Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 09:53 AM

351 posts, read 342,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Thank you for the replies so far! In order to clarify a few things, I'll answer to a few points that have been brought up:

-I wouldn't mind renting a room while living in SF; in fact, that's what I'm currently doing while I attend college here in Philadelphia. I'm a guy who gets along with others pretty well, so I wouldn't have a problem living in a communal space. The people living in this theoretical apartment could even show me the ropes of SF life and introduce me to people around the Bay Area!

-Since I said that I was okay with renting a room, which neighborhoods should I be looking at? I wouldn't mind living in the Tenderloin (if that's all I can afford), as I've lived in West and North Philly.

-For dating, I may just take BART up to Berkeley and spend some time there. I would still be 22 upon theoretically arriving in SF, so I would probably hang out at UC Berkeley's bars. I'll take this to the Relationships forum if its too off-topic, but do any of you think that women on the West Coast differ significantly from the women I encounter here in Philly?

I have 14 days to make a decision as to whether I'm going with Chicago or San Francisco as my second choice (Philly is still my first). I'm really liking what SF has to offer, as well as the adventure that would be moving across the country; however, Chicago is still a strong contender, especially for its affordability and more robust public transportation system.

Prepare for a crowd of 4's who think they're 9's. That's why it's called 49ers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 11:01 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
I would look for neighborhoods around where your job is, or on the same side of town, at least, so you won't have too long a commute on transit. Some of the public transit lines are an absolute crush during commute hours, btw.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:11 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Default thoughts for prospective newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I would look for neighborhoods around where your job is, or on the same side of town, at least, so you won't have too long a commute on transit. Some of the public transit lines are an absolute crush during commute hours, btw.
That's right... evening-rush-hour BART trains can be so crowded that people can barely board them at the last couple of eastbound stops in SF (Montgomery Street and Embarcadero). However, if you're going to be a federal employee, your office will probably be close to the Civic Center station. So if you're living in the East Bay, you'll still be able to board your train before it becomes a sardine can.

I have a studio apartment in SF; thanks to rent control I pay $1330 for it. But the building manager tells me that the rent for new tenants is $4,000. If that's typical, then obviously you'll need to hunt for some kind of favorable share situation in SF, or live elsewhere and commute. You might want to apartment-hunt in unfashionable (but transit-accessible) places like Hayward. Your agency will probably offer a transit subsidy
that'll cover most of your commute cost.

Good luck!

Warning: if you do live on the West Coast for awhile, you might never want to go back to the East Coast, Midwest, or any part of the country where several months of each year go to waste (i.e. winter).

Old 09-22-2017, 01:34 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,141 times
$68K is doable for someone with a reasonable amount of debt, no children, etc...But renting a room will be necessary (unless you move to the East Bay suburbs) in order to have an "outgoing" lifestyle while directly in the city of SF itself.

BART sucks. It's crowded, outdated, loud, and overall just isn't nice. That being said, it does provide easy/cheap transportation. I only use it when going to SFO (Parking is stupid expensive).

Good luck

Old 09-22-2017, 02:44 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
That's right... evening-rush-hour BART trains can be so crowded that people can barely board them at the last couple of eastbound stops in SF (Montgomery Street and Embarcadero). However, if you're going to be a federal employee, your office will probably be close to the Civic Center station. So if you're living in the East Bay, you'll still be able to board your train before it becomes a sardine can.

I have a studio apartment in SF; thanks to rent control I pay $1330 for it. But the building manager tells me that the rent for new tenants is $4,000. If that's typical, then obviously you'll need to hunt for some kind of favorable share situation in SF, or live elsewhere and commute. You might want to apartment-hunt in unfashionable (but transit-accessible) places like Hayward. Your agency will probably offer a transit subsidy
that'll cover most of your commute cost.

Good luck!

Warning: if you do live on the West Coast for awhile, you might never want to go back to the East Coast, Midwest, or any part of the country where several months of each year go to waste (i.e. winter).
Well, actually, I was referring to MUNI at rush hour. But the same applies to BART, though I think the OP is hoping to settle in SF, somewhere. BART would only be relevant if he'll be living in the Mission, and commuting to Civic Center or downtown.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:06 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Chicago is a better place to live these days. Yeah, the weather is horrible, but it's still a fun and exciting place to live that's actually affordable.

I would strongly suggest visiting SF first and experiencing how expensive/crowded/dirty/stressful it can be at times. It's a great city in a lot of ways, but it's not worth it unless you basically doubled your salary. I used to recommend Oakland all the time, but I stopped doing that once it became insanely expensive a few years ago.

Stick with Chicago and take lots of trips during the winter with the extra money you'll be saving.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:11 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Chicago is a better place to live these days. Yeah, the weather is horrible, but it's still a fun and exciting place to live that's actually affordable.

I would strongly suggest visiting SF first and experiencing how expensive/crowded/dirty/stressful it can be at times. It's a great city in a lot of ways, but it's not worth it unless you basically doubled your salary. I used to recommend Oakland all the time, but I stopped doing that once it became insanely expensive a few years ago.

Stick with Chicago and take lots of trips during the winter with the extra money you'll be saving.
I have two friends in SF that want to move to Chicago as soon as they save a bit more money.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Chicago is better quality of life for you I would say! The Bay Area is just too expensive of newcomers making under $90k these days.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:26 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Hey, San Francisco forum!

I'm a senior in college who is beginning to apply to different positions to be held after I graduate in May. My dream position, a federal gig, has an opening in San Francisco. As it pertains to locations, my first choice is Philadelphia; however, I am allowed to select a second preference of location. Only two other cities on that list interest me: Chicago and San Francisco. Chicago interests me as an alternate choice due to its density, skyline, public transportation system, and similarities to Philly. On the other hand, San Francisco interests me due to its weather, natural beauty, and East Coast-style density. I'm choosing to post about San Francisco first due to the fact that I have more questions about what it would be like to live there, considering the fact that I'm an East Coast guy.

-Could I afford to live in the city on $68K/yr? That is what I would likely be starting off with before receiving a raise after my first year on the job. I would be willing to consider Oakland and Berkeley, but I don't want to live in a suburban area. I also have no problem living in rougher neighborhoods, as I grew up in West Philly and take leisurely late-night walks through North Philly.

-Are the things that I hear about the dating scene true? I have been hearing that the dating market is saturated with guys, and that finding a lady is hard in SF. I'm 6'2", have an average build (should be muscular by next year), and possess other attractive attributes.

-How are BART, MUNI, and the other transit agencies within the Bay Area? I'm thankful to have the coverage that SEPTA provides in Philly. Do any routes run 24/7?

-Is it safe to bike/skateboard in bike lanes and/or within the city? I do this without any problems or fear in Philly.

-Does the city have a good trail network? I'm big on running and getting my exercise in!

Thank you in advance for answering my questions, and I can't wait to visit your beautiful city soon!
No secret: SF & the Bay Area are expensive. But you're fresh out of college & willing to make some QoL sacrifices for overall lifestyle and career opportunities. You would be fine.

-I can't speak to the dating scene. But in a region of 8 million people, I'm sure it would be fine.

-Transit is decidedly mixed. Good enough, but with plenty of annoyances. Few routes are 24/7. Late at night you will find that ride-sharing is the best way to get around.

-Bike lanes will depend on your own comfort level. Lots of people commute by bike, but the roads are busy and bike lanes are rarely separated.

-The best trails in SF itself are at the Presidio, western GG Park, and San Bruno Mountain. The Bay Area as a whole is great for the outdoors & you would find ample hiking/trail running options w/in a 45 minute drive from SF. In addition to these trails, many parks have walking/jogging paths if you are fine with a flat run on blacktop.

Quote:
Thank you for the replies so far! In order to clarify a few things, I'll answer to a few points that have been brought up:

-I wouldn't mind renting a room while living in SF; in fact, that's what I'm currently doing while I attend college here in Philadelphia. I'm a guy who gets along with others pretty well, so I wouldn't have a problem living in a communal space. The people living in this theoretical apartment could even show me the ropes of SF life and introduce me to people around the Bay Area!

-Since I said that I was okay with renting a room, which neighborhoods should I be looking at? I wouldn't mind living in the Tenderloin (if that's all I can afford), as I've lived in West and North Philly.

-For dating, I may just take BART up to Berkeley and spend some time there. I would still be 22 upon theoretically arriving in SF, so I would probably hang out at UC Berkeley's bars. I'll take this to the Relationships forum if its too off-topic, but do any of you think that women on the West Coast differ significantly from the women I encounter here in Philly?

I have 14 days to make a decision as to whether I'm going with Chicago or San Francisco as my second choice (Philly is still my first). I'm really liking what SF has to offer, as well as the adventure that would be moving across the country; however, Chicago is still a strong contender, especially for its affordability and more robust public transportation system.
-Different people like different neighborhoods. The Mission has a very high concentration of bars & restaurants, so it might be your choice if you are looking for nightlife. The Richmond & Sunset have some of SF's best Asian restaurants, lots of fog, and (comparatively) lower costs. Dogpatch & Potrero Hill are sunny & quiet. The Marina has a more stereotypically ex-Greek vibe. The Tenderloin is sort of SF's Red Light District. Crocker-Amazon & Excelsior might be viable options for you, but they feel a little remote from the City itself. Oakland and Berkeley are much smaller than SF, but each has charming neighborhoods.

-People in Northern California are going to be different than people in Philadelphia. It's a different culture. That will be true of women and men.

-14 days is not long to decide, especially if you haven't been to either. I am not terribly familiar with Chicago, but I can let you know the Bay Area's advantages: great dining & bars, nice urban parks, phenomenal nature parks, comfortable weather year round, a diverse & educated populace, two of the world's top wine regions, career opportunities, fewer chain stores than most places, beautiful coastline (including some nice beaches). There's other stuff to like too, but that's what comes to mind.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:57 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times
OP, i can 2nd much of what the above posted stated. I will mention 2 parks that I personally enjoy walking the trails are Lands End (when it's sunny) & John McLaren Park ...both are accessible via Muni Bus.
If you have not already done so, I would suggest browsing the rental market in SF using Craigslist & perhaps Hotpads.
or similiar website..... so you can get some idea on what current rental market is like in SF and what might fit into your budget. As other respondents have posted, you are very likely going to have to rent a room to be able find something affordable at your starting salary. You never know, you might get lucky and find a small studio that you can afford.....key word in the preceding sentence is "lucky". For a newcomer to SF, your biggest challenge in my opinion is affordable housing...unless your income is $$$ Somebody who has been living in SF for fair number yrs in a apt covered by rent control will have rent far under current market rate. I will also point out that the geography of San Francisco results in micro climates. One a day you might feel comfortable outdoors in the Inner Mission Dist in a short sleeve shirt for example, in one of the western neighborhoods you might wish you had a sweater or light jacket on.

I am not going to comment on the Chicago option. I have been to that city only once and it was so long ago

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland