Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:10 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
The steeper parts. (sorry I couldn't resist)
Especially when they are wet!!

(Actually the wife is a soils engineer, and steepness is really only one factor, and usually not the most important one.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 07:15 AM

639 posts, read 1,044,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj88 View Post
Hello all, I am considering a move to the SF, but am absolutely terrified of the thought of "the big one." Being from the midwest I have never experienced a quake, but according to some internet research it appears SF may be due for another big one within the next 30 years? Would love if someone could shed some light on the subject. Is my fear legitimate? I am ready for a change and SF seems perfect, beautiful (other than the quake threat)!! But the thought of being violently shaken/seriously injured in a huge quake is literally making me sick (and moving is only an idea still!). I just read numerous internet stories of the 1906 quake and it is absolutely the most terrifying thing I have read.. survivors' accounts of witnessing people being crushed and falling here and there. If I'm understanding it correctly, this is due to happen to SF again soon?? Thanks to all who could fill me in.
After your first experiance with one you tend to get use to them, but always be prepared for one have plenty of none parishable or long shelf food items in store water and a first aid kit on hand a radio, flashlights and plenty of working batteries.

Just be smart and know how to react when there is an earthquake, one is coming sooner than later but we never know when the big one will hit till it does.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:07 PM

226 posts, read 1,126,060 times
Here's a link to another post I made about earthquakes: //www.city-data.com/forum/2713012-post7.html .

Old 02-05-2008, 01:14 PM

7 posts, read 16,769 times
we don't have an evacuation plan anymore, it was the Army and Navy, and they are long gone. Our fire department and police department are far too small to be of any use. Keep in mind that all the National Guard, Reserves, and their equipment are in Iraq. If you are here when it hits, you will die, and you will hope to be one of the first casualties. Hirises are the stupidest thing to put on landfill, when the ocean is rising . . .but Senate[mod]Inappropriate language[/mod] FineSwine and her pals don't have to clean it up, they have their profits and won't be held accountable.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-05-2008 at 02:29 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 05:15 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth139 View Post
If you are here when it hits, you will die . . .
Thanks for the warning - I'll try not to stand next to you . . .

Old 02-06-2008, 07:34 PM

67 posts, read 518,639 times
So if I were to decide to move to SF, how would I locate an apartment building that has the appropriate codes to (hopefully) withstand THE BIG ONE? Any suggestions? I'm looking for a safe neighborhood where I could hopefully either walk to work, or take a bus perhaps - I'm very afraid of this underground BART system I keep hearing about. How on earth would you get out of there alive during a large earthquake?

Old 02-07-2008, 09:21 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
Personally, I wouldn't live in fear of an earthquake or a hurricane or any other natural disaster, that's how you ruin your life worrying about something you can't change anyway. If earthquakes worry a person that much, then maybe the Bay area is not for you, I don't mean that as an insult or anything... You can die in a fire anywhere at any time or crossing the street anyplace in the world. If it's your time to go, you won't be able to prevent it.
Building codes won't matter when the real big one hits...I don't think nature cares to save certain buildings.

Last edited by MaggieZ; 02-07-2008 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 AM

312 posts, read 1,519,725 times
I'm from Croatia and here are earthquakes not rare,but in CA are stronger.
I'm not scared of quakes.
Hurricane is more dangerous then quake.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:45 PM

639 posts, read 1,044,023 times
In San Francisco an earthquake is more dangerous than a hurricane because we dont have hurricanes, "at least not yet" I would'nt want to live in a high rise I think escaping from one during a big earthquake is the same fate as those poor folks that got traped atop the World Trade Center towers during 9/11.

The real problem with a major earthquake in San Francisco, is not only falling buildings but the big fires that come with them while the ground is shaking all over and the gas main lines start to rupture and explode, then we have fires out of control, and about 99% of all residential structures other than high rises are built out of wood.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:22 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,607 times
The best way to pick an earthquake safe building is age. If it's been standing solid since 1912 it is time-tested.

There are decent-sized earthquakes every 10-20 years all along the California coast. Post-1906 there were major improvements in building standards and ongoing paranoia led to some "over-building." Another factor is that much of SF was built out of redwood and redwood withstands shaking very well, bending and stretching as needed.

Tall buildings are almost all safe places to be in an earthquake but possibly scarier than in a smaller one.

The most frightening place to be in an earthquake is outside, where you can *see* the earth waving and moving, telephone poles pointing in different directions, etc. It'll amaze you.

1989 did the Bay Area a favor by shaking out the rust. Brick-facades and unreinforced masonry are a thing of the past or have warning sings on them, as per law. Anything particularly susceptible went down in 1989. Many, many structures have been retrofitted in response over the last 20 years. The Bay Bridge is the slowest possible project in the history of the universe for this matter and it's on its way, too. I figure that the gods of karma and irony will trigger our next big earthquake shortly before they take the wrapper off the new east-span.

Oh, and stay out of landfill areas like the Marina. All those pictures you saw of bay-windowed houses collapsed onto themselves were in that area of SF. Most of the hills in SF are bedrock and substantial. Shaking will be reduced. That said, in an 8.0 earthquake all bets are off.

Standard tips from CA native: don't run outside, stand in a doorway, have a wrench handy and turn off your gas after a quake. This means stoves, water heaters and the like. Lastly, there will be aftershocks. Act accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland