Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 08:34 PM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 537,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Being a Yankee, you will never find me even INQUIRING about whether or not I would be accepted in the rural deep South. I have no interest, inclination, or intention of even entertaining the thought of moving there. Likewise, why would in the world would you even consider moving to the bay area?

It's like podunk Sarah Palin inquiring whether or not NYC (or San Francisco) would be a good place for her to move to.
See I am wondering the opposite, I am worried that the city parts of the Deep South like Knoxville, or Brmingham would be too liberal for me,

Btw as I said a million times I am a native Californian of many generations, there is a street in Pasadena named after my moms fsmily. I go way back in these parts and I resent when transplants or people who only go back 1 generation in CA tell me I don't belong here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 08:55 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
See I am wondering the opposite, I am worried that the city parts of the Deep South like Knoxville, or Brmingham would be too liberal for me,

Btw as I said a million times I am a native Californian of many generations, there is a street in Pasadena named after my moms fsmily. I go way back in these parts and I resent when transplants or people who only go back 1 generation in CA tell me I don't belong here
Why wouldn't you belong here? If you're from here, going many generations back, you would know that Republicans are nothing unusual. California elected Reagan to 2 terms as Gov., and helped elect him as Prez. Same for Nixon. And look at Arnie. Lots of Republicans in CA, and in the Bay Area.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why wouldn't you belong here? If you're from here, going many generations back, you would know that Republicans are nothing unusual. California elected Reagan to 2 terms as Gov., and helped elect him as Prez. Same for Nixon. And look at Arnie. Lots of Republicans in CA, and in the Bay Area.
I know that! But others say different
Also, ever since the early 90s this state is different. It's like another country. My grandad lived in Santa Ana as a kid and Salinas as a young adult. Before he died we went to both places he lived with him so he could see his child hood home. In Santa Ana, the home was decrepit and filled with illegals and in Salinas the house was burned out...I wish he didn't see that and could've held on to the memories. California has changed more than any other state.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:35 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,284,845 times
Quote:
I was curious to confirm or deny the stereotype. I think the bay is beautiful but I wish there was more tolerance there for dissenters. I am leaving CA in general, once I graduate from CSUN this summer and my parents move to a 55 and over development in AZ...you're from NC right? What part I am considering it for my move because of its location central to NY, DC, Florida, Atlanta, the Mountains, Myrtle Beach etc

You live in Oakland I'm assuming? How do you like it? I hear it has changed a lot! My dad is in shipping and started off his first real job in Oakland in the early 80s and he says it was scary to drive through some parts in broad day light. I am sure lots have changed since then. He lived in Hayward.
I moved to CA from Raleigh, NC and I was born in NC, but I kinda grew up all over (Army Brat). As for NC, I like Asheville, the beaches, and Charlotte isn't a bad alternative from Atlanta. The rest of the state is pretty dismal though.

As for Oakland, I love it. I wish it wasn't getting so expensive, but that's really no surprise given how things have played out over the past few years.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:47 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,152,808 times
Quote:
I have people close to me that are gay too. I'm not an environmentalist but I do love nature, although I do not drive a fuel efficient car (right now I'm driving a beater but I used to have a big f250), I have no problem with people of all colors or religions but culturally I do not like an environment that isn't culturally American (ie no one speaks English well or at all, or they live a lifestyle more suited to "back home"...I have buddies of all colors but they are all american and speak English and Mexican or Chinese is just something their parents or grandparents are). I respect all faiths and lack of faith and I expect the same (aka don't insult Christianity please) etc. I take a strong stand against illegals but I respect deeply folks who come here legally and contribute and "become American". All in all, i I do feel like an AZ republican in the Barry Goldwater or Sheriff Joe Arpaio sense.

I was just asking if y'all would disown a friend for having views like mine.
You have people who are close to you who are gay huh? Suuuure. You even agreed with a rabid troll on that thread, agreeing that a civil war was overdue. You posted the below nuggets on the Indiana board discussing Indiana's ridiculous Religious Freedom Act. In your post #159 you went so far as to post an outrageous drag queen in the apparent attempt to belittle all gay people.

Quote:
May I take the risk of being unpopular and say I support Indianas legislation and it has actually put IN on the map as a relocation prospect.
Quote:
Yes to all of those. I believe in freedom of association and if you don't want my business please let me know and I will spend my money elsewhere.

If you want to boycott Indiana that's fine! That's the market speaking IMO and if a significant majority of people feel the same as you then Indiana will suffer economically and such. If a business decides not to serve people and you don't like it, I encourage you and the people in agreement with you to not use the business, and then the market will decide if that business stays open or not.
Quote:
Two of us in California support freedom of association! Woo!

Freedom goes both ways, you don't like my beliefs and I don't like yours (I'm talking to the gay lobby) but just like I can't impose my will on you vice versa.

I want to find a way to support Indiana business in some way, and encourage them to stand up and fight dictatorial tactics from insane people who are clutching their pearls that not thinks gays are "like totally faaabulous"

Old 04-03-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I moved to CA from Raleigh, NC and I was born in NC, but I kinda grew up all over (Army Brat). As for NC, I like Asheville, the beaches, and Charlotte isn't a bad alternative from Atlanta. The rest of the state is pretty dismal though.

As for Oakland, I love it. I wish it wasn't getting so expensive, but that's really no surprise given how things have played out over the past few years.
How is Raleigh? Would a conservative feel out of place there? What about Asheville? It looks so pretty but it just seems to wierd there with the protesting and the wiccans and the drum circles

Old 04-03-2015, 11:22 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,465,221 times
Quote:
I'm from LA area, been to SF. Liked it, LOVED Marin parts and of the east bay (Martinez, Lamorinda, Danville). If I became rich I would probably move to Novato or Mill Valley...or Saint Francis Woods in SF. It was just so beautiful and makes even the prettiest parts of LA look like Detroit (exaggerating but you know what I mean) the only place more beautiful in SoCal is around SLO but that's not a big city.

I know the stereotype of the bay is ultra liberal, but I found that people (outside of SV techie land which is a whole 'nother monster and the reason I declined an offer at SJSU for CSUN) in the bay, especially people born and raised there seemed more tolerant of people with different views than Angelenos.

I'll be frank, I'm a Christian and a Republican..I have to keep that hushed here in LA outside of my church friends etc. or I will get treated likens admitted to bring a cannibal or something.

If a friend told you that they were a republican, would you "disown" them?
No, of course not, not if they are reasonable, and especially not if they were much older than myself, from another era. (If they are a smoker, too, then YES, I would disown them! . But those much older folks usually (not always) are a different sort of Republican than the ones that are right-wing Rush Limbaugh-quoting nut jobs and they are usually civil. We rarely talk politics, though they might make a comment not to my liking on some issue or another. No need to insult a 90-year-old if he has ultra-conservative Christian ideals, in my opinion. I just change the subject.

If, however someone spouted rabid "birther" or Palinista crap or sent me emails of Obama portrayed as a monkey (as one Connecticut friend did) I would chastise them severely (to put it mildly) and might cut ties with them altogether.

I am a native Californian but more than that, I am a true "Northern Californian" and I will choose clean air, water (not diverted to Southern California, please), and trees over development/pavement every time. I never tried to get out of jury duty, spend hours pouring over every state proposition, yet tend to vote the majority of the Democratic ticket usually, unless the local Democrat is over-the-top supportive of illegals, then no way. And we probably agree on one subject: in my opinion simply being born in the U.S. by an illegal mother who has made it over the border (by land or by jet) and who has no American parent is an illegal and the family ought to be deported. (Guess I'm a right-winger there, huh?).

I would never label myself an ultra liberal, though I am definitely pro-choice. I am of the opinion that a woman has the right to choose whether to allow a fetus to grow inside her or not (to a point...even I think that late term abortions are just nasty and that if someone needed to abort, it should have been done earlier). But I think that preventing unwanted pregnancies are far more important, so that the whole issue of abortion won't even be necessary to discuss, let alone to undertake. I support birth control.

I also support estate taxes and dislike dynasties.

So, you gonna disown me?

P.S. I don't think San Francisco or Marin County is right for you; however, you might fit in well in Contra Costa County and would for sure in the areas north of Sacramento.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 04-03-2015 at 11:37 PM..

Old 04-04-2015, 12:11 AM

37,149 posts, read 42,245,999 times
Quote:

Well you are only a native Californian exactly as many years as you have been alive, no more. The bulk of your time in CA you were a child, now you are in college, so I don't think you are in a position to "resent" anyone. Some 1st generations and transplants have been in CA longer than you.

Luckily you can go wherever you like, but there is nothing about you that too conservative, republican or christian for CA. You just want to think so for some weird reason.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:18 AM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
I know that! But others say different
Also, ever since the early 90s this state is different. It's like another country. My grandad lived in Santa Ana as a kid and Salinas as a young adult. Before he died we went to both places he lived with him so he could see his child hood home. In Santa Ana, the home was decrepit and filled with illegals and in Salinas the house was burned out...I wish he didn't see that and could've held on to the memories. California has changed more than any other state.
My part of the state hasn't changed noticeably, except it's more crowded. My grandparents' house hasn't changed, it's still in a beautiful park-like area of Berkeley, down the street from the bigger house where they raised their kids. I haven't noticed any change in the East Bay, except the west part of Berkeley has gentrified and improved. Much of NorCal has been getting better.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well you are only a native Californian exactly as many years as you have been alive, no more. The bulk of your time in CA you were a child, now you are in college, so I don't think you are in a position to "resent" anyone. Some 1st generations and transplants have been in CA longer than you.

Luckily you can go wherever you like, but there is nothing about you that too conservative, republican or christian for CA. You just want to think so for some weird reason.
There is nowhere in the state besides maybe Ridgecrest or Oildale where the elected officials represent my views, it's frustrating to be voiceless. And even if I lived there, I would still be subject to Sacramento which again doesn't represent me.

Yeah I resent people who weren't born here telling me to leave when my family has been here for over a century.

I'll always love the land, but by the time I was born the California I loved was in its death throws. The downhill started with the hippies, the SDS, the gays in the Castro in SF and Oakland and Berkeley in the 60s, and their ideals attracted people from around the country who thought similar to them who slowly spread throughout the state...then the amnesty in the 80s, then the Northridge quake. By the time the valley was rebuilt, California had died.

I wish I had a time machine so bad, so I could go back to maybe post war Los Angeles..1950. I've seen pictures and heard stories, was a perfect and beautiful place. The streets were safe, there was jobs for everyone, everyone spoke english, orange groves carpeted the OC and Americans worked in the packing houses, so many other things were just so much better, cleaner, nicer. We were top for education. This was a place to be proud to be from. Back then, if you were out of state and you told someone you were from California, they thought of sun, farms, and the American Dream...now when you say where you're from, you get asked, "so is it really all illegals?" "Have you ever seen a drive by?"

I'm gonna stop now, I've actually started to tear up. I'm going to log off now and go for a drive or something. Have yourself a good night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland