Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 10:23 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times

Advertisements

Once again Oakland is without a Police Chief.

Chief Whent's departure is our loss.

His professionalism, dedication, understanding and compassion was a breath of fresh air in my city...

I met the Chief at several of the town hall meetings I attended and saw a man that truly was working for the best interests of our city and had earned the respect of those he served.

It's only been 24 hours and he is already missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 12:03 AM

397 posts, read 364,380 times
Any idea who is going to be the next chief?

Old 06-13-2016, 04:53 AM

758 posts, read 551,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Once again Oakland is without a Police Chief.

Chief Whent's departure is our loss.

His professionalism, dedication, understanding and compassion was a breath of fresh air in my city...

I met the Chief at several of the town hall meetings I attended and saw a man that truly was working for the best interests of our city and had earned the respect of those he served.

It's only been 24 hours and he is already missed.
Okay, you feel like you had good experiences dealing with the police chief. Still, it is waaaayyyyyyyy too early to be claiming his departure is "our" loss, just as it is waaayyyyyyyy too early to be claiming that his departure is only the beginning of "just punishment." Why don't we all wait for evidence of his innocence or culpability before rendering our verdict?

Old 06-13-2016, 02:08 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,014,689 times
OPD is dysfunctional beyond repair. By far the worst run department in CA

Old 06-13-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
Okay, you feel like you had good experiences dealing with the police chief. Still, it is waaaayyyyyyyy too early to be claiming his departure is "our" loss, just as it is waaayyyyyyyy too early to be claiming that his departure is only the beginning of "just punishment." Why don't we all wait for evidence of his innocence or culpability before rendering our verdict?
The difference between Whent and those that came before him was night and day...

His appointment as chief was the first time in years I was actually optimistic looking ahead.

Only know him as a citizen and attended several of his town halls and smaller format neighborhood meetings... found him to be willing to stay as long as necessary to address concerns and was infinitely more approachable.

Maybe his actions were deceiving but I got the sense he genuinely cared about Oakland and the Department.

Overall... I can't imagine why anyone would want to be Oakland's chief... it is not for the money as many officers in the Bay Area do quite well with retirement and overtime...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-13-2016 at 07:29 PM..

Old 06-13-2016, 07:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
We are losing nothing. Looks like he was complicit in the sexual exploitation of minors. And the repercussions go far beyond OPD. Looks like a coverup.

The Real Reason Why Oakland's Police Chief Was Fired | Feature | East Bay Express

Old 06-13-2016, 07:26 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,726,714 times
Quote:
The difference between Whent and those that came before him was night and day...

His appointment as chief was the first time in years I had was actually optimistic looking ahead.

Only know him as a citizen and attended several of his town halls and smaller format neighborhood meetings... found him to be willing to stay as long as necessary to address concerns and was infinitely more approachable.

Maybe his actions were deceiving but I got the sense he genuinely cared about Oakland and the Department.

Overall... I can't imagine why anyone would want to be Oakland's chief... it is not for the money as many officers in the Bay Area do quite well with retirement and overtime...
You seem to always be optimistic about Oakland

Old 06-13-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
We are losing nothing. Looks like he was complicit in the sexual exploitation of minors. And the repercussions go far beyond OPD. Looks like a coverup.

The Real Reason Why Oakland's Police Chief Was Fired | Feature | East Bay Express
How many other Chiefs will be forced out since it appears to be clear multi agency involvement?

Old 06-13-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
You seem to always be optimistic about Oakland
I was very optimistic about Chief Whent...

So here we go again with the revolving door at OPD

I've worked in a company where the founder ran operations for 20 years... when she retired it has been a series of interim administrators and a changing Board of Directors which has greatly impacted morale...

Never knowing how long the boss will be around isn't the best way to lead.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:00 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
I was very optimistic about Chief Whent...

So here we go again with the revolving door at OPD

I've worked in a company where the founder ran operations for 20 years... when she retired it has been a series of interim administrators and a changing Board of Directors which has greatly impacted morale...

Never knowing how long the boss will be around isn't the best way to lead.
Read the article posted by jade408, that is why Whent is gone.

Oakland Police Underage Sex Scandal Involves Cop Who Possibly Killed His Wife | East Bay Express

Oakland Police Sex Scandal Blows Up Further With Details From Formerly Underage Prostitute: SFist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland