Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 03:37 PM

8 posts, read 92,434 times

Advertisements

Hello,

When I move to the area in March, I'm considering driving. I'm going to bring just enough stuff that it would fit in a moving van. (I'm a single guy)

I'll likely just come across I-80. I won't be in a big hurry, I'm thinking to drive 8-10 hours per day. I'm especially interested in what to expect between Nebraska and CA. Can one drive across the Rocky Mountains in one day? Where do they start and end (in terms of towns along I-80)?

Thanks!

PS I'll actually be coming from NYC, but I know the route between there and Chicago very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 08:44 PM

396 posts, read 972,138 times
When we moved to CA from NJ 12 years ago, we drove I-80. We moved the beginning of Nov and hit some snow in Wyoming. If you are driving in March, be prepared for some travel delays especially going through the Nev/CA border. You will be going VERY high to go over the Sierra Mountains and depending on the weather, they will sometimes close 80. As far as the Rockies, they start very gradually going up in Nebraska and go until just before Salt Lake City (SLC is on the other side of the Rockies). You might also hit bad weather going through there. We also just did this in June when we went on vacation and the weather was much nicer.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:00 PM

6 posts, read 55,796 times
Whatever you do, avoid Hasting's Cutoff.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:04 AM

34 posts, read 448,928 times
I've travelled between NYC and SFO on 80 a few times; here are my advice to you.

80 is largely very smooth traveling, especially coming from east. Although it can snow in March, 80 is such important commercial route that the snow plow trucks are out even before the snow stops. You will have to be real unlucky to be completely stopped by snow on I80.

But since you are not in a hurry, if heavy snow is forecasted then you can hangout in town. It's kind of fun for a big city person to get stuck in a small town.

You can expect to travel 500 miles a day max. Therefore you cannot travel thru the rockies in a day. Plan ahead so you stay at larger cities (Omaha, Laramie, SLC, Reno, etc.) because a good meal is hard to find late at night in small towns.

There is not much sightseeing along I80. The only fun spot for me personally is Reno.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:23 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
The plains/prairie go as far West as Cheyenne, so it's long rolling hills as you gain elevation through Nebraska from sea level to 5000' at Cheyenne. As you cross about mid-point NE, you'll see the land become much drier and more desolate.

There's a steep pass just West of Cheyenne that takes you over to Laramie, and then it's rolling mountains through to Utah. It's actually mountain passes leading to high alitude basins, but the passes are generally many miles in length, with few steep grades or tight turning roads.

The most extreme "pass" as you travel westward would then be Parley's Canyon from Park City down to Salt Lake City. Watch your speed ... it's not uncommon for the locals to go down through there at 85-95 mph .... sometimes it's well patrolled, sometimes ... not.

On clear roads with normal traffic (mostly heavy trucks), I'd figure 8+ hours of travel time from Cheyenne to SLC (about 450 miles). SLC is the end of the Rockies, and you will have traveled through an area where you'll cross the continental divide several times.

You'd do best to plan your travel to depart Cheyenne in the early AM and figure a stop somewhere around the mid-point. Little America works well in Cheyenne and then in Western WY.

Due to the uncertain weather patterns and road conditions at this time of the year, you should watch the weather & road reports for any sign of possible snowstorms/high winds. If they're forecast, it would be best to stop early in one of the bigger towns (about 100 miles apart enroute) while motel space is available. If I80 shuts down, motels & truck stops fill up quickly.

Remember to carry an enroute kit .... food, beverages, sleeping bag, and appropriate cold weather clothing in case you do get delayed due to road conditions someplace where's there's no facilities. There are also times when a truck cab heater may be doing it's all to keep the windshield clear and it's nice to have adequate clothing to put on to keep yourself comfortable.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:52 PM

26 posts, read 169,435 times
Why does 8-10 hours of driving on 65-75mph speed limit roads only lead to 500 miles/day?

Is it better to sleep at random cheap motels that arrive at the 8-10 hour mark, or to try to plan ahead and reserve rooms at places near bigger cities?

Old 02-03-2007, 06:57 PM

110 posts, read 473,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausalito View Post
Why does 8-10 hours of driving on 65-75mph speed limit roads only lead to 500 miles/day?

Is it better to sleep at random cheap motels that arrive at the 8-10 hour mark, or to try to plan ahead and reserve rooms at places near bigger cities?

Stops for gas, lunch, rest area breaks, construction delays, etc. 500 miles a day is very realistic for an 8 to 10 hr. day. Sure if someone wanted to try and average 70 mph and have all stops like nascar pit stops and and not have any delays then you could average more than 500 miles a day, but why would anyone want to do that for days at a time?

I have found that random motels work well as long as you stick with well known chains, (Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, Sleep Inn) they are all relatively new, relatively inexpensive, have inside entrances, serve continental breakfasts and are right off the Interstate all across the country.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:06 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvalor View Post
Hello,

When I move to the area in March, I'm considering driving. I'm going to bring just enough stuff that it would fit in a moving van. (I'm a single guy)

I'll likely just come across I-80. I won't be in a big hurry, I'm thinking to drive 8-10 hours per day. I'm especially interested in what to expect between Nebraska and CA. Can one drive across the Rocky Mountains in one day? Where do they start and end (in terms of towns along I-80)?

Thanks!

PS I'll actually be coming from NYC, but I know the route between there and Chicago very well.
The only suggestion I have is don't hit the California Nevada border and try to drive it at the end of your day. It is mountain terrain with a lot of turns and if you are tired you will be stressed out after driving 8-10 hours. I would recommend you shack up for the night in Reno, have some fun and head out in the morning. It will be a much more pleasant drive and you can take in the beautiful scenery instead of zooming through at night.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:08 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,586 times
I have driven this route a few times. Chicago through Nevada is BORING.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:44 AM

34 posts, read 448,928 times
Driver fatique is a real danger for this kind of long road trips. It's better to pace it and make it a safe and enjoyable trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland