Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 05:13 AM

4 posts, read 4,888 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from Houston, TX to the bay area in June to start working at UCSF as a fellow. I will be also moving my children (middle school, elementary, and preschool age) with me for 2 years. Can someone give me a list of apartments/condos available for rent in Walnut creek, preferably 3 bedroom? I need something soon. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 08:44 AM

102,259 posts, read 108,258,157 times
You can look for something on Craigslist. We have no idea what your budget is. Here, help yourself;

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/...y=Walnut+Creek

Old 05-15-2016, 10:10 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,948,345 times
Try here: Walnut Creek Apartments

Old 05-15-2016, 01:17 PM

244 posts, read 181,535 times
Consider Pleasant Hill and parts of Concord bordering Walnut Creek as well. Same general area, similar neighborhood quality and a bit more affordable.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:23 PM

budget is up to 3300

Old 05-15-2016, 07:55 PM

102,259 posts, read 108,258,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss155 View Post
budget is up to 3300
You've been given some good research tools, OP. The ball's in your court. Have fun!

Old 05-16-2016, 12:25 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,508,762 times
Looks like you've been sold the Walnut Creek hype.

If you're working at the UCSF campus in the city, you're making a huge mistake.

-The BART parking fills up very early at the Walnut Creek BART, so get there early.
-Commuting by car? Enjoy the 1.5 hour commute one way if you're driving during normal hours.
-Keep your doors locked, they have some of the highest property crime rates in the area(50% higher than the average for California)

Old 05-17-2016, 10:55 PM

6,751 posts, read 6,763,096 times
-many of the apartments are walkable to BART, no need to worry about parking
-most of the apartments are also in a good school district - WC intermediate, Las Lomas High, Concord's a lot more of a gamble with this
-lots of new apartment/condo construction in DT Walnut Creek, so good value by Bay Area standards, especially given nearby amenities and schools
-40 minute BART ride to DT, connect to the N-Judah on a reverse commute once in the city - not fantastic but not the worst

Old 05-18-2016, 03:34 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,508,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
-many of the apartments are walkable to BART, no need to worry about parking
-most of the apartments are also in a good school district - WC intermediate, Las Lomas High, Concord's a lot more of a gamble with this
-lots of new apartment/condo construction in DT Walnut Creek, so good value by Bay Area standards, especially given nearby amenities and schools
-40 minute BART ride to DT, connect to the N-Judah on a reverse commute once in the city - not fantastic but not the worst
Most apartments are definitely not near the BART.

Are there some? Sure, but most is a stretch.

The housing in Walnut Creek is nice, and a value for the East Bay, I'll give you that. The schools are pretty good in most of Walnut Creek as well.

But the apartments?

When it comes to the neighborhoods with apartments, they are extremely high-crime when it comes to property crime. I personally have had my vehicle broken into during broad daylight, in an apartment parking spot no less. I constantly see people "window shopping" into people cars. The gym even has signs posted all over the place warning people about car break-ins being very common.

The majority of the apartments are also grossly overpriced, and they have serious parking issues. There are some that have great locations, but most of these have been "luxurified" and the rents are outside of the OP's price range.

Most that are in her price range are in the north end near Pleasant Hill/Concord. If you've been there, you'd know, they suck.

OP, you should probably look at a place like Lafayette. It's a great little town, and your dollar will go much farther in Lafayette or Orinda. You're closer(albeit not much) to the city, and the BART stations are much more manageable. Many of the the apartments here are actually within walking distance.

Try not to buy too much into the Walnut Creek hype. Investors have pumped millions and millions of dollars into creating a very good facade of an upper-scale small city. At its core, it's really not much different than Concord.

Last edited by Lockdev; 05-18-2016 at 05:00 AM..

Old 05-18-2016, 05:11 AM

I agree the commute via the BART will not be fun but I need good public schools. I am looking at Pleasant hill, Lafayette, Orinda, and Moraga for a 3 br which is not easy to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland