Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2023, 12:44 PM

66 posts, read 84,692 times

Advertisements

My family has never been to California, much less the San Francisco area.

Staying at the Hyatt Waterfront on the Oakland side for one night before an early flight out of OAK. Hope to arrive at the hotel by 2 pm. This is on a Sunday. We will not have a vehicle.

Is it feasible to take the ferry to the San Francisco side and then walk/Uber to the Golden Gate Park? We live in a flat state, so walking miles is not an issue, but steep walks that don't seem to end are not something we are used to.

But walking from the ferry terminal to the park looks ok, at least on a map. Is it ok in real life?

If not, what would you suggest for a few hours of sightseeing? We like nature, the sea lions would be an experience from what I have read and interesting to see as we walk around, but I am also reading here that crime is an issue.

Is the walk from the ferry to Golden Gate even a safe walk, or does it go through areas we really should no be entering?

Or do we just stay on the Oakland side and walk around the Jack London area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2023, 09:41 PM

389 posts, read 399,234 times
San Francisco has beautiful scenery and things to do. I have been there numerous times.

You are on the right track by taking a ferry.

It’s a great scenic experience and you get to go under the Bay Bridge.

The ferry will bring you to the Embarcadero, which is the main driving section that runs parallel to actual bay. You can walk to Fisherman’s Wharf from your ferry, won’t be more than a mile.

Check out the Marina District to truly feel what it’s like to live in SF.

Yes, the Golden Gate is nice. You can Uber. But for a better experience, walk to Fisherman’s Wharf and walk to the Taylor Street Cable Car. There, it will take to the Union Square in one trip. You will see Russian Hill, the Coit Tower area, California Street, and the turnaround by Union Square.

Also, check out Buena Vista Park for great views of the city. If you walk to Duboce Avenue near the park at night (or day) you will be standing on a hill with great views.

I hope you enjoy your stay and pass on what you learn to others.

Old 07-19-2023, 06:04 AM

Thank you so much, globetrekker96!

I will follow your very helpful suggestions for a sight-seeing filled afternoon/evening!

Old 07-19-2023, 12:15 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,920 times
Yes, take the ferry from Oakland to the Ferry Building in SF. Check out the Ferry Building, walk north along The Embarcadero to Fisherman's Wharf, visit Pier 39 to see the sea lions, and continue along the water to Ghirardelli Square. From there, you can catch the Powell/Hyde cable car and ride back down to the Union Square area. Walk over to Chinatown, then head back to the Ferry Building and catch the ferry to Oakland. I doubt you will have time to go to Golden Gate Park, even by taking the N-Judah Muni Metro line let alone by walking.

Old 07-20-2023, 02:02 PM

7,255 posts, read 3,785,370 times
I like the idea of walking from the Ferry Building along The Embarcadero up to Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf. And if you have any poop left, continuing to Fort Mason and The Marina. I'd probably want to stop at North Beach for lunch.

Golden Gate Park is the problem. There's no easy way to walk there without killing yourself on hills or walking through sketchy areas. I'd probably Uber that part of it.

Make sure you get the ferry schedule. You don't want to miss the ferry and have to Uber back to Oakland.

Old 07-20-2023, 03:42 PM

487 posts, read 324,032 times
Golden Gate Park is on the opposite side of the city from the ferry building and there is no easy, direct route there, so I would skip it. I'd start out taking BART or the ferry to the Embarcadero like others have said. Then I would take the route that I use when I take my bike to SF. Start north along the Embarcadero and keep walking until you reach the North Beach/Fisherman's Wharf area.

But here is where my suggestion differs. I'd suggest renting bikes in North Beach and continuing west along the coastline. You can stop for chocolate at Ghirardelli Square (if you have locks), then climb that short hill and pass Fort Mason. The Golden Gate Bridge comes into view. There's nothing else like it. You can ride along the Marina Green to Chrissy Field along with the other walkers, joggers and cyclists. There is a newly landscaped park at Chrissy Field that is pretty nice. There is a fort you can explore at the base of the bridge.

When you reach the Golden Gate Bridge, you can cross it or turn around. I'd prefer the scenery of this route over seeing Union Square(no appeal for me unless I'm shopping for gifts) or Chinatown, but your mileage may vary.

Old 07-21-2023, 06:09 PM

Great ideas!

I have made a list, and we will hope for flights that are on-time and great weather so that we can make the most of our afternoon/evening in San Francisco.

Heck, even if the weather is bad, we have raincoats, no problem. Crossing fingers for on-time arrivals though! Lost time delayed at an airport will really interfere with the very full day you all are helping me plan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland