Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 11:31 PM

7 posts, read 19,744 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Ok. This is my situation and I need some help badly as I am new here.
My wife works in Roseville and I will be working either in SFO/Mountain View.
I know that commuting daily between these two places is not a realistic thing. If we were to rent a place inbetween, what would be the ideal place. I was thinking of Vacaville/Fairfield. But I have no idea about these places, if they are safe. etc. Also How tough is to commute daily from here to SFO/Mountain View. Someone was telling me that a commute to SFO may be possible, but Mountain View would be extremely tough. Can I take the car to some metro station and then take the train from there ? Please advise. I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 02:12 AM

226 posts, read 1,126,341 times
It's going to be a very long commute, even with public transportation. Hopefully, you can find a way to complete some work on the train, or, just maybe, use that time to relax. Or, better yet, you and your wife can make arrangements to telecommute from home, maybe even switch employers.

If you have no dependents, I would suggest renting near the Fairfield/Suisun train station. To get to Roseville, your wife could take Capitol Corridor northward, but from Google Maps, it looks like driving will be much faster. To get to the peninsula, take Capitol Corridor to Richmond BART Station, transfer to BART and take the Millbrae train. If you are heading to SFO, transfer at San Bruno Station. From Millbrae, you can transfer to Caltrain and head to Mountain View. You could also take Capitol Corridor straight to Great America and switch onto VTA bus/light rail to Mountain View. Once again, unless you are interested a 2-3 hour commute, that is, 4-6 hours round trip, I highly recommend against Mountain View due to travel time, unless you are driving in non-rush hour traffic.

If you do have children, Travis Unified has good schools, generally more highly-performing than surrounding Vacaville Unified and Fairfield Unified.

You could also look into Benicia, which has even better schools, Martinez, or Marina Bay in Richmond (Point Richmond) if you have no kids.

Generally, public transportation is much better than driving in rush hour, while driving is more time saving and better than public transportation in off-peak traffic.

Last edited by tennis368fan; 07-14-2008 at 02:49 AM..

Old 07-14-2008, 02:16 AM

409 posts, read 1,830,958 times
Make friends with the ACE train whilst one of you finds a job somewhere sane or live separately.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:52 AM

226 posts, read 1,126,341 times
ACE does not stop near Mountain View or Roseville, and where ACE stops in the South Bay, Capitol Corridor also stops, mostly anyways.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:01 AM

253 posts, read 1,332,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsblue View Post
Hello,

Ok. This is my situation and I need some help badly as I am new here.
My wife works in Roseville and I will be working either in SFO/Mountain View.
This isn't going to work for very long. You'll both have to drive. Whichever one of you has the lower-paying job needs to quit and find something closer to the other one's work - there are still plenty of jobs available in both areas.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:51 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,167,057 times
You're both nuts, and I agree with the above poster. Either that, or one of you can rent a room during the week in on the peninsula and come home to Roseville on the weekend. Otherwise I can't see it working for long.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:02 PM

802 posts, read 2,266,042 times
A friend of mine was in a similar situation: he had a job in Palo Alto, she had a job in Davis. They decided to split the difference by living in Danville. It sucked for both of them. I'm sure that it contributed to their eventual divorce a couple of years later.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis368fan View Post
It's going to be a very long commute, even with public transportation. Hopefully, you can find a way to complete some work on the train, or, just maybe, use that time to relax. Or, better yet, you and your wife can make arrangements to telecommute from home, maybe even switch employers.

If you have no dependents, I would suggest renting near the Fairfield/Suisun train station. To get to Roseville, your wife could take Capitol Corridor northward, but from Google Maps, it looks like driving will be much faster. To get to the peninsula, take Capitol Corridor to Richmond BART Station, transfer to BART and take the Millbrae train. If you are heading to SFO, transfer at San Bruno Station. From Millbrae, you can transfer to Caltrain and head to Mountain View. You could also take Capitol Corridor straight to Great America and switch onto VTA bus/light rail to Mountain View. Once again, unless you are interested a 2-3 hour commute, that is, 4-6 hours round trip, I highly recommend against Mountain View due to travel time, unless you are driving in non-rush hour traffic.

If you do have children, Travis Unified has good schools, generally more highly-performing than surrounding Vacaville Unified and Fairfield Unified.

You could also look into Benicia, which has even better schools, Martinez, or Marina Bay in Richmond (Point Richmond) if you have no kids.

Generally, public transportation is much better than driving in rush hour, while driving is more time saving and better than public transportation in off-peak traffic.
Thank you.. that gives some idea.. Thankfully, we don't have any dependents (for now!). So we need not worry on that front..

I was thinking, my wife could drive to Roseville, while I can use the metro.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwstrnkid View Post
A friend of mine was in a similar situation: he had a job in Palo Alto, she had a job in Davis. They decided to split the difference by living in Danville. It sucked for both of them. I'm sure that it contributed to their eventual divorce a couple of years later.
ah..definitely don't want to go there !

Old 07-15-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Either that, or one of you can rent a room during the week in on the peninsula and come home to Roseville on the weekend. Otherwise I can't see it working for long.
Thats definitely one option we are considering..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland