Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:47 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not unlike the chip some have on their shoulders about such an unimportant topic.
Call it whatever you want but I just don't get why some people are so turned off by that term and that is what I am trying to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
They cant handle the truth.

LOL.
you could say the same thing about people being so against the term Frisco, it's pretentious and people don't want to admit it.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:04 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevcy View Post
What's wrong with san fran? I like it way more than frisco or the city. The City may mean New York if you are in the New York metro, Chicago in Chigacoland, San Fran in Bay Area and so on ...
I have to disagree, Ive travelled a lot on business/leisure/family events and in my experience, Manhattan and SF are the only 2 places in America so universally identified by locals and people in their metro areas as "The City".

Old 05-07-2008, 04:04 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Alright guys, that's enough... we don't allow personal attacks on CD, and calling San Franciscans pretentious (over and over and over) is a personal attack on most people here. Please stop or I'll have to close this thread, like I did the last time somebody asked about the term Frisco. It is what it is, and we're just trying to be honest...

P.S. My brother lives in San Diego, and I've never heard him call it "D3go" or anything but the full name - except when he lived in Pacific Beach & called it "PB."
I know alot of people in SF who are proud to be pretentious. How is that an attack? Some things you have to let slide on this forum jeez.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:14 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
you could say the same thing about people being so against the term Frisco, it's pretentious and people don't want to admit it.
So if I say, yes we're pretentious

Your going to say, why? what's so great about SF?

Then I'll say, SF is the best place ever and forever more.

Then You'll say, why?

Then I'll say, cuz I said so,

Then you'll say, that's stupid cause everywhere is good.

Then I'll say, but we're better.

Then you'll say, I hate people like you cause your pretentious.

Then I'll say, Yes we're pretentious...

and have the conversation all over again.

See, arent you glad I saved us the trouble.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:17 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
I know alot of people in SF who are proud to be pretentious. How is that an attack? Some things you have to let slide on this forum jeez.
Trust me, I let a LOT of things slide on here... LOL. But when you keep saying it over & over, that starts to push my moderator buttons. And pretentious is always an insult, at least in my knowledge of the English language. I've referred to myself as pretentious once or twice, but usually in a sarcastic or "yeah, I know I'm a brat" kind of way. Not sure how it could be considered positive! Anyway, can we please move on?

Old 05-07-2008, 04:26 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Do these people who call us pretentious even live here?

I am sure that must have an impact on your opinion. IF you live here and in the tenderloin or west oakland perhaps your point of view of SF is different than if you live in San Anselmo or Atherton.

Me spending months in wicker park and wrigleyville are different than if I was in cicero or cabrini green.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:28 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,639,323 times
I lived in San Francisco for 7 years. After a 4 year stint in the South Bay, I just moved back to the east coast.

ANYWAY....I was always told that you never say Frisco because that meant you were a tourist. Also, you never called it a trolley...it's a cable car. also...only tourists lean out of the cable car and try to act all rice-a-roni-ish!

Other things: Kearney Street is pronounced Keer-knee...not Kar-knee.

Carry on!

~Shanny

Old 05-07-2008, 04:29 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,639,323 times
Boy...I say also a lot!

Old 05-07-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
So if I say, yes we're pretentious

Your going to say, why? what's so great about SF?

Then I'll say, SF is the best place ever and forever more.

Then You'll say, why?

Then I'll say, cuz I said so,

Then you'll say, that's stupid cause everywhere is good.

Then I'll say, but we're better.

Then you'll say, I hate people like you cause your pretentious.

Then I'll say, Yes we're pretentious...

and have the conversation all over again.

See, arent you glad I saved us the trouble.
Wow, all I was saying is that it works both ways. Don't read so much into it. And I already know you're proud of being pretentious so I wouldn't try to beat a dead horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland