Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 03:11 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Of course your friend and relatives have heard of SF because you told them you are from here That doesn't make it a global city and there are countless rankings online where you can read where SF stands globally. BTW, even that status is largely due to the high tech industry in San Jose!

If you go to say a village in Mexico, chances are low that they ever head of SF. But every single one of them would have heard of LA, NYC, Chicago or DC!

You are a sad small little man.
Just a quick scan on the net, and you know I can find a million of these....

The readers of Condé Nast Traveler magazine voted San Francisco Best U.S. City in their annual Readers’ Choice Awards; San Francisco has been ranked #1 19 out of 20 years and this is the 17th consecutive year that the city has been honored with the Best U.S. City award.2009 Condé Nast Traveler Readers' Choice Travel Awards: The Best Hotels, Resorts, Cities, Islands, Airlines, and more on Concierge.com

San Francisco named one of “The World’s Happiest Cities” in an article posted Sept. 2, 2009 on Forbes.com. San Francisco, which ranks seventh out of 10 listed cities, is the only city in North America to be included in what the magazine calls “urban centers closely associated with unmitigated joy.”

TripAdvisor’s survey of more than 3,400 U.S. respondents placed San Francisco in second place after New York City for favorite city honors.

San Francisco was named the most “walkable” city in the nation by the Web site WalkScore.com. The city scored 86 out of 100 based on residents’ proximity to services and amenities. New York was second with 83 and Boston third with 79.

Travel + Leisure Magazine – San Francisco was named the #2 city in the United States and Canada and the #10 city in the world in T+L’s World’s Best Awards 2008 readers’ survey. San Francisco has been ranked in the #1 or #2 spot on the list of Top Cities in the United States and Canada for the past 13 years since the magazine started the readers’ poll in 1996.

The Urban Institute, in a first-of-its-kind comprehensive statistical portrait of cultural vitality, ranks San Francisco No. 1 in three of seven measures: non-profit organizations, artist jobs and employment in commercial and non-profit arts establishments. In creating this “portrait,” researchers scanned data from the nation’s 61 largest metropolitan areas to “illuminate the intersection of arts, culture and community well-being.”

Executive Travel magazine readers name San Francisco winner of the 2006 Executive Travel Leading Edge Award. San Francisco was voted Best Domestic City for a Three Day Weekend over all of her competitors around the world. Readers nominated winners in 65 categories in an open format ballot.

November 2005 – The readers of Condé Nast Traveler magazine voted San Francisco the #1 travel destination in the United States in the annual Readers’ Choice Awards. This is the 17th of 18 years, and the 13th consecutive year that San Francisco has been designated “Best City in the U.S.”

Old 08-14-2010, 03:16 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
is the only city in North America to be included in what the magazine calls “urban centers closely associated with unmitigated joy.”
Yeah right! Tell that to that German tourist who recently got executed in SF. As far as I know tourists don't get killed randomly even in Tijuana!

Whats your point anyways? SF is a popular tourist destination in US and so is San Antonio, TX. Big deal!

Old 08-14-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah right! Tell that to that German tourist who recently got executed in SF. As far as I know tourists don't get killed randomly even in Tijuana!

Whats your point anyways? SF is a popular tourist destination in US and so is San Antonio, TX. Big deal!
San Antonio is a huge draw in Texas, because.......what else are you gonna do? Everyone goes there.
San Francisco is a major world tourist destination city, thats the difference, but I think you already knew that.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:30 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
I manage a hotel in San Francisco's Union Square. Half the week I live in my apartment, the other half, I live in the hotel.

Right now, 75% of our guests are from Europe. Most of them are doing a big LA/LV/SF loop. Walk around the streets of Union Square, Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, or North Beach and you will hear accents from the Southern US, Northeastern US, UK, Australia, as well as dozens and dozens of foreign languages.

San Francisco is absolutely known all over the world.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:36 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:

ok now you're just getting ****ing stupid!

Really?

Old 08-14-2010, 08:36 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
^ If the tourists are in the drug trade or know someone who is then yes, but other than that, no

Old 08-14-2010, 09:21 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
^ If the tourists are in the drug trade or know someone who is then yes, but other than that, no
They don't have to be to get caught in a crossfire:

1 a : firing (as in combat) from two or more points so that the lines of fire cross b : a situation wherein the forces of opposing factions meet, cross, or clash <caught in a political cross fire>
2 : rapid or heated exchange of words
Crossfire - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Old 08-14-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I manage a hotel in San Francisco's Union Square. Half the week I live in my apartment, the other half, I live in the hotel.

Right now, 75% of our guests are from Europe. Most of them are doing a big LA/LV/SF loop. Walk around the streets of Union Square, Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, or North Beach and you will hear accents from the Southern US, Northeastern US, UK, Australia, as well as dozens and dozens of foreign languages.

San Francisco is absolutely known all over the world.
Thats cool. I always notice that when in SF, tons of foreigners. The only foreigners I see here in DFW are from Mexico or Louisiana....

Old 08-14-2010, 10:19 PM

30 posts, read 75,397 times
I love San Francisco. I think it is the best city in the world. I love the fog, the location, the architecture, the scenery, and all the parks. It is absolutely beautiful. We were recently there, and we left two days ago... I was completely sad to leave. I'm originally a Wisconsin native, and I absolutely love being a Wisconsinite... I mean, I love it... But I would give it all up to live in San Francisco.

The only thing I don't like is the traffic... It makes me really nervous.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:48 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
You know its about time you stop your more-experienced-than-thou nonsense. We all know how much you love to brag about Europe travel experience. So just to be clear, I wasn't even born in US and lived in three different countries!

To me its painfully obvious that you have never been out of the bay area bubble! and all your traveling has done little to educate you.

SF is not even among the top 10 US cities let alone be a global city! There was a time when Golden Gate Bridge was considered an engineering marvel but that was about 50 years back. By current global standard this is nothing special! Given your ignorant rants I really doubt you have any clue about the status of current Asian cities. But rest assured, more people in the world know about Hong Kong, Singapore or Dubai than SF. SF looks like a tiny, decrepit village compared to these places and its simply a fact and not a matter of opinion!

So next time, let your traveling be a learning experience instead of something that just reinforces your frog-in-a-well attitude

I have never met anyone in my entire life (here or anywhere) that has never heard of San Francisco.

Do you even realize that you contradict yourself at every turn. You mock me for living outside of the country and/or traveling, yet tell me I've never been out of the Bay Area bubble (I've lived up in Sacramento too, btw)...which is it??

And wow, you say you've lived in three countries and were born outside of the US? I'd like to hear about your experiences Andy...you must have such a great perspective. I'd be interested since the things you complain about the most about SF, are far more problematic in other countries- even weather patterns. Methinks you're really just lying.

I'd venture to guess that 100% of the posters here would agree that San Francisco (whether you like the City or not) is well known around the world.

You said that San Francisco isn't a top US city...or top global city. What does this mean exactly- top in what? Population? Happiness quotient? Heart disease risk factors? Land mass? Most skyscrapers?

In addition, bringing up the Golden Gate Bridge just makes no sense in the context of it being a Global City. Surely you're not suggesting that San Francisco throw up a new bridge solely to show off their engineering prowess to the rest of the world?

I just can't argue with stupid anymore. My "ignorant rants" as you've said, are really nonexistent. Happily, I don't really rant about anything since I love where I live and don't have a darn thing to complain about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland