Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:49 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grussem View Post
Salinas is a ****hole, there are NO redeeming qualities about this place. The gangs are out of control here. There are just as many shootings in the "nice" South Salinas neighborhoods as there are the East and Northside. If you DO decide to work at Natividad follow some of the previous suggestions and live in Toro Park or Las Palmas.

I bought a house in Salinas a few years ago and regret having ever done so. I would rather be a renter in Monterey, Toro, or Las Palmas than a homeowner in Salinas.
Just FYI (if you don't know already), Toro and Las Palmas are, techincally, Salinas although I realize they are geographically farther from the core of the city.

As for south getting as many shootings ... not really but, if you look at the previously posted map on this thread ... it DOES look like the bad areas are encroaching on the south. The shooting free areas are getting smaller.

What's really scary is those are the shootings just since January. Who knows how bad it will be by the end of the year.

And all the Mayor has done is ask for a "fasting for peace" initiative. He should be asking for federal troops.

I guess Salinas is just one of those towns that you have to write off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 01:17 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,733 times
Salinas has alot of gangmembers.If your from San Rafael,i dont know if your gonna like it.you should go check it out first.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:27 PM

103 posts, read 367,010 times
Ahhhh Salinas, home of John Steinbeck and the Grapes of Wrath. They have lots of great Mexican cantina's in town. Good Mex food. If you are a tough nut, you will like Salinas. Its not for sissies. Ripley

Old 08-23-2008, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 19,052 times
Seems some folks responding here don't like Salinas that much; well, my wife and I sure do. We moved from a quiet neighborhood in Mountain View to the Maple Park area of Salinas (it abuts Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital, south side of town). We leased a house here for one year before deciding to make the move.

Yes, there is crime here. And there is, for us, a lot of charm as well, and of course glorious weather. The area isn't nearly as congested as other areas I've lived (what the folks here call "rush hour" still makes me smile). If we want to goof around on the Monterey Peninsula, we need only drive about 30 minutes. There are a LOT of great outdoor activities in this area.

As for housing, we very much like our neighborhood; areas further south, such as Las Palmas and Toro, are nice, I suppose, though one would be far more dependent on a car (cycling gets tough there) for groceries and such. Another area you might want to check into is north of Salinas by only a few miles, such as Prunedale and Aromas. They are very pretty.

Having lived here now for almost two years, we have really come to love Salinas, and are discovering evermore neat spots to visit. Our only regret is in having not moved here sooner.

Best of luck
Dr. Dave

Old 08-31-2008, 02:44 AM

3 posts, read 41,229 times
Default A POSITIVE on Salinas

My mother is the new Chief Nursing Officer at Natividad. We moved here from a very nice part of Connecticut, and absolutely love it here in Salinas. It was the best decision we ever made. We are currently renting a house in CreekBridge- 4br/3ba $2200/mo- and live on a beautiful well manicured cul de sac, 4 out of 6 of our neighbors came over within the first week to welcome us to the neighborhood and invite us to a little block party they were having with the other families in the neighborhood that weekend. Nothing like that had EVER happened to us in Connecticut, so if this is the norm in CA we are amazed! I have two young children and am staying with my parents while my husband is in Iraq, if you are planning on having kids soon this really is the place to be. I do playgroups at the Salinas Adult School- which is the 3rd most federally funded government child development center in the state, and also in Monterey and Pacific Grove, all of them are absolutely amazing no matter what your “green” preferences are. My point is that it the county is a great place to raise your kids. Even though I do love my neighbors, I know that gang violence is only a few miles away and that all the pesticides on the farms do make me a little nervous. If you would have these same feelings it is not a far drive from Salinas to Monterey or other local towns.

I don’t care what other people have said I really have to disagree and say that I do not think that there would be a better place to start and raise a family. Hello- farms, fresh fruit, great museums and aquariums, tons of parks and opportunities to be outside in fabulous weather, beautiful scenery (beaches, mountains), and lots of different areas that would pretty much suit any persons needs- Can you tell I love it here? lol

Old 08-31-2008, 02:51 AM

3 posts, read 41,229 times
[quote=suzannavik;5066365]My mother is the new Chief Nursing Officer at Natividad. We moved here from a very nice part of Connecticut, and absolutely love it here in Salinas. It was the best decision we ever made. We are currently renting a house in CreekBridge- 4br/3ba $2200/mo- and live on a beautiful well manicured cul de sac, 4 out of 6 of our neighbors came over within the first week to welcome us to the neighborhood and invite us to a little block party they were having with the other families in the neighborhood that weekend. Nothing like that had EVER happened to us in Connecticut, so if this is the norm in CA we are amazed! I have two young children and am staying with my parents while my husband is in Iraq, if you are planning on having kids soon this really is the place to be. I do playgroups at the Salinas Adult School- which is the 3rd most federally funded government child development center in the state, and also in Monterey and Pacific Grove, all of them are absolutely amazing no matter what your “green” preferences are. My point is that it the county is a great place to raise your kids. Even though I do love my neighbors, I know that gang violence is only a few miles away and that all the pesticides on the farms do make me a little nervous. If you would have these same feelings it is not a far drive from Salinas to Monterey or other local towns.

I don’t care what other people have said I really have to disagree and say that I do not think that there would be a better place to start and raise a family. Hello- farms, fresh fruit, great museums and aquariums, tons of parks and opportunities to be outside in fabulous weather, beautiful scenery (beaches, mountains), and lots of different areas that would pretty much suit any persons needs- Can you tell I love it here? lol

(Oh and if you do get the job and this influences your decision in any way please tell Carol Jordan that I did a wonderful job recruiting you )

Old 10-15-2008, 06:49 AM

23 posts, read 96,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I guess Salinas is just one of those towns that you have to write off.
well, even if i choose to live elsewhere i wouldn't say that. salinas is a fine town with lots of qualities.

the last area i lived was toro park, but if i moved back i would live in south salinas, pererably on of the streets with tree names off s. main. a closer look at the google map shows only two homicides south of west market and both close to market, an area that's always been a tad seedy... but that won't stop me from going to central park to play tennis... no place is perfect!

my reaction to natividad was that it wouldn't be the greatest place to work, it's kind of the redheaded stepchild hospital of the area, but suzannavik would know more about that than i would.

a last remark: when we go there these days it's for vacation, and pretty much just to see family. the main things to do or see are all seen and done in a few days, going farther afield like big basin, or digging deeper like the boronda adobe, can keep you occupied a couple of weeks at most... but you can say that for any small town.

Last edited by guignol; 10-15-2008 at 06:57 AM..

Old 03-15-2009, 04:54 PM

6 posts, read 32,679 times
Avoid the core by all means! I was born and raised there until I was 23( I'm 40 now). I visit friends every year and yet to have seen any improvement.
Stay away from Castroville, Seaside, New Monterey, Marina and Chular. These are ghetos!!!
Anything along highway 68 is good.
If you are starting a family, try Aromas. It's like Mayberry. There is only enough water to support about 900 homes in the valley, this prevents big developers from wrecking it.
Prunedale is ok too. You should have some appreciation for rural living either way.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:36 AM

84 posts, read 293,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
If you don't want to live in Salinas Monterey and Carmel are close by, but they are a lot more pricey.

My mom grew up in Salinas, and it definitely has its problems, but there are some good areas.
But WHERE are those good areas?..

Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 AM

84 posts, read 293,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I do know some people who live in south Salinas who say that part of town is ok. And there's some very ritzy but, also, expensive Salinas areas close to Monterey.

But ... the murder rate is hitting record highs this year. My husband is in law enforcement and, basically, it doesn't get any worse than Salinas.

There's such a stigma with that town ... and, unfortunatley it does seem to live up to its reputation in many parts. I personally wouldn't buy a house there.
Greaat...no wonder why their pretty houses are so cheap. That explains it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland