Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:21 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL... my mom's from Philadelphia, and people ALWAYS ask if she's from New York. Isn't the caaawfee (coffee) a dead giveaway? For cryin' out loud, they even had a Saturday Night Live sketch about that!

One of my favorite shows, Qu@@r as Folk (sorry, they censor that word!) was set in Pittsburgh, but really filmed up in Toronto - is Pittsburgh that bad??
Heck, no -- if we were ready to do it, I'd move back there in a heartbeat. There are aspects of Pittsburgh, PA that are downright beautiful. (not to mention the housing prices!!)

I don't know about Philly's accent, but Pittsburghese has it's own web pages. We joke about -- oh -- that would abaht -- it, but it has deep roots in the area, with historical significance like most accents.

PITTSBURGHESE .com

My parents are from the mountains of Pennsylvania, and our ancestry is "Pennsylvania Dutch" -- which is German ancestry usually of Amish or Mennonite backgrounds. (Mennonite ancestry here!) I actually don't have a Pittsburgh accent, but I do have the syntax (no one uses the words "to be" there!), but when my husband met my father for the first time, he asked me where in Central PA was he from. Daddy had a small twang. And we used words for things that other people didn't use -- or we used words "wrong". But they were colloquial to where my parents grew up. (And why I feel so strongly about banjos and fiddles!)

I "close" lights and computers. Although sometimes I outen them. I've gotten away from opening lights. When my mom was downstairs in the laundry and she needed something from upstairs she'd yell "Throw me down the" whatever. The one I got laughed at as a kid the most over was grinny. A grinny is a chipmunk.

My grandmother told stories about when she had gone to housekeeping with Pappy. That was when she got married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 09:10 AM

67 posts, read 518,639 times
Those beautiful Victorian houses in SF - (the ones where the Tanners "lived" on Full House)...I have always wondered...is there just one street of those houses in SF? Or are they all over the city? I always see them in SF articles. So I was wondering if it was just one single street with those stately homes?

Old 02-14-2008, 10:25 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
There are lots of Victorians and a lot of houses in SF have backyards too. (though there are more Mediterranean style homes I would say, such as the ones in the Sunset, Excelsior, and other outlying neighborhoods.)

As for Bob Sagat living with 4 kids and two slacker dudes, maybe they actually lived a couple blocks down the hill from Alamo Square, in the projects

Old 02-14-2008, 11:20 AM

312 posts, read 1,519,725 times
Actually,only one episode of 'Full house' was record in S.F
rest is record in studio in L.A.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:25 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj88 View Post
Those beautiful Victorian houses in SF - (the ones where the Tanners "lived" on Full House)...I have always wondered...is there just one street of those houses in SF? Or are they all over the city? I always see them in SF articles. So I was wondering if it was just one single street with those stately homes?
The "painted ladies" are exceptional, but that's the style all around the city. It's quite a trip to drive on 19th Avenue and see all these pretty old houses and all the cars parked halfway up on the sidewalk so they don't get sideswiped by one of the thousands of commuters..

Old 02-14-2008, 12:20 PM

For those who remember the theme song to Full House - remember the last part of the song they are shown on a hill having a picnic...this hill was located right in front of those houses...where is that??

Old 02-14-2008, 01:56 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
yep it's TV but don't forget that 80 SF pre 89 loma prieta quake and dot com era is WAAAAAY less expensive than SF now...My friends have a house that resembles the Full House house that they paid 800K for back in 2003 and then put in remodeling to make it habitable at a cost of roughly 275K...but with both working parents and 3 kids under age 6...they'll be moving back east ASAP for better public schools, but their realtor said they'd easily get 1.7 mill for it...oh yeah and they have a yard too in the inner Sunset.
Another friend of mine is a single gal with a GREAT job that lives up the block from those painted ladies at Alamo Square...she lives in a 60's style condo building and her 2 bedroom condo cost her 580K back in 2004....no yard though so go figure.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:48 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj88 View Post
For those who remember the theme song to Full House - remember the last part of the song they are shown on a hill having a picnic...this hill was located right in front of those houses...where is that??
That's Alamo Square Park... where you can see the "5 Ladies" (aka the Painted Ladies) we've been discussing, which is also known as "Postcard Row." One of the most beautiful spots in San Francisco!
Alamo Square Park Pictures

Old 02-14-2008, 02:58 PM

254 posts, read 1,183,516 times
It's beautiful, but man, that park smells like dog poop.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:15 PM

Yes Gizmo, that's exactly what I picture when i think of SF! Thanks for the pic. I wish I lived in SF!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland