Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 02:36 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,162 times

Advertisements

The big takeaway from this thread seems to be some ignorance, largely form somewhat close minded professionals, of what others who work elsewhere actually make in their line of work.
I, too , worked hardcore corporate for some years in the financial services industry and worked with some senior managers and execs making $200k - $350k per year. Outside of their own close knit circle of friends, many managers were truly out of touch with reality. For instance, going so far as to tell a high school level barista at Starbucks, she should definitely submit her resume to the hr dept at JP Morgan Chase as they were looking for entry level financial analysts there. Now, as we all well know this is without exception a futile and truly fruitless effort. In some ways doing an injustice by even suggesting such a thing.
I would hazard a guess and estimate the average salary for a non manager in corporate to be approx. $45k - $85k per year. Then of course professional firms i.e. law , architecture, engineering, medicine and non-tech fields will have most non admin staff on higher income to six figures per year. How much over that figure is largely based on status within that profession.
But , at the end of the day, we have to forgive those somewhat out of touch with true level of earnings for most of the population. To achieve the six figure plus salaries, there are a lot of sacrifices and an absorption in the job as they reach for the top, many might find not for them
Ever wonder why a cheery UPS delivery person coming to the corporate office can seem like a breath of fresh air in an otherwise dreary world of office life.
Incidentally, I recall a senior exec. at Merrill Lynch, who would spend more time telling jokes and talking baseball with the security guards and receptionists than he did with his own staff. This man was a verifiable 7 figure earner. Quite possibly this quality of people skills was what got him to his top ranking role in the first place. He could never be seen as out of touch like many mid levels workers totally immersed in trying to get up the corporate ladder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 02:55 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
I think you're underestimating what people in non-management (as in don't manage people), non-entry level corporate roles make. One doesn't even need to guess.. just check glassdoor. Search accounting manager, marketing manager, sourcing manager (random roles off the top of my head) in San Francisco... you can see down the line it is mostly 100k+. These are not executive roles.

Once again, to make it clear, I am not claiming that a majority of the population in SF makes over $100k (and definitely not $150k). I just meant it is common enough to impact the overall living costs in the area.

Last edited by BicoastalAnn; 04-13-2016 at 03:25 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 03:14 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
For instance, going so far as to tell a high school level barista at Starbucks, she should definitely submit her resume to the hr dept at JP Morgan Chase as they were looking for entry level financial analysts there. .
Telling someone with only a HS degree or maybe an AA at best to apply for a job requiring a BA in something relating to business and finance, or at least--math, isn't out of touch, it's just stupid. Maybe he was trying to impress her by swaggering around and showing off his status. He sure had no intent of genuinely helping her.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:10 PM

219 posts, read 316,403 times
Are 20 somethings expected to have money here.

Because even in well off places in LA and San Diego, 20 somethings are not expected to have a lot of money.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:14 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
They do if they work in tech or they come from rich families. Otherwise, most 20 somethings are barely scraping by. I was super poor until my late 20s and got my Master's degree here.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:19 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
They do if they work in tech or they come from rich families. Otherwise, most 20 somethings are barely scraping by. I was super poor until my late 20s and got my Master's degree here.
Living at home is the great equalizer. I can save more than techies by living at home

Old 04-13-2016, 08:40 PM

It's not just tech companies that can pay a 20something $100k... I don't know if a 20something is "supposed" to have money but some do, some don't.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:49 PM

677 posts, read 835,090 times
Forget tech! Work for the city governments:

http://transparentcalifornia.com/sal...san-francisco/

Employee Compensation 2015 · City of San Jose

Old 04-13-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post

WOW. Well there you go.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:03 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post

Too bad those are only a few people near the very top. Most make much less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland