Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 04:37 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I listened to this podcast about Menlo Park PD trying to change the culture in the 60s. An outsider chief showed an made a ton of changes. It is really interesting what stuck and what didn't.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=370717332
Here's another (more recent) example, Chris Magnus Richmond PD

Departing police chief built Richmond legacy on trust | Richmond Confidential
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 12:59 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
All I really have to go on is based on the sum total of my experience...

Five generations of Oakland natives plus having ties to the business community and a very active member the neighborhood watch.

It still confounds me that once again Oakland is in the national spotlight regarding our Police Department...

Old 06-19-2016, 01:25 AM

758 posts, read 550,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
All I really have to go on is based on the sum total of my experience...
Not exactly. You could not pronounce with such certainty about matters that are still under investigation.

Quote:
Five generations of Oakland natives plus having ties to the business community and a very active member the neighborhood watch.
None of that experience makes it possible for someone to know what happened behind closed doors and what Whent knew and when. Again, you have the option of waiting for evidence.

Quote:
It still confounds me that once again Oakland is in the national spotlight regarding our Police Department...
It is better to be in the national spotlight because the truth is coming out, than to be out of the national spotlight while corruption continues.

The sad thing about this episode is NOT that people around the country see a city in shame. The sad thing about this matter is that officers we gave our trust abused it. And all responses to the problem have to focus on that.

I said it once, but it seems to require repeating:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
Okay, you feel like you had good experiences dealing with the police chief. Still, it is waaaayyyyyyyy too early to be claiming his departure is "our" loss, just as it is waaayyyyyyyy too early to be claiming that his departure is only the beginning of "just punishment." Why don't we all wait for evidence of his innocence or culpability before rendering our verdict?

Old 06-19-2016, 11:09 AM

The Mayor has said Whent was not involved.

Innocent till proven guilty is still the way things work.

OPD administration is in shambles again... this is directly from our community liaison officer.

There comes a point where it is easy to simply say I wasn't there so I don't know... this doesn't mean you are void of opinion...

As a taxpayer in the City of Oakland I have earned the right to my opinion... the public safety budget in Oakland is significant...

As previously said... I found Whent to be a breath of Fresh Air... my opinion based on my interactions.

As to the being in the National Spotlight I should have been more exact... my comment was referring to 4 changes of command in a little over a week.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:13 PM

Oakland Police Chief Fired After Less Than 1 Week

Oakland Police Department

Old 06-19-2016, 05:21 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
There are too many problems in OPD right now, the crap these cops have been pulling just keeps leaking out like pus out of a nasty wound. The only way to fix it is bring someone in from outside and give them the authority to clean up this mess

Here's more on Whent:

Whent served at the pleasure of Warshaw (Court appointed compliance Officer) So why would Warshaw have a change of heart about the man he helped put in the job in the first place? It had to be related to the investigation of the recent sexual misconduct scandal involving at least four cops who had a relationship with the young daughter of an Oakland police dispatcher. Whent had known about the case for months, but for some reason had done nothing with it. So in March, a disgusted (Judge) Henderson took the case away from Whent and gave it to Warshaw. Warshaw then proceeded to oust the cops involved. Sources say that during his investigation, Warshaw must have also uncovered damning information about Whent. So damning, in fact, that Warshaw became convinced that Whent needed to go. Schaaf and Landreth must have reached the same conclusion. Schaaf even hinted that this is what happened at today’s press conference, saying cryptically, and repeatedly, that “all the decisions that were made in this matter … were made in concurrence with” Warshaw.

Two more little "incidents" that were just made public, both happened under Whent's watch

A veteran Oakland police detective who has headed up some of the city’s biggest murder cases is under investigation after his girlfriend told authorities she helped him write up some of his reports, two law enforcement sources familiar with the matter said Friday. The detective, Sgt. Mike Gantt, is on administrative leave. Efforts to reach him were not immediately successful.

Oakland police bombshells: Racist texts, latest chief steps down Some of the officers being investigated were “engaging in hate speech,” and others were “tolerating it” by receiving offensive messages and not reporting them, Schaaf said. One text obtained by NBC news showed an image of a Ku Klux Klan member on a cereal box with the message, “Brad, I heard you got boxes of these in your cupboards.” Another text appeared to show the word, “N—.”

And right in the middle of this mess, a report was released that does not make OPD look very good:

Stanford big data study finds racial disparities in Oakland, Calif., police behavior, offers solutions

An idea about why Fairow was canned:

Ben Fairow - Multiple sources told Bay Area News Group that Fairow apparently had inappropriate sexual contact with another employee during his earlier stint with OPD, possibly influencing Schaaf's decision. However, BART spokesman Jim Allison said the relationship referred to in Rainey's statement did not involve an OPD worker. Oakland police sex scandal: Interim chief out after five days - San Jose Mercury News

Old 06-19-2016, 06:04 PM

Thank you for the additional info...

It really sounds hopeless... with a decade of oversight at a cost of millions and Chief recently in Washington to accept accolades in turning around the department... murders down, violent crime down... and yet... here we go again.

I love Oakland... my neighbors, the climate and most of all living in the heart of the SF Bay Area where people are free to be themselves.

My Great Grandparents settled here and found a place like no other and down deep roots...

Twelve of my friends had careers that started with OPD... none now work for the department... all went to other departments or retirement/disability... those I spoke with want nothing to do with Oakland or the Department... except for their pension/benefits.

The sad thing is the hopelessness of it all... what exactly did the people of Oakland receive for the millions in oversight and consultants?

Also, the cost to vet and train a single officer is significant... so more money down the drain.

How is it we are always in the spotlight with scandel living in the most diverse city of it's size in America???

In all sincerity I meant every word when I said Whent was a breath of fresh air and I was not alone in my thinking...

Oakland is not an inexpensive place to live... we pay a premium to call Oakland home and about 50% more in taxes than nearby communities like Castro Valley...

Maybe we should just give up and turn the reins over the Judge Henderson... in other words the buck stops with him.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:16 PM

Speaking of Facebook it seems the OPD page is woefully out of date... last update is announcing Chief Fairow...

https://www.facebook.com/Oakland-Pol...1011254354978/

Old 06-19-2016, 07:25 PM

397 posts, read 364,175 times
Quote:
Thank you for the additional info...

How is it we are always in the spotlight with scandel living in the most diverse city of it's size in America???
Isn't the bay area police department mostly white compared to NYPD? The citizens are of both cities are pretty diverse.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:46 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinfairfax View Post
Isn't the bay area police department mostly white compared to NYPD? The citizens are of both cities are pretty diverse.
Brown people can't afford to buy homes in the Bay Area. It's like an economic pre-64 Selma Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland