Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 01:37 PM

629 posts, read 619,522 times

Advertisements

I was in GGP walking around Stow Lake with my dog last week and saw at least one syringe/needle in the grass he was shoving his face into. Deny all you want, it's a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 01:40 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
I was in GGP walking around Stow Lake with my dog last week and saw at least one syringe/needle in the grass he was shoving his face into. Deny all you want, it's a problem.
Who denied it is a problem?

Old 07-18-2018, 02:11 PM

830 posts, read 486,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
AZ here

Hearing about this and figuring I should ask actually San Franciscans about it. I know the news like to make you think that it's a bigger issue than it is. Like how people thought Hawaii had lava everywhere when it was just a small area on one island LOL

So it must be big enough that the Mayor and other cities' news is picking up on it. Even if it's not the WHOLE city, is that bad where it is? And who is to say it won't spread?
It's hard to quantify how bad (or not bad) it is. It would be nice if I could just give you an accurate number to represent it, but there is really no such system.

I'd say compared to most other cities in the developed world, it is probably pretty eye-opening to most visitors. Feces, needles, and crazy, ranting homeless. I agree with Tulemutt's major point that is is inconveniently concentrated in the tourist hotel areas and near the convention centers. That and the combination of the sensationalized news coverage, may give some the impression that it is worse than it is. As a 20 year resident of the city, I've become a bit desensitized until I have a friend visit. They'll see a guy shooting up or reliving himself on the street and make a comment, and I'll realize that I don't even notice it anymore.

But answering questions about how bad it is, and in which areas of the city it is a problem is tough without a system to quantify these sorts of things.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:17 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Who denied it is a problem?
They keep insisting that everyone is in denial...so odd.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:54 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
SHE ADMITS IT! Maybe something will actually get done to clean up the city!

Old 07-18-2018, 08:09 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
They keep insisting that everyone is in denial...so odd.
Usually the comment is, "it's only visible or a problem in the touristy areas."

Well the touristy areas are all over the city, so there's that.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:19 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post

The other common comment is, it’s no different than any other major us city

Old 07-18-2018, 09:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Right. I live in San Jose, and there is a huge homeless problem here, too, and I've never seen human feces on the sidewalk anywhere. I've never seen human feces on sidewalks anywhere - except in San Francisco.

The last time I went to SF, I went on a senior bus trip to go see Beach Blanket Babylon, and I couldn't believe the piles of human feces left out on pieces of cardboard on the sidewalks or in the streets/gutters - all next to tents where people were camping on city streets.

It's an awful mess. And to try to downplay it because there are "only" piles of human feces or syringes in the tourist areas??????? is just insane.

Like putting your fingers in your ears and yelling lalalalalalala whenever the subject comes up.

Hello. Human feces. On sidewalks. Syringes. On sidewalks. And in parks. In San Francisco. In tourist areas. At least.

How can this not be appalling?

I'm not sure the mayor's approach to try to pressure homeless advocate groups to train their clients to behave better is going to do any good, though.

In a way, I'm glad this is making news. The homeless problem in America is an embarrassing travesty. I'm glad that an international destination is making global headlines about the problem. How do we explain how the supposed richest nation on earth has this problem?

Old 07-19-2018, 12:41 PM

629 posts, read 619,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post

Exactly. Downplaying it as if it's only happening in small areas is the point. Typical head in the sand behavior.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:48 PM

872 posts, read 999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I haven't been to many inner cities and the ones I have, I did not see anything that bad. I think if I had stayed or lived in a big city I'd see things. I know here in Phoenix we had/have a homeless issue but they have seemingly pushed it away from downtown to other areas.

From my visits to NYC, I don't recall anything like rats or waste etc. Not to say there isn't but I did not notice. Maybe I was younger and didn't care and wasn't observant

It may be magnified due to SF being such a small and condensed city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland