Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 05:16 PM

227 posts, read 538,677 times

Advertisements

Given the statements that the San Mateo job has flexible hours and the Walnut Creek job does not, I'd definitely lean toward living in the East Bay. Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, Lamorinda (Lafeyette, Morgaga, Orinda) all work for your commute, and make the San Mateo commute painful during peak, and less painful but still long off-peak. Moving more south toward Oakland, San Leandro, Castro Valley, Hawyard would be more equitable between Walnut Creek and San Mateo. I worked in Oakland and commuted to Redwood Shores--I had flexible hours too, and it was doable if I went into the office around 10:15 and left the office around 7:30 pm (but I hate traffic, so I waited longer than I could have) and it was fine, especially if you don't have kids/hard deadlines for arriving home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 10:36 PM

538 posts, read 1,192,104 times
I second the suggestion of living in the city. I would look around Sunnyside neighborhood and North and West of there (also possibly Glen Park). It's not far from the Glen Park/Balboa Park BART to commute to Walnut Creek and a reasonable hop onto 280 to go to Peninsula.
It would not be as good of a choice for commuting to San Mateo, but I'm surprised nobody mentioned Alameda.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:42 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,282,608 times
Castro Valley is a semi-decent compromise. It's got the same weather/proximity to SF/SV as Hayward, without the problems that make Hayward less appealing (crime, bad schools, run down areas, etc). Hayward isn't THAT bad, but it's kinda like Concord in the sense that there are better surrounding cities close by.

I would NOT live in the City, personally. If you want urban/dense/vibrant many parts of Oakland fit the bill, but at a lower cost and better weather.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:46 AM

227 posts, read 538,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peninsular View Post
I second the suggestion of living in the city. I would look around Sunnyside neighborhood and North and West of there (also possibly Glen Park). It's not far from the Glen Park/Balboa Park BART to commute to Walnut Creek and a reasonable hop onto 280 to go to Peninsula.
It would not be as good of a choice for commuting to San Mateo, but I'm surprised nobody mentioned Alameda.
I didn't mention Alameda because there's no BART service, and that would be a key consideration for me to commute to Walnut Creek. My coworker commutes from Walnut Creek/Lafayette BART to Oakland, and on BART she arrives at work sooner than I do driving in peak from Central East Oakland to Downtown Oakland. Relying on AC Transit to BART or driving as the only options would be a bit of a bummer.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:07 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,500,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peninsular View Post
Getting out of Alameda during rush hour can be tough if you're headed to Walnut Creek. There's the back way out if you're headed south, which is good for getting to San Mateo, but there's no avoiding the Posey Tube or 880 on the way to WC.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:02 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,929,087 times
Uptown Oakland/Lake Merritt

Old 03-21-2020, 06:12 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Uptown Oakland/Lake Merritt
Nah. Rockridge/Elmwood. Also, parts of north Berkeley. I mean, as a general question, not necessarily for the OP's needs, though Rockridge could work, actually.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:48 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,282,608 times
I know a lot of people adore Rockridge/Elmwood, but it's not for everyone. Not a lot of great nightlife options and it skews a bit older/sleepier. I reread the OP and if they want urban/walkable/active nightlife they would be much better off closer to the lake and downtown/uptown areas. Piedmont Ave/Temescal may be closer to what they are looking for, also.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:21 PM

53 posts, read 215,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I know a lot of people adore Rockridge/Elmwood, but it's not for everyone. Not a lot of great nightlife options and it skews a bit older/sleepier. I reread the OP and if they want urban/walkable/active nightlife they would be much better off closer to the lake and downtown/uptown areas. Piedmont Ave/Temescal may be closer to what they are looking for, also.
We don't need nightlife. We have been there done that! We are 59/60 year old's. Right now we are more into having good non-chain restaurants within close driving distance and shopping. I am starting to look for places in the areas in Oakland you all suggested as well as Contra Costa just to see the differences. I noticed a condo I liked in Moraga. But, am wondering is that too rural? It seems at this time the pickings are pretty slim and realtors or home owners putting off showings due to shelter in place.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:39 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
True. I was thinking the BART commute would be easiest from there, for the OP, but they could still use Rockridge BART from those other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlocked60;
We don't need nightlife. We have been there done that! We are 59/60 year old's. Right now we are more into having good non-chain restaurants within close driving distance and shopping. I am starting to look for places in the areas in Oakland you all suggested as well as Contra Costa just to see the differences. I noticed a condo I liked in Moraga. But, am wondering is that too rural? It seems at this time the pickings are pretty slim and realtors or home owners putting off showings due to shelter in place.
Winter is always the slowest RE season, with the fewest listings. Spring can be slow to gear up, too. Hard to predict how the shelter-in-place policy will affect the availability of inventory. April may see more listings; we can only wait and see.

College Avenue, which stretches from the University of California through the Elmwood neighborhood (south Berkeley) into Rockridge to Broadway (north Oakland) is characterized by locally-owned shops of all sorts; bookstores, grocers and grocery specialty-shops, artisanal clothing, restaurants, a hardware store, etc. Berkeley has commercial rent control on that street, which is why it's the way it is, though there are a couple of chain supermarkets in the area, too. Oakland seems to do the same for its leg of the street, judging by the type of shops. There are other neighborhoods in Oakland that have locally-owned shops and restaurants too; Piedmont Avenue, is one popular street/area.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-22-2020 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland