Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 02:41 PM

59 posts, read 53,594 times

Advertisements

I checked with the city today. Permit is needed for this work and the permit is obtained by the contractor.

What to do with current permit and if next contractor can take over is still not clear. City asked to come again after holiday season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 05:49 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Francois View Post
I checked with the city today. Permit is needed for this work and the permit is obtained by the contractor.

What to do with current permit and if next contractor can take over is still not clear. City asked to come again after holiday season.
Sorry, OP, just to clarify: did you ask the city the bolded? And they said to ask again after the New Year? Would a new contractor be able to request a new permit, I wonder? Even if you have to pay for a 2nd permit, I think starting fresh would be the way to go.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sorry, OP, just to clarify: did you ask the city the bolded? And they said to ask again after the New Year? Would a new contractor be able to request a new permit, I wonder? Even if you have to pay for a 2nd permit, I think starting fresh would be the way to go.

Thank you for checking with me.

Yes. I asked this question and lot more actually. As you might know, city maintains contractor and permit number. According to them, for some cases, it is possible to change the contractor and in some cases it is not. In our case, since even demolition has not started, it should be OK is the response. The right person to answer wont be back until Jan 3rd.

In case the contractor can be changed, the city needs in writing from current contractor and I that work requested in the permit is not being done by him. Need to get letter template. This seems tough to navigate because so far current contractor is not willing to give anything in writing. The city also needs letter from new contractor that he is taking over the work in the permit. This is OK.

I agree with you on fresh 2nd permit. I like that option more than anything else. How do we void the current one or whether we can void the current one? I did not get answers today.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:05 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
You do realize when a new contractor applies for a permit he will see the old one and probably have some questions

Old 12-28-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
You do realize when a new contractor applies for a permit he will see the old one and probably have some questions

Yes. The new contractor will very likely have questions. I do not know what else to say other than what happened. I am sure the new one will be skeptical.

A clean slate is what I prefer. Void old permit. The new one will start fresh with plans and permits. Do not know if it is possible though.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:17 AM

What a nightmare! It is SO unfair that an unscrupulous contractor can hold a client and his home hostage like this!

OP, although you've done a good job of navigating the situation thus far, in the end, to get the current contractor to put in writing that he's relinquishing the job, you may still have to pay a lawyer to hold a gun to his head.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:52 PM

Yes. It is a nightmare for me.

I find the whole set-up is tilted in favor of contractor. The home owner just wants to get the work done. There is no extra value or incentive to the home owner in delaying the project. Contractor on the other hand can bully the home owner, delay it and negotiate in person or in phone for better price. All these do not have any repercussions on him.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Francois View Post
Yes. It is a nightmare for me.

I find the whole set-up is tilted in favor of contractor. The home owner just wants to get the work done. There is no extra value or incentive to the home owner in delaying the project. Contractor on the other hand can bully the home owner, delay it and negotiate in person or in phone for better price. All these do not have any repercussions on him.
That's why you don't sign any agreement that includes a gag clause. If he insists on that before he'll write the letter, you should have a lawyer. The whole matter should only take 1 hr. of the lawyer's time, it shouldn't be crazy-expensive, though once you add the cost of a new permit to it, the extra expenses are mounting. But still, at this point it will be worth it just to get the current contractor out of your hair.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:14 PM

I spoke to City people today. I have two options.

1. Transfer permit. A new contractor can take over the work with written letters from all parties - I, original contractor, new contractor.

2. Cancel permit - This permit can be voided. I need to submit written letter to the city.

Most likely, I will go with option 2.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:19 PM

423 posts, read 610,331 times
Just a general comment. It might or might not be applicable to Terry's case as there is HOA. By the way, is your house a condo, townhouse, or single family house?

City requires permit for everything, so if you ask them about bathroom remodeling, of course permit is required. Now, whether you get permit or not is separate decision...

If adding a bathroom, get a permit. Physical additions expanding the house footprint can be seen outside the property. And adding bathrooms by taking up interior space is also an issue because # of rooms/bedrooms can be in city record. Anytime in the future, it's possible for city to identify if additions were permitted or not. City can force unpermitted additions to be removed; or obtain permit and inspection, which is means opening drywalls and it's like paying 2x.

If I'm remodeling a bathroom (changing bathtub/shower, re-tiling, replacing toilet, new vanity, or even moving waterline and drain), I would consider the permit situation. Obviously every owner needs to make that decision.

There are several aspects.
1. Changes should be done to code.
2. Things that were up-to-code previously, but new code requires changes. Some are useful, some are not.
3. Latest green code (LED lights, fan with humidity sensor or auto on/off, water usage restrictions, etc). To me, a lot of this is BS. I rather choose what green codes I want to follow for cost, convenience, and conservation decision.

I would consider using licensed contractor (or even unlicensed if I'm careful) without getting permit, especially if I'm in single family house. The concern is that when contractors come and go, neighbors can report you. If in townhouse or condo, obviously the noise can prompt the neighbors to investigate. The good news is bathroom remodeling is not a big job. Only 1 or 2 contractors are present at any time; and job can be done in 1 weeks. And later, no one can even tell if there was remodeling done and whether permitted or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: