Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 08:17 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's a 40-minute commute on the train, OP, from Pleasanton. There are monthly passes, I don't know the price.
What train are we talking about that goes from Pleasanton to Santa Clara?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 08:21 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
After being a homeowner, it is very stressful to go back to renting, especially with 3 kids.
There is nothing "stressful" about renting a really nice house and having enough money to be able to do that. There are tons of nice rentals - it would never be a problem - stress free and worry free - and quality of life.

Instead, the OP wants her poor husband to work full time in a high pressure job, then sit in horrible traffic for hours on end.

Quality of life "should" be the goal. They could buy a vacation property or invest in real estate elsewhere if they HAVE TO do it right this moment (or even keep their condo and rent it out).

Old 05-07-2019, 08:28 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
1. We don't know her husband's current salary. So everyone who said $250k + bonus wasn't enough to live here were wild in their assumptions.
People were saying it is not enough to buy a decent house for a family of five with a reasonable commute. Try to find a nice house in a respectable school district for under 900k, not a 1,200 sq. ft. dollhouse!

Old 05-07-2019, 08:43 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
People were saying it is not enough to buy a decent house for a family of five with a reasonable commute. Try to find a nice house in a respectable school district for under 900k, not a 1,200 sq. ft. dollhouse!
this is true. I was going to mention this but I didn't want to hear ridiculous arguments about how great it is for a family to live in that size home. It's just tiring.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:21 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
What train are we talking about that goes from Pleasanton to Santa Clara?
I'm sure Ruth is referring to the ACE train (Altamont Corridor Express):

Pleasanton - ACE | Altamont Corridor Express

Old 05-07-2019, 10:26 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2019, 11:48 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
There is nothing "stressful" about renting a really nice house and having enough money to be able to do that. There are tons of nice rentals - it would never be a problem - stress free and worry free - and quality of life.
It sounds like you are not familiar with the competitive Silicon Valley area real estate market. In most normal places renting a nice house is not a problem. In Silicon Valley any decent house will have multiple applicants. There are also a lot of junky overpriced rentals and a lot of scams on Craigslist. They might have to look at a dozen houses to find a good one. Not easy for an out of state person.

Then once one rents a house they might be forced to move by a landlord who is selling, getting divorced or having family move into the rental unit. This is why I recommended a professionally managed apartment as a temporary solution when they first arrive in my initial post.

Quote:
Instead, the OP wants her poor husband to work full time in a high pressure job, then sit in horrible traffic for hours on end.
I agree that a 30 mile commute from Pleasanton might be a bad decision. They may not understand Bay area traffic. There are very few alternate routes.

Quote:
They could buy a vacation property or invest in real estate elsewhere if they HAVE TO do it right this moment (or even keep their condo and rent it out).
That is a good idea!

Old 05-08-2019, 12:42 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
OP, since you are already used to living in a condo with your family, and that's all you could afford in Pleasanton, and that area, you might be perfectly happy there. Especially, if your family likes living in a hustle and bustle environment - not exactly "city" but sprawling suburbia with the benefit of being close to the major cities and all they offer.

If you guys could afford it, and it sounds like you can (by the way, I agree you can live fine on your husband's salary here), your hubby might want to consider just hiring taxis or Uber to get him from A to B, so he could work while commuting. Even if he took a train or public transportation for part of his commute, using taxis or Ubers for the rest of the commute would make it less painful.

I know for sure you'll love the weather, wherever you move in this area. I doubt you'll miss the humidity in DC. You probably will miss the fireflies, though. When I lived in TN I found them to be so magical, but I admit I prefer the dry climate they don't. Anyway...Welcome.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:17 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

Yes, I linked it in two of my earlier posts.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-08-2019 at 08:43 AM..

Old 05-08-2019, 08:20 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:

Quality of life "should" be the goal. They could buy a vacation property or invest in real estate elsewhere if they HAVE TO do it right this moment (or even keep their condo and rent it out).
She does? I didn't see her say that. Not sure why people are discussing car commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland