Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 07:14 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times

Advertisements

Film Industry - LA > Toronto > Atlanta > NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 12:36 PM

68 posts, read 74,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audreymara95 View Post
What areas would you recommend for someone looking for film work? LA is daunting because I don't have a car, and I've heard that the cost of living is outrageous. But if the Bay- Area doesn't have opportunities, what would you suggest?

LA has improved greatly in public transportation; it might be worth looking at the forum for more information, but I had two friends recently graduate from UCLA and Angeles College that were both carless (however, one did live with a boyfriend that had a vehicle she occasionally used). The key is to live as close to where you work as possible and hopefully be in a neighborhood that has everything you'd usually use (grocery store, cafes, gyms, etc). It's easy enough to rent a car for special occasions (concerts, events, etc), or trips (up to the mountains, valley, beach, etc).

One question I do have is the people I've meet that work in the film industry are required to be on location, or at various studios. Do you know if your line of work is going to require you to work multiple sites? That might make the lack of vehicle infinitely more difficult..

Old 12-14-2016, 09:27 PM

351 posts, read 342,396 times
you can buy a used car for $3000. That's like 1 month rent in SF

Old 12-18-2016, 11:09 AM

500 posts, read 841,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
you can buy a used car for $3000. That's like 1 month rent in SF
Or an apartment on wheels aka "cheap van in running condition"
Yes, these rents are crazy.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:54 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The COL in the Bay Area is more outrageous than in LA; LA would actually be your more affordable option. However, for some aspects of film production, you can live anywhere, and telecommute. I knew someone in Seattle who "worked in the film industry" doing animation for a producer in LA.

If you need help with a job search, this probably isn't the best forum for your inquiry. Have you met with the job placement staff at your university for leads and help? They're probably your best resource.
LOL that is becausre animation is mostly tech.

If she wants to do entry level in film, she needs to be in LA or NYC or she is going to be limiting her career options.

It would be like choosing Vermont over Houston for a career in energy, or Des Moines over San Jose for tech. Or Salt Lake over Wallstreet for finance.

There is literally zero reason to be a starving post grad film student in Oakland. You will set your career back 5 years. And when you are 30 you will wonder why you are competing with kids fresh out of school for work.

And you can live in LA with out a car. It won't be easy like it is in NYC, but it can be done. It's about as easy as living without a car in Oakland. You just have to make sure you live as close to a transit line as possible and buy a bike.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:58 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audreymara95 View Post
And when I say "film Industry" you can take that lightly. I have a dual major in Digital Media Productions and Communications so I'm looking for any entry levels jobs that might resonate within these fields
Have you talked to your senior adviser or college career placement center to see if they have access to any job openings for recent graduates? It would be awesome if they could hook you up with an apprenticeship no matter where it is, just to get your feet wet and have real life experience. It's hard to walk into a good job anywhere with a degree in your hand but no experience

Old 12-20-2016, 10:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
LOL that is becausre animation is mostly tech.

If she wants to do entry level in film, she needs to be in LA or NYC or she is going to be limiting her career options.

It would be like choosing Vermont over Houston for a career in energy, or Des Moines over San Jose for tech. Or Salt Lake over Wallstreet for finance.

There is literally zero reason to be a starving post grad film student in Oakland. You will set your career back 5 years. And when you are 30 you will wonder why you are competing with kids fresh out of school for work.

And you can live in LA with out a car. It won't be easy like it is in NYC, but it can be done. It's about as easy as living without a car in Oakland. You just have to make sure you live as close to a transit line as possible and buy a bike.
I don't know, it seems like film studios are not exactly in convenient locations. For another type of job you could possibly make it work but...

Old 12-20-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't know, it seems like film studios are not exactly in convenient locations. For another type of job you could possibly make it work but...
Yea and they are even less convenient in the bay area, as well as virtually non existent there.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:02 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Yea and they are even less convenient in the bay area, as well as virtually non existent there.
Well I was talking about LA - no car. We are in agreement it is a waste of time to live here.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Well I was talking about LA - no car. We are in agreement it is a waste of time to live here.
Again, it can be done. I know many who do it. It's not easy, but if she has a good bike it is doable. And ince she makes enough money she can buy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland