Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,967 times

Advertisements

I’m currently a college student in Jersey City, NJ and I’m planning on moving to San Francisco with my girlfriend. She already lives and goes to school there, but we’re not sure exactly how much we’d need to be able to make it there living on our own for a few years till we graduate.

We’re planning on moving together and a studio is fine with us. We’re also planning on having some money saved up before the move (5–6k) to help facilitate the move as much as possible. We’re just not sure if this would even be possible, or if we should start looking at other cities.

Could we do this on $2200—$2400 a month income between both of us?

The other city we were looking at was San Diego. If you guys have any information or experience that would be helpful for us we would be extremely happy to hear it. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by FireEmblem; 04-16-2009 at 09:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 08:59 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,059 times
2200-2400 a month total between the 2 of you, or is that just for rent?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
2200-2400 a month total between the 2 of you, or is that just for rent?
Oh, total income. We could do a bit more most likely, but we're trying to be realistic, since finishing school is important for both of us and we don't want that to suffer.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:25 PM

652 posts, read 1,785,346 times
Default Reality check

Can you stop by my place in oregon and bring me some cold cuts and tasty kake? I miss em. Maybe stop by Garruto's and get some sausages.

Ok in SF that amount will not allow you to live well at all. I'm guessing what you describe as wanting will cost $1500+ just for rent. That 5-6K expenses will mostly go for first and last months rent/deposit. On the good side rent boards are strong out there and you have some protections.
SD will be less expensive and much much different, It is almost another country compared to SF. IT has a very cool transit system, trolley's! I loved em.
You can stay in the east bay and go to SF on bart if you want to stay in the bay area.

Mostly you'll have to increase your income to be able to afford to stay there at a decent level. I've seen good normal people live in hovels and accept crap service just to be in the city. This lowers standards for all and a lot of landlords take advantage of it. I expect your girlfriend has seen this by now.
Plus'? It's SF man, good food, good coffee, nightlife, good transit, nice location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEmblem View Post
Oh, total income. We could do a bit more most likely, but we're trying to be realistic, since finishing school is important for both of us and we don't want that to suffer.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:29 PM

652 posts, read 1,785,346 times
Default reality check

Ok in SF that amount will not allow you to live well at all. I'm guessing what you describe as wanting will cost $1500+ just for rent. That 5-6K expenses will mostly go for first and last months rent/deposit. On the good side rent boards are strong out there and you have some protections.
SD will be less expensive and much much different, It is almost another country compared to SF. IT has a very cool transit system, trolley's! I loved em.
You can stay in the east bay and go to SF on bart if you want to stay in the bay area.

Mostly you'll have to increase your income to be able to afford to stay there at a decent level. I've seen good normal people live in hovels and accept crap service just to be in the city. This lowers standards for all and a lot of landlords take advantage of it. I expect your girlfriend has seen this by now.
Plus'? It's SF man, good food, good coffee, nightlife, good transit, nice location.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 04-17-2009, 04:57 PM
E14

147 posts, read 545,547 times
you could live somewhat comfortably in the east bay on that, but you would really be squeezing yourself trying to live in the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland