Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 06:20 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Are you for real?

Why? Would it be really wrong to challenge people to break the status quo and do something empowering? I thought that's what Bernie Sanders encourages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 06:24 PM

This is from an official Islam site that educates people about Islam:
Responsibility of Hijab for Man and Woman | The Islamic Hijab (Veil) | Books on Islam and Muslims | Al-Islam.org

Please, explain to me how there is anything progressive about this? Look at what women are subjected to? Christianity is also really ****ed up but modern christianity went through reformations and women don't have to adhere to the Old Testament or anything the way muslim women are forced to in the Quran.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:33 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
How do you feel about babushkas and Harley bandanas? Those okay?
I find babushka kerchiefs to be divisive. I can never be a grandma and so I hate when they just flaunt it, pushing their little carts or carrying their grocery bags with their snazzy, but elegantly simple, head coverings. It's an affront to everything that makes America great.

And as for the Harley bandanas, I couldn't bring myself to such levels of cultural appropriation since I drive a pick-up.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:22 PM

That's disingenuous... Harley Bandanas and Babushka scarves do NOT have the same meaning as a Hijab.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:36 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
That's disingenuous... Harley Bandanas and Babushka scarves do NOT have the same meaning as a Hijab.
Oh. Huh.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:24 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,673 times
Quote:
I completely understand... I don't think anyone else here really understood what you were trying to say... I saw people accusing you of being intolerant and one person even called you "donald" (even though what Bill Clinton said to BLM is far worse than what the Donald said about muslims and mexicans... but I digress.)

Modernist didn't say anything intolerant. In fact, he said they're perfectly free to do so. Sure, we can say "why do you care what they wear?"

Now, let's look at it this way... imagine you saw a bunch of white people dressed in prairie clothes like the FLDS women are forced to do... what would you say? You'd call them religious nuts, right?

Many of the women who wear hijabs are forced to wear them by the ultra-patriarichal religion they belong to. Many of them have no choice. They probably would face abuse and cruelty if they chose to remove it, if they're already not facing that at home.

It always baffled my mind why the left chooses to support anything that restricts freedom and liberty - especially womens' rights. In countries in the middle east, women are not allowed to go to school and learn. The Quran forbids it much like the Old Testament forbids it. Why is Islam being defended? Hijabs and Niqqabs are awful, dehumanizing garbs meant to keep women in line. Instead of promoting freedom, equality, and feminism this shames women into thinking they are immodest, their bodies are shameful, and that they should know their place in society.

I was walking down the street and passed an elderly muslim couple. The woman was walking about 5 feet behind her husband. As I passed her, the woman immediately turned away from me and put a scarf up to her face in order to show modesty. I felt very sad for her. What a horrible way to live thinking that the mere sight of your face would be considered immodest. That was very, very sad.

Criticizing religion is not lack of practicing tolerance. All religion is stupid. All religions only serve to bring us backwards in time. All religion is disempowering no matter how much "hope" it brings you. Women are the ones who suffer the most - especially under abrahamic religions.

Imagine a world without religion? We'd all get along much better.
Yes, liberals defending an oppressive and regressive belief system like Islam is ironic and vaguely absurd. It's because they misguidedly see adherents as some kind of 'underdog'. I'm reminded of a situation several years ago in the Netherlands - the local council was accommodating a group of refugees. Well intended social workers were doing their best to help a group of the oppressed. All went swimmingly until the migrants pushed for a separate entrance for the women. What's a good liberal to do?

Old 04-09-2016, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Yes, liberals defending an oppressive and regressive belief system like Islam is ironic and vaguely absurd. It's because they misguidedly see adherents as some kind of 'underdog'. I'm reminded of a situation several years ago in the Netherlands - the local council was accommodating a group of refugees. Well intended social workers were doing their best to help a group of the oppressed. All went swimmingly until the migrants pushed for a separate entrance for the women. What's a good liberal to do?
They would keep defending these practices of oppressing women in the name of tolerance and "multiculturalism". After all, nothing can be worse than what white people do... or did 150 years ago when we had slavery. Never mind that whites were the first to push an end to slavery worldwide.
Look at what's happening in Europe with sexual assaults and violence - particularly against women. Public service announcements are being made and circulated about how to treat women and behave in public. People are also being jailed for speaking out against Islam. Why is this okay?
I'm convinced that some of these people defending these ideologies would continue to defend them even if their heads were being cut off.
I'm not saying ban Islam or any religion (although we'd see strides in social progress of we did do away with religion.) I'm saying that these ideologies are harmful, extremely oppressive, and really should have no place in the civilized world.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:43 AM

520 posts, read 611,525 times
Quote:
After all, nothing can be worse than what white people do... or did 150 years ago when we had slavery. Never mind that whites were the first to push an end to slavery worldwide.
I suspect slaves were the first to push an end to slavery.

I know that religion spurred the abolition of slavery. Look at William Wilberforce. Or Harriet Beecher Stowe. Abolitionism was largely founded upon Christianity.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:43 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Quote:
Why? Would it be really wrong to challenge people to break the status quo and do something empowering? I thought that's what Bernie Sanders encourages?
Bernie Sanders is an idiot.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:23 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,673 times
Quote:
They would keep defending these practices of oppressing women in the name of tolerance and "multiculturalism". After all, nothing can be worse than what white people do... or did 150 years ago when we had slavery. Never mind that whites were the first to push an end to slavery worldwide.
Look at what's happening in Europe with sexual assaults and violence - particularly against women. Public service announcements are being made and circulated about how to treat women and behave in public. People are also being jailed for speaking out against Islam. Why is this okay?
I'm convinced that some of these people defending these ideologies would continue to defend them even if their heads were being cut off.
I'm not saying ban Islam or any religion (although we'd see strides in social progress of we did do away with religion.) I'm saying that these ideologies are harmful, extremely oppressive, and really should have no place in the civilized world.
Yes, and the least of things is why the hell the apparent deference for oppressive superstitions? Again, it's a paradox that the knee-jerk liberal contingent would be offended. As you suggest, if they ain't white they're a victim. An non-bromidic glance might inform one that the 'victim' is sometimes the oppressor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland