Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 11:01 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I absolutely hate all taxi companies in the US. I would say 75% of them talk on their phone while driving, even in states where it is illegal. They often drive like maniacs. If they think you aren't a local, they tend to take you on the longer route. They seem to never have change and their credit card reader never seems to work, so you end up giving them a 50% tip. The experience from getting a taxi to being inside the taxi has been awful, plus they are so overpriced. I couldn't be more happy to hear this greedy questionable company is likely to shut down. Karma is a b____.

I'll choose Uber or Lyft in a second!
I haven't taken cabs in SF, but knowing the traffic issues the city has, I can imagine it would be expensive. I've had nothing but good experiences with Yellow Cab in Seattle, and in Berkeley. But it works best if you don't have to order a cab by phone (there's usually a 40-minute wait or more), but if you can just walk up to one, if you know where to find them. When I find a good cabbie who charges a fair rate, I'll arrange a trip to the airport with him days in advance (when I happen to need that service), and lock in a bargain rate.

I agree with RadicalWiz, that it would be too bad for cab drivers, if they became obsolete. Driving cab is an easy way for new immigrants to get set up with a job, and it provides them with a functional livelihood. That is a priceless resource. A lot of people will be SOL if the established cab companies go down the drain. It's not in the best interests of the US economy, and it won't be conducive to social peace to have all those middle-eastern immigrants without employment resources, need I say more? I think one problem Europe has had serious problems with "integration" of their immigrants is the lack of jobs for the newcomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 11:02 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I absolutely hate all taxi companies in the US. I would say 75% of them talk on their phone while driving, even in states where it is illegal. They often drive like maniacs. If they think you aren't a local, they tend to take you on the longer route. They seem to never have change and their credit card reader never seems to work, so you end up giving them a 50% tip. The experience from getting a taxi to being inside the taxi has been awful, plus they are so overpriced. I couldn't be more happy to hear this greedy questionable company is likely to shut down. Karma is a b____.

I'll choose Uber or Lyft in a second!
I've actually found taxis to generally be cheaper than Uber/Lyft. But the taxi service is an overall crummy package (comparitvely), so I get why people don't bother with taxis and just opt for Uber/Lyft (especially if you live in an area that isn't serviced frequently by taxis).

I don't personally love Uber/Lyft for the kinds of companies they are, so generally try to take public transit as much as possible. Uber/Lyft is definitely a last resort for me.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:05 PM

13 posts, read 16,873 times
If you can't beat em... join em. Should have offered the same service or BETTER as Uber and Lyft to compete.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:28 PM

64 posts, read 83,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why did they refuse to go to the Avenues? Do you mean to pick up passengers, or to drop them off from downtown, or wherever? Golden Gate Park is in the Avenues, you'd think there would be at least occasional demand for rides to and from there, from tourists, at least. What's wrong with serving the Avenues?

It wasn't that you could **never** get a cab it's that you had to wait for a driver to pick up a fare coming out this way and that could be an hour, 2 hours or never. I'm guessing they didn't get many fares to the avenues because the majority of people in my neighborhood drive own vehicles.

Airport runs of course were the exception but forget going from, say, Ocean Beach to the Marina. It was really just a roll of the dice.

The worst part was calling a cab company, having them take your order, which prevented you from calling anyone else due to their policy of refusing to pick up anyone who called more than one company, and then waiting. And waiting and waiting. And calling them back only to be told they had "no one in the area" which only then freed you to look to another cab company.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:49 PM

540 posts, read 653,324 times
The last fist fight I almost got into was with a cab driver in SF who was tailgating me downtown. He then speeds around me and cuts me off , slams his breaks almost causing an accident and stops his car in the middle of the street. I got out my car ready to cave his face in and he speeds off. Reckless POS.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:24 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Cab drivers are by far the most reckless drivers on average from my experience. If they provided good customers service at a good price, companies like Uber or Lyft would never have become popular. That's the beauty of the free market, competition improves quality.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:04 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
Geez - folks "Chapter 11" is *protection from creditors* and not "bankruptcy". True, C11 is often a precursor to bankruptcy, but it ain't the same thing by a long shot (United airlines is still flying). OP, get your facts straight!

Old 01-08-2016, 01:25 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I haven't taken cabs in SF, but knowing the traffic issues the city has, I can imagine it would be expensive. I've had nothing but good experiences with Yellow Cab in Seattle, and in Berkeley. But it works best if you don't have to order a cab by phone (there's usually a 40-minute wait or more), but if you can just walk up to one, if you know where to find them. When I find a good cabbie who charges a fair rate, I'll arrange a trip to the airport with him days in advance (when I happen to need that service), and lock in a bargain rate.

I agree with RadicalWiz, that it would be too bad for cab drivers, if they became obsolete. Driving cab is an easy way for new immigrants to get set up with a job, and it provides them with a functional livelihood. That is a priceless resource. A lot of people will be SOL if the established cab companies go down the drain. It's not in the best interests of the US economy, and it won't be conducive to social peace to have all those middle-eastern immigrants without employment resources, need I say more? I think one problem Europe has had serious problems with "integration" of their immigrants is the lack of jobs for the newcomers.
Have you actually ridden in an Uber in Seattle, let alone SF? Last time I was there, the half dozen Uber rides I took were driven by recent immigrants (most from India, Pakistan, etc). SF is a bit more diverse, but you've got PLENTY of immigrants driving. Lots of teachers, musicians, servers, do it too for quick cash. The Yellow Cab company was an outdated monopoly that bit the hand that fed it. The cab lobby made it insanely difficult to get a medallion/license, but then faced little competition and treated customers like crap. They should have seen it coming, but they didn't. Whoops.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:19 AM

34 posts, read 48,347 times
I agree with 04kL4nD, a very significant percentage of uber/lyft drivers I've seen are immigrants. But the rating system changed it all. I have a really bad experience with cabs before and I assumed it was because they were immigrants but it has to do more with the fact they didn't receive any feedback or faced competition.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:37 AM

732 posts, read 968,697 times
I hope Yellow Cab goes bankrupt, then I'll have less double parkers to yell & cuss at on my cycling commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland