Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 02:42 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I agree. My statement is not really true for Hayward. I don't see the data but it is logical that some being displaced from Oakland would move to Hayward. Maybe you did??? I thought you wrote somewhere recently that you had left Oakland for a nearby municipality.
Yeah, I left Oakland

I did move within 15-20 mins from where I used to live, but after spending the last ~7 years singing the praises of the city and actively encouraging plenty of people to move, I'm going to keep my mouth shut about where I specifically live now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 02:58 PM

95 posts, read 108,041 times
Back in the early 1990's, Sun Microsystems (a top tech company at that time) had a nice campus at Hayward, right next to the Hwy 92.

I used to work at Oracle in the 1990's, and we often went over to Hayward to attend meetings at Sun Microsystems.

Nowadays, with many tech-employees moving their families to living in/around Hayward; eventually, it would make sense for their companies to put branch office/campus in Hayward close to where their employees live.

Meanwhile, Hayward is working on allowing buildings (up to seven-story high) around downtown. It will breath new life (residence, retail, commercial, etc.) to the area, and some are already happening.

Also, the Hayward Industrial Area has lands that are undeveloped/underdeveloped. I always thought that it would be a potential area for companies like Tesla to expand to.

Hayward is in the center of the Bay Area, with comfortable bay weather, and close to many major freeways.

The prices (residential and commercial) are still relatively reasonable compared to other bay area cities. It has potentials, and changes are happening everyday.

Last edited by netaxcat; 09-07-2017 at 03:30 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 06:22 PM

Hayward is definitely fortunate to have 2 BART stations, 580/880/238 freeways running through it, direct access to the San Mateo Bridge and great Bay Area weather. If the city can encourage smart residential construction (affordable midrise apartments/condos near transit centers, and affordable starter homes to replace swaths of unused industrial lots) at a fast pace and lure in businesses, it could absolutely be the next Fremont (a former cow-town that's now incredibly expensive with outstanding public schools and major centers), or even Livermore or Dublin. Hopefully they can seize the window of opportunity they have, unlike Oakland or SF where the only real construction has been luxury units that few can afford. Those cities are pretty much screwed right now, and I'm not seeing a whole lot of reasons to see any radical changes any time soon.

The problem with Hayward is mostly rooted in perception. Like Oakland, it continues to have a somewhat negative reputation that stems from the urban decay that took place decades ago. Most people still lump it in with areas like Vallejo, Richmond, Concord (certain parts at least), Pittsburg, etc because they associate it with being a run down, low income type of place, instead of grouping it with places like San Leandro, San Lorenzo, Castro Valley, Union City, Newark, etc that are solidly middle class and "normal" for Bay Area standards.

I'm definitely curious to see what happens to the city and I'm rooting for it to succeed, but the pessimist in me thinks that as soon as the next economic downturn happens in the Bay Area, it will be one of the first places to regresses back to being one of the "dumpy" parts of the Bay Area.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:30 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Hayward is definitely fortunate to have 2 BART stations, 580/880/238 freeways running through it, direct access to the San Mateo Bridge and great Bay Area weather. If the city can encourage smart residential construction (affordable midrise apartments/condos near transit centers, and affordable starter homes to replace swaths of unused industrial lots) at a fast pace and lure in businesses, it could absolutely be the next Fremont (a former cow-town that's now incredibly expensive with outstanding public schools and major centers), or even Livermore or Dublin. Hopefully they can seize the window of opportunity they have, unlike Oakland or SF where the only real construction has been luxury units that few can afford. Those cities are pretty much screwed right now, and I'm not seeing a whole lot of reasons to see any radical changes any time soon.

The problem with Hayward is mostly rooted in perception. Like Oakland, it continues to have a somewhat negative reputation that stems from the urban decay that took place decades ago. Most people still lump it in with areas like Vallejo, Richmond, Concord (certain parts at least), Pittsburg, etc because they associate it with being a run down, low income type of place, instead of grouping it with places like San Leandro, San Lorenzo, Castro Valley, Union City, Newark, etc that are solidly middle class and "normal" for Bay Area standards.

I'm definitely curious to see what happens to the city and I'm rooting for it to succeed, but the pessimist in me thinks that as soon as the next economic downturn happens in the Bay Area, it will be one of the first places to regresses back to being one of the "dumpy" parts of the Bay Area.
It sounds like an exciting vision, if the Powers That Be have the wisdom to make it happen! And yeah, affordable housing, including starter homes, is a great idea.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:38 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
At least part of San Leandro and San Lorenzo have Arroyo HS, which still has a pulse.

Hayward just has horrible schools, which will only attract low income families.

Not sure Yaystack has the urban bones to attract the hep crowd.

It was a farm town until WW2, and really pretty much an old school tractoburb.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:45 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netaxcat View Post
Back in the early 1990's, Sun Microsystems (a top tech company at that time) had a nice campus at Hayward, right next to the Hwy 92.

I used to work at Oracle in the 1990's, and we often went over to Hayward to attend meetings at Sun Microsystems.

Nowadays, with many tech-employees moving their families to living in/around Hayward; eventually, it would make sense for their companies to put branch office/campus in Hayward close to where their employees live.

Meanwhile, Hayward is working on allowing buildings (up to seven-story high) around downtown. It will breath new life (residence, retail, commercial, etc.) to the area, and some are already happening.

Also, the Hayward Industrial Area has lands that are undeveloped/underdeveloped. I always thought that it would be a potential area for companies like Tesla to expand to.

Hayward is in the center of the Bay Area, with comfortable bay weather, and close to many major freeways.

The prices (residential and commercial) are still relatively reasonable compared to other bay area cities. It has potentials, and changes are happening everyday.
I agree about the pricing and I think the way things are going Hayward can move up and outgrow it's reputation. I grew up in Hayward and made jokes it was the armpit of the Bay Area, but it wasn't so bad. I see downtown is so much nicer now and I've hung out there a few times.
Everyone is right about the weather, it's pretty unbeatable. It's also got a great location too.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:01 PM

173 posts, read 170,706 times
Quote:
Yeah, I left Oakland

I did move within 15-20 mins from where I used to live, but after spending the last ~7 years singing the praises of the city and actively encouraging plenty of people to move, I'm going to keep my mouth shut about where I specifically live now
White Walnut Creek

Old 09-07-2017, 08:14 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Yeah, I left Oakland

Of course we should respect each others privacy! I hope you can find your niche in the new hood.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:43 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post

Hayward just has horrible schools, which will only attract low income families.
Define "low income". I'd say to be able to buy into Hayward today you really can't be low income.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaPallasAthena View Post
White Walnut Creek
Not even close, but thanks for trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland