Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times

Advertisements

Frisco is in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 06:02 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
As a life-long SF resident, I'll tell you "frisco" is fine, especially among younger people, the hip-hop crowd, and poorer people. In my experience it's older people and transplants who are adamant about this "don't call it frisco" thing. Most people don't really care, and a lot of people do use it. It really doesn't matter. The only name I don't like personally is San Fran.

A list of nicknames I know:

the city
frisco
san fran
the sco
sucker free city/ the sucker free
the SFC (stands for sucker free city)
baghdad by the bay
fog city/fog town
the 415
SF

The one's I've heard locals actually use seriously:

the city (by far and away the most universally and frequently used nickname)
frisco
the sco
SF

Old 05-06-2008, 07:55 PM
rah

Oops, forgot one of the better nicknames: San Franpsycho

Old 05-06-2008, 08:34 PM

323 posts, read 1,426,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
The only name I don't like personally is San Fran.
What's wrong with san fran? I like it way more than frisco or the city. The City may mean New York if you are in the New York metro, Chicago in Chigacoland, San Fran in Bay Area and so on ...

San Fran is more endearing if you know what I mean! Each one to his own!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:12 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't get it either, people in SF can be so provincial sometimes. The vast majority will tell you never to call it "Frisco" or "San Fran" but no one will actually ever no why or have any reason for it. It's just a "no no" and that couldn't be a more stupid reason, and it's not even a reason really. As long as you aren't trying to disrespect the city then call it whatever you want, people can just be really full of themselves with their anti "Frisco/San Fran" BS.
How is that being full of ourselves? I gave an honest answer - I don't know why that's a "no-no" but it historically is. Doesn't mean I personally care, and you're welcome to call it whatever you want... I just know that when I moved here (at age 7), people told me that only tourists call it Frisco. Okay, whatever! Sounds kind of lame to me anyway, and I simply call it "the city" - and "SF" when I'm typing.

Oh, but one thing that WILL seriously annoy me? Spelling it San Fransisco.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-06-2008 at 09:27 PM..

Old 05-06-2008, 09:21 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
The librarian decided to do some research... Don’t Call It Frisco

According to the article, it started because of a Herb Caen book entitled "Don't Call it Frisco" in 1953, where he said the following...
“Not Frisco but San Francisco,” Caen prescribed. “Caress each Spanish syllable, salute our Italian Saint. Don’t say Frisco and don’t say San-Fran-Cis-Co. That’s the way Easterners, like Larry King pronounce it. It’s more like SanfrnSISco.”

Funny, they actually refer to him as an elitist in the article - so you got that part right, LOL.

And for those who want it to make a comeback: Frisco, that once-verboten term for the city by the bay, is making a comeback among the young and hip. Herb Caen is spinning at warp speed. (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/10/14/DD67721.DTL - broken link)

Old 05-06-2008, 09:22 PM
rah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevcy
What's wrong with san fran? I like it way more than frisco or the city. The City may mean New York if you are in the New York metro, Chicago in Chigacoland, San Fran in Bay Area and so on ...

San Fran is more endearing if you know what I mean! Each one to his own!
I just find San Fran...annoying, I can't really say what it is. Endearing?? hehehe

Old 05-06-2008, 09:32 PM

323 posts, read 1,426,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
The librarian decided to do some research... Don’t Call It Frisco

And for those who want it to make a comeback: Frisco, that once-verboten term for the city by the bay, is making a comeback among the young and hip. Herb Caen is spinning at warp speed. (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/10/14/DD67721.DTL - broken link)

thanks to the librarian who did this research.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:35 PM

72 posts, read 192,363 times
Default Baghdad by the Sea

I've never heard of anyone objecting to that name. I love the City By The Bay.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:38 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I just find San Fran...annoying, I can't really say what it is. Endearing?? hehehe
You know what else is annoying? I live in South City, and as you may realize, the name of our town is obnoxiously long. So a lot of service providers will shorten it to SO SAN FRAN when they mail things out here. Aagh!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland