once was, but that time has passed. It's too cost prohibitive and competitive now. SF punishes people without the money, credentials, and upward mobility to make it in its environment.

The City rewards innovative thinking. Coming here to be a restaurant server or something like that because you dig the vibe isn't very innovative, in my opinion. You might make that work in Portland, or even Denver. SF isn't going to be very kind, though.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:15 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post

In other words, SF isn't really the kind of place someone comes to be a waitress, while hoping for a big break. It once was, but that time has passed. It's too cost prohibitive and competitive now. SF punishes people without the money, credentials, and upward mobility to make it in its environment.

The City rewards innovative thinking. Coming here to be a restaurant server or something like that because you dig the vibe isn't very innovative, in my opinion. You might make that work in Portland, or even Denver. SF isn't going to be very kind, though.
Yet somehow, tens of thousands of SF residents have jobs like that, and are making it here. It's harder than other cities, but doable. SF is expensive, but it's not like only the wealthy can survive here...I'm tired of that misinformation constantly getting repeated.

Of course it's a good idea to have a job lined up before you move though, and a minimum wage job won't pay the rent if you have market rate rent. Good thing over half of SF's population doesn't pay market rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland