Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 05:29 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,449,737 times

Advertisements

This may be the wrong venue to be asking this question, but does anyone have any info about 420 on Hippie Hill for this year (2024). We just so happened to be in San Francisco last year and attended, and it was a great time. Thinking about traveling to SF this year to attend again, but I don't see any specific info online about this year's event. Does anyone happen to have any info about it?

TIA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 02:20 AM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Here ya go:

4/20 on Hippie Hill

Dress warmly, take public transit if you can, and have a good time.

Old 01-17-2024, 08:34 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
This may be the wrong venue to be asking this question, but does anyone have any info about 420 on Hippie Hill for this year (2024). We just so happened to be in San Francisco last year and attended, and it was a great time. Thinking about traveling to SF this year to attend again, but I don't see any specific info online about this year's event. Does anyone happen to have any info about it?

TIA!!
Although it’s been authorized the past few years, I’m surprised (albeit amused) anyone would travel to SF for it - particularly since Outside Lands has returned (and isn’t so narrowly-focused). It’s akin to comparing (the folks at) a local carnival with Disneyworld.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:46 PM

7,237 posts, read 3,776,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Although it’s been authorized the past few years, I’m surprised (albeit amused) anyone would travel to SF for it - particularly since Outside Lands has returned (and isn’t so narrowly-focused). It’s akin to comparing (the folks at) a local carnival with Disneyworld.
You're surprised people travel to S.F. to go to something as narrowly focused as 420 on Hippie Hill?

Why do people go to the Folsom Street Fair? That seems pretty narrowly focused as well.

Old 01-17-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
You're surprised people travel to S.F. to go to something as narrowly focused as 420 on Hippie Hill?

Why do people go to the Folsom Street Fair? That seems pretty narrowly focused as well.
My point is relative to the difference between traveling to SF for 420 on Hippie Hill vs. Outside Lands (which also speaks to cannabis brands and cultivators, if you’re into that sort of thing, as well as a celebration of all that is the Bay Area in terms of food, music and art i.e. legendary acts, emerging music artists, restaurants, wineries, cocktail bars and so on. As such, the latter is a ‘true event’ in terms of scope and size, and many do travel from outside the Bay Area to attend. The 420 on Hippie Hill ‘gathering’, not so much; it was unofficial and unpermitted until recently. Hence my surprise/amusement someone would travel to SF for it.

Old 01-17-2024, 06:28 PM

The big difference between 4/20 on Hippie Hill and Outside Lands is that the latter is a 3-day music festival, and you have to buy tickets to get in. They generally sell out very fast. On the other hand, 4/20 is only about cannabis and is free for everyone.

Old 01-17-2024, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
The big difference between 4/20 on Hippie Hill and Outside Lands is that the latter is a 3-day music festival, and you have to buy tickets to get in. They generally sell out very fast. On the other hand, 4/20 is only about cannabis and is free for everyone.
The big difference/point is the size/scope (and the distance folks are willing to travel). Relative to Outside Lands (and headliners such as Lana Del Rey), it’s about 250,000 vs. 15,000 to 20,000 who are gathering (unauthorized until recently) to celebrate cannabis. Obviously, the latter is going to attract a very small percentage of folks, mostly local. I simply can’t imagine why one would go, yet alone travel here for it.

That said, the largest 420 festival is actually in Denver.

Old 01-17-2024, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I simply can’t imagine why one would go, yet alone travel here for it.
Maybe you don't, but the OP apparently wants to.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Maybe you don't, but the OP apparently wants to.
Yes, I’m simply stating my surprise/amusement as it’s unusual to travel for as it’s small in size and scope; it’s mostly ‘kids’ (21+) getting blazed i.e. not much to it. Many do the same re: Outside Lands, of course, but it’s an extremely popular music and arts festival representing all that the Bay Area has to offer (yet cannabis brands and cultivators are still represented, if you’re into that sort of thing).

Hence my suggestion; if the OP is making an effort to travel, why not Outside Lands instead?

Old 01-18-2024, 07:31 PM

Only the OP knows the answer to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland