Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 5,082 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to SF soon and hoping to get some help picking out a neighborhood that feels like home. If you're familiar with Brooklyn, I'm looking for somewhere that skews more Red Hook or Gowanus than Cobble Hill. I'd love a place that's a little odd and a little rugged. A community feel would be great. I'm not really interested in anything too shishi. I don't mind being about 15-20 mins from public transportation. Is there such a neighborhood in SF (not East Bay)? Help!

(And if anyone's interested in an BK info let me know!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 11:16 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,839 times
There's nothing in SF that's like anywhere in NYC, in my opinion.

Odd and kinda rugged might be the Haight District, but I'm not sure about the community feel. Hayes Valley might be as well.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:36 AM

Thanks, Servo!I agree that SF is very different from NYC, but have been curious if there's anything that has the same feel, or would enable me to say- oh, this sort of feels like Brooklyn! I guess part of the joy of moving is discovering something new. I'll look into the Haight area when I get there. I suppose finding a place like "home" is really going to take some walking around to feel it out myself. I value a community feel. What are your thoughts on Glen Park?

Old 02-26-2015, 12:23 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehappywanderer View Post
Thanks, Servo!I agree that SF is very different from NYC, but have been curious if there's anything that has the same feel, or would enable me to say- oh, this sort of feels like Brooklyn! I guess part of the joy of moving is discovering something new. I'll look into the Haight area when I get there. I suppose finding a place like "home" is really going to take some walking around to feel it out myself. I value a community feel. What are your thoughts on Glen Park?
I think the suggestion from ServoMiff had more to do with trying not to look for Brooklyn in SF, because you're not going to find it. And that's OK becaues they're very different places. You'll enjoy SF (and the Bay Area in general) more if you enjoy it for what it is.

There's nothing wrong with finding a neighborhood that fits you and what you want; but I don't think looking for Brooklyn in SF is the right way to go about it...probably a better way to do it is is to think of the things that you really like about life in Brooklyn and try to find neighborhoods in SF (or other cities, such as Oakland, which is definitely worth a look!) that have these qualities.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I think the suggestion from ServoMiff had more to do with trying not to look for Brooklyn in SF, because you're not going to find it. And that's OK becaues they're very different places. You'll enjoy SF (and the Bay Area in general) more if you enjoy it for what it is.

There's nothing wrong with finding a neighborhood that fits you and what you want; but I don't think looking for Brooklyn in SF is the right way to go about it...probably a better way to do it is is to think of the things that you really like about life in Brooklyn and try to find neighborhoods in SF (or other cities, such as Oakland, which is definitely worth a look!) that have these qualities.
Maybe I'm wording it wrong.. I'm not trying to find BK in SF. But there are qualities about my neighborhood that I really value, like the community feel. It's hard to describe. Maybe "feel" is the wrong word I'm excited to enjoy SF for what it is, for sure!

Old 02-26-2015, 12:40 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,907,725 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm wording it wrong.. I'm not trying to find BK in SF. But there are qualities about my neighborhood that I really value, like the community feel. It's hard to describe. Maybe "feel" is the wrong word I'm excited to enjoy SF for what it is, for sure!
Well, then, I think you're doing exactly what I describe. Figure out what those qualities are that you really love about where you are in BK now, and try to find neighborhoods in SF (or in the Bay Area...I do really think you should at least consider Oakland and Berkeley...but that's just me) that match.

If you can describe some of these qualities to us, we can help you narrow it down more. BK neighborhoods can be pretty diverse and unique, so it's hard to say "just like BK" since that could mean a lot of different things.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:14 PM

379 posts, read 785,591 times
Quote:
Glen Park is a nice little neighborhood, but pretty quite suburban in feel. Although I'm not super familiar with Brooklyn my guess is that's probably not quite what you're looking for. Try Duboce Triangle, the Lower Haight, Upper Haight, and also The Mission. Bernal Heights is also very community-oriented and has less happening than those neighborhoods but more than Glen Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland