Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 12:34 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,362,554 times

Advertisements

Find a girl if you can, join a gym, stick it out for 9 lousy months. New body, new attitude, new bank account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 12:40 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
I would stick it out but be making detailed plans for my next move. Having that light at the end of the tunnel helps, in my opinion. I found very little reward from my work during my working years. It is a way to make money. Some rare folks really like what they do but if that was universal, it would be too easy to find people to do such jobs for little or nothing. That sounds like a nice bonus for that short period of time. I’d plan and then use that bonus to put your plan to work.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:32 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
It seems like a no brainer to me-stick it out. Honestly if you can't find things to keep you occupied in the Bay Area, then I don't know where you will.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:36 PM

308 posts, read 467,481 times
9 months is a blip. Suck it up and use your vacation to get away when possible. Don't be surprised though if a change of location isn't the cure all.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:48 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Nine months can feel like forever when you are someone that you don't particularly want to be; I was in a crappy state in an especially crappy city for a bit over 2 years before I moved here and I didn't enjoy it.

However, during those two years I was able to get rid of a lot of debt, save up for a move to where I WANTED to be (here), and made sure that the family and I took frequent weekend trips to get away from the area that none of us were keen on, lol. We focused on looking forward and on the positive aspects (few as they were) of the area we were living in and the two years went by fairly quickly.

I will say that once you do get to your ideal location you will definitely appreciate it more

If I had not waited I would have lost out on a lot of opportunity. Two years of my life I guess but it was a learning experience.

Now if your wait was much more than a year or so, I would not personally wait because to me my happiness is not worth any amount of money. I can see a year or maybe two but I can't understand people who put up with unhappy situations for years simply because of the money.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:54 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
I will add being debt free also helps you feel a lot more optimistic about your life too!

Old 01-19-2019, 04:44 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I will add being debt free also helps you feel a lot more optimistic about your life too!
Absolutely! Nothing like lifting that particular burden off your shoulders.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:48 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Hello Everyone,

Would like to get your opinion.

Moved to Bay Area four months ago for new job. Wasn't excited at all about moving to SF. Had visited off and on and really didn't like the place. Decided to suck it up and make the move a few months back. Plan was to do 1.5-2 years, save money and pay off debt.

Long story short, I'm living in an area of SF that I am not happy with to save $$ on rent. I don't have any family or friends here. Don't drink or smoke. Mainly spend my weekends at home or renting a zipcar and riding around different parts of the city. Every once in a while I'll check out a music show. Honestly feel very out of place here in SF.

The Pros
My current job is in tech (like almost everyone else). If I can make it 8 more months on the job, I am due a yearly bonus and stock that would equal around $90k before taxes. This payout after taxes would be enough to pay off my student loan debts and allow me to start fresh. The savings from my base would be enough to have a nice emergency fund as well.

The problem is, I literally get depressed every time I think about having to stay another 8 months in SF.

I've spent hours trying to think through as many strategies as I could to help me cope with the idea of staying here through the 1 year mark.

1. Move to Lake Merritt area
2. Find a woman to keep me company
3. Take a weekend trip out of the city every month

But I always come back to the same thoughts of wanting to get out of here.

I'm currently interviewing for a couple of gigs that would pay a comparable base salary and allow me to live in a more ideal city. However there would be no big bonus or stock payouts, which means it would take at least another 5 years to pay off loans.

Wondering what your thoughts are on my situation. Do you think the allure of big payout is worth sacrificing happiness to stay in SF?

Any direction is great.
It's only 9 more months. Stick it out. After that...then I would say if SF isn't any better for you, get out of there.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:56 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
My advice is stay, stick it out, pay off your debts/student loans and then to be debt free will feel amazing. Look at it as a goal of yours, discipline yourself and stick with it--9 months FLIES by. By the time October of this year rolls around, you'll be debt free and then you can get the h*ll out.

But, while there, enjoy your time! Take a cheap road trip to explore every other weekend--or every weekend if budget allows! Pick a new area in the Bay and go see it! Try new foods, go on hikes, join a group that does things you've never done. You'll meet people, network, and possibly make new friends along the way. Who knows, you might meet the so called "love of your life!"

I would stick it out for sure. You'll be amazed at how fast time will go, plus once you are done and debt free, you'll be proud of yourself. Start researching now where you want to be by fall of 2019, and make a goal to move there when your debt is paid.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:02 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
It really is a tough decision, one only you can make, and you'll never know for sure whether or not it was the best decision. I've been there.

In 1970 I originally turned down a job in the city where I now live because I didn't like the town and didn't feel confident in the job offered (manager). Six months later I got a call that they'd double the offer, which meant about 3 times what I was earning at the time. Talked it over with my wife and made the move. To make a decade-long story short, we ended up making millions before I finally sold out 10 years later. Lots of things can complicate short-term plans; even more can complicate long-term plans. It's now nearly 50 years later and I never did do what I wanted. Every time I thought I was back on track, something would happen.

Point is, 8-9 months is not a long time and probably I'd recommend you stay that long and get your loans paid off, etc. But don't let it last longer than that. DO NOT "find a woman to keep you company." You might let that get complicated and change all your plans. Be careful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland