Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 01:23 AM

20 posts, read 35,146 times

Advertisements

I relocated to SF 6 months ago and I think that this is the most overrated, filthy city in the county. I don't work in tech so for me this place is not worth it at all. SF is like living Seattle lifestyle for Manhattan price (actually even more expensive).

SF Negatives:
-No diversity among the 20s something population (meaning that 99.9% of ppl I meet here who have recently relocated here in the last few years all work in tech)
-Insane cost of living...I am jealous of my friends in Manhattan who pay much less than I do for their rooms in high-rise buildings.
-Horrible male/female ratio. This is the only city I've been to where the men's bathroom lines are longer in bars. 49ers is also a big issue here (not talking about the football team).
-Horrible and expensive public transit. If I were to live in Oakland and commute to SF it would cost $6.90 each day since the crappy BART doesn't offer monthly pass and stops running at midnight.
-Slow MUNI buses (its often times faster to walk)
-Bars close at 1:30am! Yet Californians think that they live in such a big party state.
-SF snobs! People in this city have such an inferiority complex. Always comparing themselves to NYC, London, Paris. SF is NOT on the same level as those cities. SF is a 7x7= 49 sq mile toilet sitting on fault lines.
-Bad Summer weather. Sure the weather is "mild" but its summer. I don't want to wear a jacket/scarf in June/July/August. In SF you need to wear a jacket after 6pm 360 days a year.
-California bubble! I have met many people here who have never been outside of California (besides Vegas) and they think that SF is so cool because it's walkable, dense, and has BART. These idiots have never been to Northeastern cities so they think that SF is very unique since they only compare it to LA/OC/SD. They are the people that tell you that they could never live on the east coast because it snows all the time on a 55 degree foggy/windy SF summer day. They also wont't believe me when I tell them that beaches on the east coast even as far north as New England are warmer than SF beaches in summer.
-flaky ppl (look up "SF Yes")
-Most 20's something SF Bay Area natives I meet want to move out of here (unless they are in tech) and surprisingly many of them that probably grew up hating LA are even considering it due to lower cost of housing and real diversity.

To the pro SF folks here please tell me what makes SF so great?
Is it really worth it to live in such an overrated boring city and pay the Manhattan price?
Is is worth living in college like housing situation with a bunch of roommates or spending most of your income on rent to live in a crappy studio?
Is it worth it to have a million+ dollar mortgage for a very basic home on an earthquake fault, while almost everywhere else in the county 1 million+ property is going to be something upscale.
-Is the so called "mild weather" here really worth it? Especially the very miserable weather of SF (West of Twin Peaks), Daly City, Pacifica, South SF? I think something much be wrong with the people that are paying over a million for homes in Sunset District because you get a yard. When can you ever get enjoy being out in that yard?

Last edited by SFsucks; 11-21-2016 at 01:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 01:42 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
You should go back to where you feel more comfortable and open up a space for the many people who wants to move here.

Bye.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:24 AM

20 posts, read 35,146 times
I'm getting out of here soon, can't wait. By the way there is plenty of "OPEN SPACE" here. It is the NIMBY hypocrite scums that are to blame for the housing situation here.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:38 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Indeed SF has a lot of open space, it's another reason why it's nice here. But I reckon you don't feel the same way.

Godspeed.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:14 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,665 times
I went to LA 2 weeks ago and was taken aback by not only it's diversity, but modernity, nightlife/parties and amenities. Lots of late-night dining options (sorry SF). The women are way more beautiful and as a bonus, more realistic/down to earth, nicer people overall. Cheaper rents (half as expensive as SF). There is much more economic diversity, there is no mono-class of white, tech/professional hipsters who all talk and act the same. SF has become utterly boring.

LA has come a long way. At this point, I don't even see the appeal of SF. An easy move for sure. I'm likely to make one within the next year or so. I'll come up to SF to visit family then head back everyone else in socal lol.

Last edited by BayDude; 11-21-2016 at 03:30 AM..

Old 11-21-2016, 05:22 AM

166 posts, read 278,574 times
Yea, everybody I come across from SF act like they have a huge chip on their shoulder for some reason. Like they have to constantly brag about "the bay" or people won't notice them. I think it has to do with the boringness of the place.

And there are so many fake entrepreneurs now. You go to a bar expecting your barkeep to just pour you a nice cold one and leave you alone, but after a sip, he tells you about this awesome new app he's developing and if you'd be interested in investing. everybody swears their app will change the world. i think they've said it so many times, they actually believe it themselves now!

women there are, on average, quite sharp and intelligent, but not very physically attractive, that's true. but it's not like SF has ever tried to advertise itself as the good looks capital of the US.

LA continues to impress each year, agreed with above poster. I say let the techies continue fighting amongst themselves over their $1000 per square foot pieces of land while throwing away investors' money at another pointless app that's only going to waste people's times while selling their information to third-party marketers although they promised not to

Old 11-21-2016, 09:08 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,639,536 times
Bummer brah!

Old 11-21-2016, 10:29 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,990,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFsucks View Post
I'm getting out of here soon, can't wait. By the way there is plenty of "OPEN SPACE" here. It is the NIMBY hypocrite scums that are to blame for the housing situation here.
Whaaaahhhh!!

Old 11-21-2016, 10:34 AM

238 posts, read 302,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFsucks View Post

To the pro SF folks here please tell me what makes SF so great?
Is it really worth it to live in such an overrated boring city and pay the Manhattan price?
Is is worth living in college like housing situation with a bunch of roommates or spending most of your income on rent to live in a crappy studio?
Is it worth it to have a million+ dollar mortgage for a very basic home on an earthquake fault, while almost everywhere else in the county 1 million+ property is going to be something upscale.
-Is the so called "mild weather" here really worth it? Especially the very miserable weather of SF (West of Twin Peaks), Daly City, Pacifica, South SF? I think something much be wrong with the people that are paying over a million for homes in Sunset District because you get a yard. When can you ever get enjoy being out in that yard?

what you find overrated an boring, others find fantastic. i've lived in NYC, too, so i also know what cities have to offer.
i am fortunate not to live like a college student. i live with my spouse and children in a spacious and modern home.
having lived in places with horrible winters and humid summers - yes, the weather is SO worth it. i spend a lot of time outside and find the weather ideal.

so the upshot for me is for those that can afford it, SF is a fantastic place to live. also, i try not to hang out with people between the ages of 16- 35, which makes life much more tolerable.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:07 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Given a choice between NYC, LA or SF (strictly SF, not the broader Bay Area), I'd pick SF, if I could afford it. Better weather (LA gets too hot, unless you're on near the beach), access to great entertainment around the Bay, scenic as hell, REDWOODS nearby, and I'm not the party type, so I don't care if everything shuts down by 1:00 a.m. Lots of good restaurants, parks, museums, BEACH, and a mellower vibe, IMO, than in NYC and LA. NYC and LA are much too big; SF is compact. And did I mention the proximity to the redwoods?

But, to each his/her own. OP, if you want to pay less and put up with sweltering heat/humidity for 4-5 months, and snow, winter storms, power outages, by all means, move to NYC. I'll admit, though, I can see your point as someone who moved to SF to start a career; it feels like you're paying through the nose for rent, and you're trying to figure out what you're getting for your money. To people who have been raised in the Bay Area, the perspective is different. Do what works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland