Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 03:09 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Well, really we need to end bart and replace it with something better. But it is easier to cut salaries of people who make 100k for an UNSKILLED JOB than it is to somehow magically make bart no longer require maintenance etc.

And make no mistake. A software engineer at Google is performing a job that requires skill. A cashier at BART is not. The same guy who flips burgers at McDonalds for $12/hr could sit in a bart train and wait for an emergency to press the stop button for $100k. I support a union at McDonalds because it is a for-profit operation. I do not support them at BART.

I feel the same way about other government agencies like VTA and CalTrain.
Part of my main issue with BART is how astronomically-expensive it is to build/expand. Caltrain has a ton of issues (mostly related to it's lack of any dedicated funding), but one huge advantage is it's so much cheaper to expand/improve upon. And we keep expanding BART whereas we ignore viable solutions that are much cheaper for long-distance rail transit.

My ideal scenario for Bay Area rail expansion would consist of building out a true commuter rail system, similar to what is found in NYC/Boston/Philly/Chicago. BART is kind of doing that now, but it's limited (slow, no ability to have express trains because there are no passing tracks, and expensive to build/maintain over long commuter rail distances), and it doesn't go nearly far enough to be a powerful commuter-rail system.

We could have a line going up to the North Bay (basically what SMART is going to be - although it doesn't cross the Bay at all), multiple lines throughout the East Bay that extend all of the way into the Central Valley (could terminate in Oakland at a large multimodal statin (BART, Commuter Rail, and Bus) or cross the Bay over the Dumbarton Rail bridge), and a few lines through the South Bay down to the Monterrey area.

We actually already have some of the rail lines in place to make this happen...building it wouldn't be as far-fetched as some might think.

Unfortunately, we'll just keep expanding BART out further and further wasting tons of money in the process...BART should really be focusing on improving its lines already in place and making the urban sections better (build some passing tracks in some parts, maybe add some infill stations, build another transbay tube, and maybe add another line in SF (Geary?)). I'd take that over BART to Livermore (or beyond).

So this is obviously my pipe dream - but all of this is doable with the correct political motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 01:15 PM

142 posts, read 124,092 times
Maybe come negotiations they won't waste $2m on a union buster, 5 separate press people to denounce the workers, buses to transport people which were never used and they have yet to receive fines for the deaths of the two workers that management caused

Old 04-09-2016, 06:39 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipmart87 View Post
Maybe come negotiations they won't waste $2m on a union buster, 5 separate press people to denounce the workers, buses to transport people which were never used and they have yet to receive fines for the deaths of the two workers that management caused
Oh yeah the BART workers are SO oppressed with their 100k salary for unskilled labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland