Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 07:17 PM

53 posts, read 215,294 times

Advertisements

I just got a new job in Walnut Creek and my husband works in San Mateo. We currently live in San Jose (recent transplants from the midwest) and want to move to the East Bay. Where in the East Bay would you suggest we live so that we both don't have crazy commutes? My husband has flexibility as to the time he can be in the office and can work from home a couple of days of week. I on the other hand don't. I want to live in an area where there are a lot of shops and restaurants (A Traders Joe's is at the top of my list! ). We have a dog, so we want to rent a 3 bed house and would like to keep rent under $4500. Schools aren't important, but crime is! Where would you suggest we move?

Last edited by landlocked60; 03-14-2020 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 07:43 PM

10,360 posts, read 8,599,599 times
I think your husband will have a long commute unless he can really move his times. If he can why not live in Walnut Creek?
I would look at Lafayette and down the valley to Danville. Pleasanton is nice but gives you a longer commute.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:37 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,504,415 times
A friend of mine works in San Mateo. He commuted from Piedmont when he started, but it was so awful that he moved to SM after 3 months. The bad news for you is that Oakland (Rockridge, Temescal, Piedmont Avenue, Broadway Terrace, Montclair, etc.) and Piedmont are about the best you can hope for. You would have a reverse commute every day, but your husband will suffer. Be sure his employer is okay with him not coming in before 10 AM.

I would resist the temptation to move to the Dublin/Pleasanton area, as your commute would be bad and his commute would be just as miserable as the Oakland option. At least with Oakland there might be some public transit options to consider. The only way your husband will end up with an easy commute is if you move to the Peninsula.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:50 PM

102,250 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
A friend of mine works in San Mateo. He commuted from Piedmont when he started, but it was so awful that he moved to SM after 3 months. The bad news for you is that Oakland (Rockridge, Temescal, Piedmont Avenue, Broadway Terrace, Montclair, etc.) and Piedmont are about the best you can hope for. You would have a reverse commute every day, but your husband will suffer. Be sure his employer is okay with him not coming in before 10 AM.

I would resist the temptation to move to the Dublin/Pleasanton area, as your commute would be bad and his commute would be just as miserable as the Oakland option. At least with Oakland there might be some public transit options to consider. The only way your husband will end up with an easy commute is if you move to the Peninsula.
10 a.m. to 6 p.m. or 6:30 wouldn't be a bad schedule.

But your options depend on what you'd be willing to put up with, too, OP. For example, you could live in Fremont (it has a TJ's and while not a hotbed of restaurants, like some Oakland neighborhoods, it holds its own), which would be an easier commute for your husband, and you could take BART to Walnut Creek. Where is your job from the WC BART station? I agree with this poster, too, that the Danville/Dublin/Pleasanton area isn't a good idea.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:18 PM

My job is right on Treet Blvd. right across the street from the Bart Station. So, I am not opposed to taking Bart to work.

My husband does have a lot of flexibility with the time he gets into the office. Right now, his commute can take up to 2 hours if he leaves SJ at peak commute times so he will leave around 10:00 - 11:00 AM and then leave the office at about 7:00 pm. to avoid the crazy traffic. He is more than willing to do that again. I just want to make sure we take both commutes into consideration with this move. When we initially moved here we had no idea about how bad the traffic would be going to San Mateo (I work from home). So, we don't want to make that mistake again.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:41 AM

106 posts, read 236,443 times
With such big difference between your respective work locations, it is going to be hard to find a place with a "good" commute.

I think Oakland hills areas is probably a reasonable option that allows both of you to drive. I am not familiar with the commute from Dublin/Pleasanton to Walnut Creek, but agree that that commute from those places to San Mateo would be pretty bad. Castro Valley might be another option, which would shorten your husbands commute a bit but allow for a BART commute for you (~1 hour each way).

Have you thought about living in San Francisco? It seems the most central. It would obviously have all the shops and restaurants, and if you lived in the right place both of you could have ~45 minute commutes via transit. A 3 bedroom with space for a dog wouldn't be available for 4500 though.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
I agree with Castro Valley, we lived there 15 years, and still know people there commuting to Silicone Valley. Stay up above the freeway, better yet in the hills. There is a Trader Joe's that you would pass on the way home every day on Redwood Rd. Not too bad to commute via Hayward and the San Mateo Bridge.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:47 PM

10,360 posts, read 8,599,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
10 a.m. to 6 p.m. or 6:30 wouldn't be a bad schedule.

But your options depend on what you'd be willing to put up with, too, OP. For example, you could live in Fremont (it has a TJ's and while not a hotbed of restaurants, like some Oakland neighborhoods, it holds its own), which would be an easier commute for your husband, and you could take BART to Walnut Creek. Where is your job from the WC BART station? I agree with this poster, too, that the Danville/Dublin/Pleasanton area isn't a good idea.
I'd take the Danville/Dublin/Pleasanton over Fremont. Horrible for the wife and not that great for the husband , may as well be farther north.Be different if he was in Mtn view or Palo Alto.
Castro Valley does seem workable. Has TJ but limited shopping. Many just drive over the hill to Pleasanton for more shopping.

Old 03-15-2020, 01:44 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,250,986 times
Agreed on San Francisco. You could take BART and your husband could take Caltrain. Not sure why you need a 3 bd house if it's just you two and a dog. Another option could be San Leandro/Hayward area and you'd take BART with a line transfer and your husband would drive. I feel like anything north of that would suck for your husband.

Old 03-15-2020, 01:58 PM

@likealady we need a 3 bedroom house because we have 2 sons in college and want a house big enough for them to come home to, and we want a home office as well. We want a back yard for the dog, since she is used to being able to go in and out as she pleases. :-)

You all have given me some great ideas! I know Oakland has good areas and bad areas. Where in Oakland would you recommend we look?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland