Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 03:20 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Singapore is run like a police state. You are free to move there if you'd like. In fact, I wish you would.
You obviously never been there, it's an amazing little country. You sound like Sarah Palin making it seem like living in a liberal part of America is like living in a police state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 06:01 AM

372 posts, read 534,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
for people that are not use to being around crazy homeless people here are a few tips if your ever in San Francisco

always keep your distance from a homeless person on the street, if they are blocking the sidewalk , make sure to never walk in between them, always walk around them, always leave enough space, sometimes if you get too close they will try to spit on you or hack up some phlegm and spit on you or blow some snot out a nostril as you walk by

they feel they own that part of the sidewalk and dont like people trespassing in their space

dont make direct eye contact look past them like they arent there

a homeless guy was hacking phlegm and just as I waked by he tried to spit on me but missed.

Absolutely, positively, good advice.

While many are not dangerous, some are.

It's not unusual to have California homeless people yell at you if you don't give them money.

Don't engage... just keep walking.

But never take your eyes off of indirectly watching/observing your surroundings to keep yourself safe.

Between mental illness and drug use, some of the homeless in SF can be unpredictable and dangerous.

Be alert and be safe.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:16 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You obviously never been there, it's an amazing little country. You sound like Sarah Palin making it seem like living in a liberal part of America is like living in a police state.
surveillance cameras everywhere. you can be fined/jailed/caned for minor things like spitting, jay walking, smoking, etc. no real freedom of speech/assembly/expression. no due process and police can detain you for whatever they want. terrible record on human rights and migrant workers are treated like garbage and can be deported without notice. no minimum wage and extreme inequality all around. but yeah, it's a great place to do business and make money. and no pesky bums/homeless in sight!

Old 06-09-2015, 10:36 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
surveillance cameras everywhere. you can be fined/jailed/caned for minor things like spitting, jay walking, smoking, etc. no real freedom of speech/assembly/expression. no due process and police can detain you for whatever they want. terrible record on human rights and migrant workers are treated like garbage and can be deported without notice. no minimum wage and extreme inequality all around. but yeah, it's a great place to do business and make money. and no pesky bums/homeless in sight!
sounds like a conservatives dream, you know, small government...

Old 06-09-2015, 11:44 AM

that's the funny thing about Bimmer. he insists he's liberal and progressive-minded, but I think he'd be way better off in a squeaky clean place that's heavy on social control.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:27 PM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
that's the funny thing about Bimmer. he insists he's liberal and progressive-minded, but I think he'd be way better off in a squeaky clean place that's heavy on social control.
Sounds like a perfect fit for Commie-Pinko land. Left with a noose around your neck.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:42 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Behind the gates in OC! Problem solved!

Old 06-09-2015, 12:48 PM

up in an ivory watchtower!

Old 06-09-2015, 12:53 PM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
You guys debating back & forth about homelessness & crime, SURE there's a correlation for the most part. If you're homeless & can't get a job or won't get one, the only other way is to steal, etc. from others to get what you need. Begging & getting enough money that way only goes so far & passerbys get immuned to ignoring them. Not to mention, they're often mad at the world & don't care about their actions or the consequences.

I don't personally have stats myself, but I used to briefly work in a county CA state mental hospital. Most of the patients are homeless people in which someone called the police about them due to them causing some disruption/disturbance/crime out in public. ALSO, many of them have diseases, such as hepatitis B or some sexually transmitted diseases (in which homelessness & having diseases often correlate as well).

I've read many of their files/records. Throughout the yrs, they've set fires, destroyed property, done petty/more severe crimes, maybe stalked people. Now the hospital I personally was at never had the truly hardened criminals, such as rapists & murderers, but pretty much everyone else was there. The more hardened criminals w/ often mentla problems are in prisons or other much more sevre sanitariums.

Sure, there's always those few who just got down on their luck & may have never done a crime or maybe it was petty.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 06-09-2015 at 01:14 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 01:36 PM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
You guys debating back & forth about homelessness & crime, SURE there's a correlation for the most part. If you're homeless & can't get a job or won't get one, the only other way is to steal, etc. from others to get what you need. Begging & getting enough money that way only goes so far & passerbys get immuned to ignoring them. Not to mention, they're often mad at the world & don't care about their actions or the consequences.

I don't personally have stats myself, but I used to briefly work in a county CA state mental hospital. Most of the patients are homeless people in which someone called the police about them due to them causing some disruption/disturbance/crime out in public. ALSO, many of them have diseases, such as hepatitis B or some sexually transmitted diseases (in which homelessness & having diseases often correlate as well).

I've read many of their files/records. Throughout the yrs, they've set fires, destroyed property, done petty/more severe crimes, maybe stalked people. Now the hospital I personally was at never had the truly hardened criminals, such as rapists & murderers, but pretty much everyone else was there. The more hardened criminals w/ often mentla problems are in prisons or other much more sevre sanitariums.

Sure, there's always those few who just got down on their luck & may have never done a crime or maybe it was petty.
Working at a county hospital like you have exposes you to the more difficult and least manageable cases, repetitively. But no, it does not represent the majority and range of the homeless. Police often fall into a similar mode of jaded worldview. Less than 10% of the population engages in any criminal activity ever in their life. Any many who do break some laws get past it and don't reoffend. Yet cops find it hard not to look at the world as if it is a cesspool of depravity with islands of lily whites who need protecting.

If you care to study the issue, you'll find that there are many homeless who are not chronically so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland