Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 01:49 PM

24 posts, read 109,249 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Looking for information/guidance into relocating to Northern California this June/July, currently living in Colorado and it’s time for a change.

I’m looking to relocate either to San Francisco/surrounding area or to Napa/Sonoma(both have been visited numerous times) but I’m having difficulties decidingbetween urban city life or the tranquil/quietness of suburbia.

My Bio: (sounds like a dating profile)
  • Will be 38 this Fall
  • Female
  • Single, no children
  • Financially secure (retiring this Summer)
  • Needing a change of pace/scenery, new experiences and betterweather (no snow)
  • Love the outdoors, great food & wine, shopping, reading,social clubs, music and trying new things
I’m looking for:
  • 3 bed/bath house w/backyard between $2-3M
  • Not far from decent nightlife/culture (not big on the club scene,lived in Vegas during my 20’s)
  • Close to restaurants and shopping
  • Safe/Low crime
Is there a city with a short distance between the two? I been favoring a lot ofproperties on Truila, Redfin and Zillow in Marin County, but I’m looking formore suggestions to help expand my search.

It’sbeen awhile since I’ve been to Napa/Sonoma, how is the nightlife?

Truly grateful for any information, pen and notepad ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 05:10 PM

102,269 posts, read 108,310,604 times
What do you mean by nightlife, but not clubs? Some of us born-and-raised Bay Area people aren't into nightlife, much. A good jazz club, yes. But a lot of us aren't nightlife people. There should be others here who can advise you on that score.

There's Novato, in Marin. There's Santa Rosa. Sebastopol appeals to some. Those might be a good compromise between boringly rural vs. overly urban. What about climate? The closer you get to the ocean, the cooler it will be. That's an issue only in the summer; if you don't mind CO summers, you won't mind Sonoma or Napa, where it gets hot, except for closer to the Bay (town of Napa). I think Marin has more happening musically, but Napa, obviously, has more happening food-and-wine-wise.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-02-2017 at 05:27 PM..

Old 03-02-2017, 05:48 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,069,830 times
Napa besides the vineyards is very bland, boring and actually had quite a few vacant shops.

Go somewhere like San Mateo, Burlingame

Old 03-04-2017, 03:16 AM

7 posts, read 37,164 times
I have lived in Napa and it is really pretty, but like bmw said, it is bland and not much to do. Not even a mall, just outlets. Not really a nightlife. Downtown has a few good bars but that's about it.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:54 PM

901 posts, read 1,171,216 times
Nice budget for the size of house in the Bay Area. I think either Marin or maybe certain towns in the Peninsula/South Bay are for you. I did have an old single female friend lament once how many of those there were in Marin, but whatever.

Normally people want to live in Marin and work in SF, and underestimate that the commute is not great (not horrible, but not good except in a few pockets.) Not a worry for you.

Do you NOT want to be around rich people? Then all of these places may be suffocating for you. Not sure of your tolerance. I could live in these places.

You could look at Los Gatos or Palo Alto also. You could also live in a town along the San Mateo coast, and always be able to get to SF within an hour's drive (except maybe rush hour). The Marin and Sonoma coasts are more sparse, but worth considering if you want isolation. They are harder to drive to SF from, however.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:16 PM

42,876 posts, read 26,424,218 times
Napa is suburban and boring. With that budget I would look around Tiburon or Mill Valley. If that doesn't appeal to you then maybe an area like Montclair in Oakland - or Albany or Berkeley.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:22 AM

3,250 posts, read 6,321,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly926 View Post
but I’m having difficulties deciding between urban city life or the tranquil/quietness of suburbia.
Get both together. Live in the beautiful peaceful San Francisco neighborhood of Forest Hill and have a 12 minute ride to SF downtown from Forest Hill station. Do a youtube search for "San Francisco Forest Hill Neighborhood" for a preview.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:05 AM

126 posts, read 124,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
With that budget I would look around Tiburon or Mill Valley. .
without question

Old 03-12-2017, 12:19 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,958,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Get both together. Live in the beautiful peaceful San Francisco neighborhood of Forest Hill and have a 12 minute ride to SF downtown from Forest Hill station. Do a youtube search for "San Francisco Forest Hill Neighborhood" for a preview.
Lovely neighborhood

Old 03-14-2017, 10:05 AM

3,487 posts, read 5,292,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Lovely neighborhood
I love Forest Hill, but I'd probably kill myself dealing with that fog and cold most of the year, especially knowing I could be in Marin enjoying the scenery and sunshine. I'd still recommend that over FH...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland