Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 03:34 PM

317 posts, read 307,675 times

Advertisements

Yep assimilate, that's why in America we have to "Push 1 for English" to be routed to an offshore call center where a lot of times the agent's English is very poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 04:16 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,636 times
I can't speak for all immigrants, but as an Indian-American who has extended family who came here on OPT/H1B, I can tell that many of them think "you Americans" are stupid. This was a common sentiment I have encountered not only from older uncles, but also from H1B's when I work at a tech services company. Unfortunately, many foreigners think you Americans and American culture is stupid...and they have no interest in assimilating

Old 02-26-2019, 05:44 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,275,007 times
I think it's kinda funny the OP was so offended by an apparent slight on her Western mannerisms that she created an entire thread about it to help "educate" them, as opposed to, um, just telling them how she felt to their faces and being done with it. Also, I'm not really sure what tech workers have to do with how people eat oranges, but I guess you think of tech workers and newly arrived immigrants the same way: they're a hostile threat to you and you care a great deal of how they perceive you.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:07 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Some groups just don't do a good job when it comes to cultural assimilation. There's been plenty of research done on this and the groups that do worst are Indians and Chinese immigrants.
https://www.manhattan-institute.org/...rica-5858.html
But one must take a conservative "think tank", "research", with a grain of salt.

Keep in mind that it generally only takes ONE generation (say the children of the immigrants that didn't learn to speak English, for example) to behave like Americans (whatever that really means)!

IMO, I don't think Americans are the model of politeness, culture, or even well educated on the English language to begin with. American "culture" is really not very definable to me because if you say it's XYZ that defines assimilation, then one can point to any immigrant family OR American family that isn't that much different in attitudes or behaviors.

What's common culturally in say, rural Georgia among any random white family might be totally unusual for any random white, family from California.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:22 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
But one must take a conservative "think tank", "research", with a grain of salt.

A real business conservative or libertarian think tank would push for open borders.
Have you listened to the Koch Bros or Cato Institute recently.
Have you listened to the Heritage Institute recently

Also, the ERI and other liberal think tanks have advocated similar viewpoints as excessive mass immigration hurts white working class workers. This was something Bernie talked about significantly during the past election

Old 02-26-2019, 07:03 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,986,281 times
Quote:
A real business conservative or libertarian think tank would push for open borders.
Have you listened to the Koch Bros or Cato Institute recently.
Have you listened to the Heritage Institute recently

Also, the ERI and other liberal think tanks have advocated similar viewpoints as excessive mass immigration hurts white working class workers. This was something Bernie talked about significantly during the past election
No. I'm not going to get into deflection or major political discussion away from the topic at hand--which I'm going to release myself from now, thanks.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:31 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,920 times
I eat oranges either way. It depends on the situation, but I find either option messy for different reasons. It's not like you were talking with your mouth full of food, right? Sounds like they were being petty for the sake of it, which is rude in general and probably not reflective of immigration status as much as perceived social status. I work in Marin County, and if I were to believe many of the people there, I would suspect my Richmond neighbors were cavemen who were lucky to be graced with proximity to Marin County. And that's a difference of 10 miles, let alone an ocean or two. Not to get too political, but this is why HRC's "deplorables" comment was such a detriment to her candidacy.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:16 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,981 times
Quote:
I can't speak for all immigrants, but as an Indian-American who has extended family who came here on OPT/H1B, I can tell that many of them think "you Americans" are stupid. This was a common sentiment I have encountered not only from older uncles, but also from H1B's when I work at a tech services company. Unfortunately, many foreigners think you Americans and American culture is stupid...and they have no interest in assimilating
Then why are they in our country, benefitting from our "stupid" economy. I think they should assimilate or go back home. Why move to a new country and continue living exactly as you had before?

Old 02-26-2019, 09:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
[quote=tonym9428;54542020]I can't speak for all immigrants, but as an Indian-American who has extended family who came here on OPT/H1B, I can tell that many of them think "you Americans" are stupid. This was a common sentiment I have encountered not only from older uncles, but also from H1B's when I work at a tech services company. Unfortunately, many foreigners think you Americans and American culture is stupid...and they have no interest in assimilating[/QUOTE

Thanks for your honesty.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:00 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I think it's kinda funny the OP was so offended by an apparent slight on her Western mannerisms that she created an entire thread about it to help "educate" them, as opposed to, um, just telling them how she felt to their faces and being done with it. Also, I'm not really sure what tech workers have to do with how people eat oranges, but I guess you think of tech workers and newly arrived immigrants the same way: they're a hostile threat to you and you care a great deal of how they perceive you.
Hmm, a tad hostile are we? The people I was referring to are wives of tech workers who are here on immigrant visas, which is why I was referring to them - which I explained in my OP. So, not sure why that's confusing to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland