Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2023, 04:45 AM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times

Advertisements

True, or hyperbole, the word is out. "Don't bother with the whole bay area, as it's UNSAFE."

And the links like above, do nothing but buttress that viewpoint.

I'm 500 miles South of the bay area, and have ZERO incentive to ever visit again. And I'm not alone in this viewpoint, either.

Will I miss it? Yes.....and no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2023, 04:53 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
True, or hyperbole, the word is out. "Don't bother with the whole bay area, as it's UNSAFE."

And the links like above, do nothing but buttress that viewpoint.

I'm 500 miles South of the bay area, and have ZERO incentive to ever visit again. And I'm not alone in this viewpoint, either.

Will I miss it? Yes.....and no.
Agreed and it's just too crowded and getting worse.

Old 08-22-2023, 12:35 PM

998 posts, read 538,061 times
It's staggering how much has changed in S.F. since I first arrived in the early 80's. Back then it was only dangerous in some parts of the Tenderloin, the Mission and along 6th Street. There was no one sleeping in doorways or sidewalks, and the drug scene was really not that bad. Then crack arrived, and o boy, things began to feel more like Oakland after a while.

But today? Wow, it's really, totally out of control. We never had flash mob shoplifting, car jacking or any of that even 10 years ago. At some point you have to enforce the drug laws or this is what happens. And yes you can do do it. The cost of having shelter beds for everyone who needs it is nothing compared to the costs incurred the way things are today. And put the shelters way out of downtown. The cost of arresting and jailing people for drug dealing and public drug use is small compared to the lost tourist money and lost tax revenues from businesses and residents who have fled the city.

When I first came to the city I was shocked by how incompetent many of the public officials were. One far left group was always feuding w/ another far left group. Nothing has changed, but it's gone WAY downhill from there. City government is corrupt and incompetent, and again, what you see happening is what you get. Cause and effect. It's not a mystery or rocket science, and no it isn't happening everywhere. People lie and try to normalize the drugs, crime and homelessness, but trust me, there are plenty of places that are much, much safer and have a higher quality of life.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:54 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
It's staggering how much has changed in S.F. since I first arrived in the early 80's. Back then it was only dangerous in some parts of the Tenderloin, the Mission and along 6th Street. There was no one sleeping in doorways or sidewalks, and the drug scene was really not that bad. Then crack arrived, and o boy, things began to feel more like Oakland after a while.

But today? Wow, it's really, totally out of control. We never had flash mob shoplifting, car jacking or any of that even 10 years ago. At some point you have to enforce the drug laws or this is what happens. And yes you can do do it. The cost of having shelter beds for everyone who needs it is nothing compared to the costs incurred the way things are today. And put the shelters way out of downtown. The cost of arresting and jailing people for drug dealing and public drug use is small compared to the lost tourist money and lost tax revenues from businesses and residents who have fled the city.

When I first came to the city I was shocked by how incompetent many of the public officials were. One far left group was always feuding w/ another far left group. Nothing has changed, but it's gone WAY downhill from there. City government is corrupt and incompetent, and again, what you see happening is what you get. Cause and effect. It's not a mystery or rocket science, and no it isn't happening everywhere. People lie and try to normalize the drugs, crime and homelessness, but trust me, there are plenty of places that are much, much safer and have a higher quality of life.
Why [trust you]?

This reads like a Chat GPT rant.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:58 AM

325 posts, read 442,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Consider-for-a-moment that most people have no desire to waste their lives in addictions.

Consider-for-a-moment That where drugs have been decriminalized, drug addictions and deaths plummet.

Have you ever actually ever been to SF? Or Philly? Or Portland? Talk about babbling on the internet!

Old 08-24-2023, 08:00 AM

325 posts, read 442,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well, you certainly touched all the myth buttons! Congratulations!
Here is an idea. Simply study the rep to post ratios of the people who agree with you and the people who disagree with you. It is pretty telling

Old 08-24-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMachineshop View Post
Here is an idea. Simply study the rep to post ratios of the people who agree with you and the people who disagree with you. It is pretty telling
Yeah. Except ‘people agreeing with someone’ doesn’t begin, in any way, to validate truth, wisdom, or viability of opinions. I offer 10’s of millions of Americans supporting Donald J Trump as a prime example.

Have a nice day. Hope you get lots of ‘reps’ for your illogical post.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMachineshop View Post
Have you ever actually ever been to SF? Or Philly? Or Portland? Talk about babbling on the internet!
Why yes, I have. All of them. In fact I lived in SF for many years in a district frequented by many homeless, and moved a few years ago down to a neighborhood in San Diego (which city has more homeless than SF) that ranks as the 2nd most populated by homeless. As well, as a retired career military veteran myself, I have worked in a volunteer role for over 30 years assisting homeless veterans find health, housing, and disability benefits.

You?

Old 08-25-2023, 08:39 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
All you can hope is that having had such an experiences, she has the intelligence and awareness to change her voting habits, which install the politicians who are the cause of this.

Shopper treatened by homeless when just passing him on the street.

https://twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/...95650488414208
The problem is there is no correlation between political party and crime - look at what Brooke promised San Francisco if only they would dump that awful leftie Boudin, and look at what they got - talk about irony. This is a photo of Brooke and her new 'tough on crime crew' bragging while a tourist's car was broken into a few feet away, and AFAIK the only thing she accomplished was taking 8 cops off the beat who would stand around her for a photo op when they just might have been able to arrest someone.

https://sfist.com/2023/08/24/tourist...s-sfpd-nearby/

Old 08-25-2023, 08:44 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
BINGO.

Brutally expensive, but probably would not cost more than we are currently spending for homeless services, plus costs of street crime, plus the criminal justice system, plus medical treatment combined.

Even if it did cost more, we would have less drug addicts and more functioning people. There is a moral plus to that. Also we would have cleaner and safer streets. There is a moral and economic plus to that.

It is painfully obvious that the government WANTS increasing homelessness by their inactions, and their stupid actions.
How do you get people off drugs by force? That's an amazing feat I wish one of you could explain how that works...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland