Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:50 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Am I to assume that traffic is the sole criterion for assessing how "real" a downtown is?
The abundance of shopping, Large Crowds, Congestion and Alot of Tourism should tell you. But I see you're still trying to be PC about the situation. You're telling me downtown Sacramento is the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 06:20 PM

112 posts, read 325,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinPacificaCA View Post
well then you obviously haven't been to NY... Rat infestation and cockroaches everywhere... not to mention the amount of trash on the streets... a truely amazing city but a very filthy one
Have you actually been to New York? Manhattan is pretty much spotless. I've never seen a roach or a rat in New York.
I love San Franciscom but Manhattan is much cleaner.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:01 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
The abundance of shopping, Large Crowds, Congestion and Alot of Tourism should tell you. But I see you're still trying to be PC about the situation. You're telling me downtown Sacramento is the same?
No, I'm not saying it's the same. I'm debating your point about "real vs not real." Try to keep up.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:08 AM

858 posts, read 2,236,713 times
NYC by far is the dirtiest city. I lived there for 2 years and just left there a month ago.

One reason I moved out of there is because it is darn filthy.

I get food poisoned about once or twice a month. Restaurants are shut down left and right. If they have the grading system like Cali, most restaurants would be shut down.

Dog poof residue everywhere on the sidewalks.

Walk for a block and smelled 4 different kinds of odor.

Trash are in front of the restaurants, only about 3 ft away.

The apartments/studios are filthy. I am glad I am out of there.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:17 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,339 times
Quote:
Actually Europe and Aus are Cleaner than the US Canada Also. Vancouver and Toronto are spotless.
I think, like anything, it depends where you go. Aus obviously has a much smaller population than the U.S, but parts of Sydney look like they should be condemmed, IMHO. Abandoned buildings being left to rot, grafitti, neglected houses..maybe it doesn't have the same 'dirty' impact as garbage in the gutter (mind you, plenty of that around), but it shouldn't be as bad as it is for such a small population. Driving around the other day, we thought the 'hood we were in resembled parts of NOLA..but Sydney hasn't had any natural disasters!
It aint all shiny opera houses and white sandy beaches down under, dont you worry!

Old 03-01-2008, 11:36 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post

Dog poof residue everywhere on the sidewalks.
In SF it's not just dog "poof" that you step in.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:35 PM

323 posts, read 1,426,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
I think, like anything, it depends where you go. Aus obviously has a much smaller population than the U.S, but parts of Sydney look like they should be condemmed, IMHO. Abandoned buildings being left to rot, grafitti, neglected houses..maybe it doesn't have the same 'dirty' impact as garbage in the gutter (mind you, plenty of that around), but it shouldn't be as bad as it is for such a small population. Driving around the other day, we thought the 'hood we were in resembled parts of NOLA..but Sydney hasn't had any natural disasters!
It aint all shiny opera houses and white sandy beaches down under, dont you worry!
Aussie population may be less, but Sydney is not. Most of Australia lives in the 4-5 cities and rest is completely deserted.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:45 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
No, I'm not saying it's the same. I'm debating your point about "real vs not real." Try to keep up.
San Jose Downtown does not give a "real city feel". Downtown Sacramento not a "real city feel", downtown Los Angeles same thing, they feel like suburbs with buildings..............when I say real, i'm talking about the hustle and bustle that you see and feel in financial districts of SF, Chicago, NY, London etc.... Shall I go on?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:32 PM

256 posts, read 1,403,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of scary & dirty parts of Bayview - but there are also some nice new developments, which are safe & clean without the high rent of other neighborhoods. Best of both worlds! Not to mention, we're the sunniest part of San Francisco.
you live right next to the train tracks huh... that pics you posted looks like that could be the only place in the bayview with that kind of new stuff i believe its armstrong & newhall... anyway that part isnt too bad because its removed from most of the heart of the bayview

Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
San Jose Downtown does not give a "real city feel". Downtown Sacramento not a "real city feel", downtown Los Angeles same thing, they feel like suburbs with buildings..............when I say real, i'm talking about the hustle and bustle that you see and feel in financial districts of SF, Chicago, NY, London etc.... Shall I go on?
No, you don't need to go on to prove that you're insane. So what, are there about ten "real" cities on Earth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland