Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 10:50 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times

Advertisements

I always thought West Oakland would have already happened by now given its super close proximity to SF, but there are large swaths of that have gotten considerably worse since 10 years ago, let alone the nose dive they've taken since COVID.

East Oakland is another beast entirely, and I don't think it'll gentrify any time soon, unfortunately. Too far from downtown Oakland/SF; too underserved by transit; too much crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 12:00 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I always thought West Oakland would have already happened by now given its super close proximity to SF, but there are large swaths of that have gotten considerably worse since 10 years ago, let alone the nose dive they've taken since COVID.

East Oakland is another beast entirely, and I don't think it'll gentrify any time soon, unfortunately. Too far from downtown Oakland/SF; too underserved by transit; too much crime.
Parts of W Oakland were showing signs of gentrification, but it could be that Covid killed that, for awhile at least. I'm thinking SW Oakland, bordering Berkeley, for example. RE agents even had a name for that area straddling the border, I forget what it was. But they were trying to market it.

People seem much more willing to go all the way out to Vallejo than to W or E Oakland. But then again, I don't know how Covid has affected the Vallejo trend.

Old 03-02-2022, 01:57 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
"NOBE "has been trying to be a selling point for the last 10-15 years. The area is still basically the same.

When I say parts of West Oakland are worse-- I mean that there are literally blocks that have been inundated with tents/garbage, and a recent encampment just went up in flames yesterday when propane tanks exploded.

TBH, the only parts of Oakland that seem to have made significant strides are the Broadway corridor sprawling Uptown, Brooklyn Basin, JLS, and a few high rise "luxury" apartments here and there. Temescal and the Lake have long since gentrified, and those neighborhoods nearby have always been desirable/popular.

I think the ballpark in Howard Terminal is the only real chance to make West Oakland more cohesive and integrated with Brooklyn Basin/JLS/ downtown and the Lake. Waterfront property is always going to be desirable so long as it's clean/livable.

I just don't see much potential/incentive to clean up the really rough parts of DEO because there's no reason for anyone to go there unless you already live there and are used to what it has to offer.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:21 PM

43 posts, read 58,464 times
It really depends on how far east you're talking. Note the below opinions are based on house hunting in East Oakland... and as such should be taken with a grain of salt.

I looked at close to 100 homes from Fruitvale to San Leandro. The biggest drawback is lack of transit options. Fruitvale BART is an exception because it's relatively easy to get to. This makes the area up to High St more desirable. The Coliseum BART is in an overall less desirable place with very few amenities nearby (unlike Fruitvale). So the stretch from High St to San Leandro will take a lot longer or may never gentrify.

Between downtown and Fruitvale. Yes, definitely. Prices have skyrocketed, but pockets next to I-80/International will take longer. But honestly it's just a matter of time with the current pricing and lack of housing.

Between Fruitvale and High St. Mostly, yes, but will take a bit longer. Bigger pockets of resistance, and odd mix of industrial and residential near I-80. The closer to the hills the more likely to gentrify or already be gentrified.

Between High St and Mills College. Pockets near High St and Mills College itself... basically the hills with tendrils starting to head down toward I-80. But I don't see much movement down near I-80. It will take a long time for those tendrils to expand beyond where they are now.

Between Mills College and San Leandro. Along the hills, yes. Along the San Leandro border, yes. Outside of that, not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland