Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 05:06 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,071,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
There are 18 cities higher up on this list than San Jose that are less expensive than San Jose, so this list does nothing to further your point.
Yes it does. According to you it shouldn't be on the list at all, but it is. Hence I am right and you are not.

Quote:
The reason San Jose itself is expensive doesn't have anything to do with how many international travelers it attracts.
The reason international tourists come here to visit is part of the reason why Silicon Valley is expensive. The tech industry and the general greatness of Silicon Valley.

Quote:
if you think San Jose is among one of the best cities in the world and it is affordable for you, then you are luckier than many who come here so kudos to you sir.
Well I just got a new job for $12/hr and I was making $11.25/hr before so I'm not that lucky. But I can afford to live here. It makes no sense that someone who makes over 100k would claim they cannot afford to live here. Maybe they can't afford to buy the specific type of house they want -- which happens to be the most expensive form of housing in the area and therefore should not be expected to be affordable by the middle class -- but they can still live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 05:09 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Yes it does. According to you it shouldn't be on the list at all, but it is. Hence I am right and you are not.
No..... again, my point was not that San Jose was not a good city. My point is it is very expensive compared to other good cities in its class. If this list is your bible for what defines a good city, then all the cities ranked above San Jose should be just as expensive, but they're not. Aka San Jose is more expensive than most other good cities without being better than them. This was my point.. the cost exceeds the value you get, compared to other options out there.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:33 PM

478 posts, read 691,883 times
San Jose/SF has a lot of people yes, but drive around in most of the neighborhoods. Look at the neighborhoods in san jose where the "cheap" SFH or even condos/townhomes cost $500K.. the $500K aras are the GHETTO or simply not a desirable area. they are the bad parts of town. look at how many cars are in the streets. Each home in these areas have multiple generations of families living there. 3 to 4 generations are common. Because the kids and their kids can't afford to move out.

Or they CAN move out but they wont because their lifestyle would drop considerably if they had to pay RENT for their own place. The bay area is one of the few areas where being in your mid 20s heck even 30s and oh my I also know of people in their 40s, and still living in their parents house seem to be ok--in fact a common norm. But many are employed and many even college educated. Simply so they can maintain that "good life" flossing on instagram and facebook eating out, showing off their vacations and material things, but ask where they live, do they own their own house. nope. its more common than you think.

They should do a study to see the average of how many folks live in a house. I know the median income is high but don't they do that by HOUSEHOLD income? And with 3-4 generations in one house it's easy to have that median household income be high, but individual studies should be done.

At what point will these 20, 30, and even 40 somethings continue to do this. Staying at home. Yes they claim to do it to "save" to buy their own place, but years have passed and I see friends still no where close. some pride kicks in they spend a majority of their income renting their own apt, yet still have to find a roommate to bring costs down overall, or they themselves will rent a room within a house--which doesnt change much compared to living at home except costing more just for the pride to say they moved out of their parents house, but that slows down being able to save. I'm talking about people not making 100k salaries. I'm talking about the many making $30-60K home ownership in the bay area.. is almost near impossible. Where that type of salary in many other places in the USA can provide a much better lifestyle.

As someone said, maybe its ok if you are early mid 20s, but when you start your own family its sad that many accepted that this is the way it is. or they continue to save and hope. how long will people accept just "getting by" to stay in the bay area?

Old 06-17-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
No..... again, my point was not that San Jose was not a good city.
It is an excellent city. One of the world's great industries, which is changing the world every day, is based here. World leaders visit routinely for advice on how they can use technology to advance their country.

Why World Leaders Need Silicon Valley

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...aaa_story.html

http://www.economist.com/news/busine...silicon-valley

We have great transit, great politics, great people.

Quote:
This was my point.. the cost exceeds the value you get, compared to other options out there.
One million people disagree

Of course the main reason why I wouldn't leave is that I grew up here and it is home. But Silicon Valley is also a great city/region.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
San Jose/SF has a lot of people yes, but drive around in most of the neighborhoods. Look at the neighborhoods in san jose where the "cheap" SFH or even condos/townhomes cost $500K.. the $500K aras are the GHETTO or simply not a desirable area. they are the bad parts of town. look at how many cars are in the streets. Each home in these areas have multiple generations of families living there. 3 to 4 generations are common. Because the kids and their kids can't afford to move out.
It is actually not that common. Maybe in some areas, but if you look at for example downtown. A lot of people live in each building. But they are all in their 20s. They are either students or they are engineers working at tech companies. I read somewhere that 80% of the people who live in downtown are under 30.

A lot of people can't pay the rent on an apartment by themselves here, but that doesn't mean the majority are living with family. They live with roommates who are not related to them.

Quote:
Or they CAN move out but they wont because their lifestyle would drop considerably if they had to pay RENT for their own place.
yes, it is a desirable area.

Quote:
do they own their own house. nope. its more common than you think.
yeah but that's true of all major cities. Few own their own home in London or Paris or New York, either. If they own a place it is a condo. Most rent.

Quote:
making 100k salaries. I'm talking about the many making $30-60K home ownership in the bay area.. is almost near impossible. Where that type of salary in many other places in the USA can provide a much better lifestyle.
A different lifestyle. I don't think it is better. I would rather share an apartment in Silicon Valley than own a home in Middle of Nowhere, Kentucky.

Quote:
As someone said, maybe its ok if you are early mid 20s, but when you start your own family its sad that many accepted that this is the way it is.
Well, if you start your own family you would rent an apartment to yourself or buy a small condo. If you're single you have roommates. That's city life, not just Silicon Valley. All major cities.

Quote:
or they continue to save and hope. how long will people accept just "getting by" to stay in the bay area?
Well, for centuries, most people in London have lived in a "flat" or apartment. IF they own a place it is a condo inside of a building that contains other condos. So I guess people will accept it for thousands of years just like they have in London.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:17 PM

318 posts, read 337,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
My hubby and I just moved here about 1 year ago. We live in the East Bay area and rent is $2800 for a 1300 sq. ft. Condo. I work in SF and he works in Oakland. He is working around 25-30 hours a week in a contract job and is still looking for a full time job. Neither of us are in the Tech industry and we gross around $120K. We make ends meet, but we gave up living in a 2500 sq. foot house that was $2100 a month and my commute is around $300 a month. I find other areas of COL comparable to Seattle, where we came from.

I am funding my 401K and still paying substantial amount of Child Support that ends this year. That will ease the budget quite a bit, but that being said, this is NOT a place to come if you want to get ahead, unless you are in the high paid tech sector.

I came here for the sunshine and weather and knew I would have to pay for it. Also, I cannot convince my husband to move back to Texas (where I grew up and we met).
Thanks for the information, random question but you're a woman and pay child support ? but good thing it's almost over with !! Like u said that extra income will help, yep were not looking to get ahead but do want to still save $1,000 a month each if possible or somewhere close, never go backwards in our savings.

We're not moving there to settle unless market crashes and we can move up at our jobs and buy, but we're looking at 1-2 years, and then southern Cal, Miami, NJ etc. we want out of Texas and just experience somethin new.

Southern cal was first pick, but I randomly got 2 interviews in school districts In the Bay Area, so we will just roll with that.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:48 AM

318 posts, read 337,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdude_08 View Post
Why do you want to leave Houston and move to California? Curious.
I stated the reasons in my first post, change of lifestyle try something new for a 1-2 years, I've done everything in Houston, want to try different cities, you never get time back, lived in Houston all my life, went to college 45 mins from Houston, it's a great city, just turned 30

Old 06-18-2016, 09:48 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonview View Post
I stated the reasons in my first post, change of lifestyle try something new for a 1-2 years, I've done everything in Houston, want to try different cities, you never get time back, lived in Houston all my life, went to college 45 mins from Houston, it's a great city, just turned 30
Go for it, OP! You're poised to get the most out of Bay Area living. Very different environment than TX and the SW. Be sure to explore the redwood forests and the coastline & beaches. And Yosemite National Park! A must see!

Old 06-18-2016, 12:09 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,725,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post

Or they CAN move out but they wont because their lifestyle would drop considerably if they had to pay RENT for their own place. The bay area is one of the few areas where being in your mid 20s heck even 30s and oh my I also know of people in their 40s, and still living in their parents house seem to be ok--in fact a common norm. But many are employed and many even college educated. Simply so they can maintain that "good life" flossing on instagram and facebook eating out, showing off their vacations and material things, but ask where they live, do they own their own house. nope. its more common than you think.

They should do a study to see the average of how many folks live in a house. I know the median income is high but don't they do that by HOUSEHOLD income? And with 3-4 generations in one house it's easy to have that median household income be high, but individual studies should be done.

At what point will these 20, 30, and even 40 somethings continue to do this. Staying at home. Yes they claim to do it to "save" to buy their own place, but years have passed and I see friends still no where close. some pride kicks in they spend a majority of their income renting their own apt, yet still have to find a roommate to bring costs down overall, or they themselves will rent a room within a house--which doesnt change much compared to living at home except costing more just for the pride to say they moved out of their parents house, but that slows down being able to save. I'm talking about people not making 100k salaries. I'm talking about the many making $30-60K home ownership in the bay area.. is almost near impossible. Where that type of salary in many other places in the USA can provide a much better lifestyle.

As someone said, maybe its ok if you are early mid 20s, but when you start your own family its sad that many accepted that this is the way it is. or they continue to save and hope. how long will people accept just "getting by" to stay in the bay area?
I can always become a slum lord in one of the more affordable places while living at home if I want the "home ownership experience"

Old 06-18-2016, 12:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
The gardener would be making less than median but owns the home
And now that home designed for the blue collar gardener in the 70s/80s costs $1M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland